Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Idea: Ace Combat Fictional Aircraft Set

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Idea: Ace Combat Fictional Aircraft Set

Postby bohba13 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:55 am

it's just an idea I got a while back. I have the X-02 Wyvern and the ADFX Morrigan. Two Prominent Aircraft in the Ace Combat Series. Now I am aware of the physical issues of portraying these aircraft in FG as Ace Combat isn't fully realistic and some of the numbers are fudged. This idea is one I badly want to do, but making an aircraft in FG is not a practical endeavor for a sophomore in high school. I can however work as a beta for you geniuses who work magic in FG, or new comers who want to take a crack at this. Weapons are optional but not recommended as those the weapons in AC are totally unrealistic. (a missile that will, after missing, TURN AROUND back to its target until it either hits it or runs out of propellant) but the aircraft are just too awesome to not try to make. You guys, the devs, the guys who make the planes, you guys are just awesome, and I respect you for the difficulty for what you do as some of the information you need for these planes are classified, and this has bugs that constantly need fixing. So if you can't do it, I'll respect that as it is your call, but you're more then capable, in my eyes, of doing this. So consider this a throwing down of the gauntlet, a challenge for those who will take it. Thank you. :D

Anyone willing to contribute can reply below.
.xml? no problem
3D graphics? *ragequits*
Favorite aircraft: P-51, B-17, SR-71, X-02,
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
bohba13

Callsign: Seminole-1
Version: 2.12.1

Re: Idea: Ace Combat Fictional Aircraft Set

Postby Johan G » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:49 am

Being younger is probably only an advantage. ;)

I would recommend looking at some shorter Blender introductory tutorials on YouTube. I have found the online documentation at the Blender wiki rather helpful. There is a slightly steep learning curve in the first weeks, but it is in large parts a rather nice piece of software after that. Blender is also a lot more versatile than most people realise.

As for getting the aircraft into FlightGear it is not entirely impossible, just a bit of work. The biggest problem is finding the way around the various bits and pieces of documentation, though looking at existing aircraft often helps (a lot).

If you start by browsing around in your data/Aircraft directory in your FlightGear installation and in the aircraft developer portal on the wiki, you might get a feeling for what is needed in that as well as the 3D modelling department, though things will seem confusing and complex in the beginning.

I'd say go for it! Literally all of the aircraft developers started from scratch and trough trial and error at some point, and many of them have become quite good. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby bohba13 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:56 am

thank you, someone else turned me to Blender as well on deviantART, now that I have a better computer, I guess I'll give it a shot. And you're right, even the best were at my point, so I just need to find out how the hell to get those things to fly!

let me guess, you sig is from a jingles video?
.xml? no problem
3D graphics? *ragequits*
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
bohba13

Postby Johan G » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:30 am

bohba13 wrote in Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:56 am:I guess I'll give it a shot. And you're right, even the best were at my point...

Be aware that it might be addictive. :wink: :D

bohba13 wrote in Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:56 am:let me guess, you sig is from a jingles video?

I do not know, so I don't think so. It's paraphrased from a YouTube video by Australian pilots flying "a bit low" over some beaches etc. in general aviation aircraft. :wink: Never managed to find it again though.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Johan G

Postby bohba13 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:36 am

okay, I just heard the Mighty Jingles say that in a War Thunder video. And Blender is giving me the "HA! you have no clue do you?" treatment.
.xml? no problem
3D graphics? *ragequits*
bohba13

Postby Johan G » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:37 pm

A good starting point for Blender is their wiki manual.

This series of video tutorials for a more recent version might be good too: Blender 2.6 Tutorial 01 - The Basics.

What worked for me was mixing reading their manual, watching blender tutorials and trying out things one by one myself. The interface is really different from anything else that I have used, so my first two (full time) weeks was both confusing and frustrating. But after a while I started to understand some of the concepts. Blenders real strength (and weakness when you are new) is the ability to to most things with one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the mouse.

The way I have set up Blender for modelling is very near this tutorial: Blender 2.49b Reference Image Setup for Modeling workflow though that is for a very old version of Blender, though I use that variant for various reasons.
Johan G

Postby helijah » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi bohba13

In fact, if blender is very different it is voluntary because its user interface has been designed to optimize the graphic flow. After a few days of learning, it's all other that you will find strange :)

Regards Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:14 pm

some of the most active FG contributors are teenagers and some aren't even in high school yet - so your youth is in fact an advantage like Johan said.
What you describe is all perfectly do-able, and we have lots of similar aircraft with fictional backgrounds, see: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19238
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby bohba13 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Wow, it's great to see so much support from the community, it may take a while, and I won't have time to learn C++ until the summer, but thanks.
.xml? no problem
3D graphics? *ragequits*
bohba13

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:21 pm

I think you misunderstood: there's really no need to learn any programming language to start developing an aircraft, especially not C++
Some aircraft make use of a built-in scripting language called Nasal, but that's not rocket science either (unless Philosopher wrote the corresponding code)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby bohba13 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Okay, first aircraft I'll work on is the F-3 Shinden II.

only things that may be trouble is variable geometry and the burner assembly as it has thrust vectoring.
.xml? no problem
3D graphics? *ragequits*
bohba13

Postby bohba13 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:02 am

Before I start work on the F-3 I decided to do some practice on the X-02's .xml files, adding the gun and hud from the T-50.
goal 1 - get the aircraft to work again.
goal 2 - get the hud & gun to work.
.xml? no problem
3D graphics? *ragequits*
bohba13

Postby bohba13 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 pm

the gun is working, as is the aircraft. now to find a way to flesh out that cockpit.
.xml? no problem
3D graphics? *ragequits*
bohba13

Postby hvengel » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Good you figured out that one of the better approaches for a noob is to start out working on improving something that is already there but needs work. It limits the steepness of learning curve and allows you to actually get something done in the short term. This allows you to keep the frustration level down while learning how things work. Only a small % of aircraft development noobs who start a new aircraft without having done some previous work on another aircraft actually manage produce something worth while. It does happen but it is rare - the recent Bonanza work by a noob is an example of one of these rare cases. A much larger % of those who start off doing smaller tasks on existing aircraft end up making a significant contribution either by doing smaller things to a lot of aircraft or by transforming an existing aircraft into something much better (the P-51D is an example of one of these) or after building a decent skill set doing their own aircraft from scratch.

Doing some cockpit work on the X-02 sounds like the next logical step for you. This will allow you to do some 3D modeling (pick something that is fairly simple for your first 3D model) and more XML work and will move you another step up the learning curve while still allowing you to get something working in a relatively short time frame.

We come in all different ages here. Some of us are very old and some are very young and many are somewhere in between. It does not matter. We can all learn new things and if we try we can all contribute something. What matters is your attitude and aptitude and you appear to be on the right track with both..
hvengel
Retired

Postby CA1012_Falcon5 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:19 am

has there been any progress made on this project? if so, and the aircraft is compleet, i would like to download it.
CA1012_Falcon5

Callsign: Falcon/MIA0010
Version: 2016.2.1

Return to Aircraft