Board index FlightGear Media

Let there be light!

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Let there be light!

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm testing a more sophisticated lighting scheme, which uses high-intensity light (which can lead to a blinding effect), deep shadows and texture desaturation under clear skies. I have to say, on my screen it comes out really impressive.

Here's a helicopter flight over (and into) Grand Canyon in bright desert light:

Here I'm taking a group of virtual climbers from Icy Bay (Alaska) to Bagley Ice Field below Mt. Logan (Canada) - with the Twin Otter rigged with skies to land on the ice.

Departure from Icy Bay - a steep climb ahead:

Crossing the Yahtse Glacier:

Mt. Logan comes into view:

The Otter has landed (there's really not that much friction... I've tried this for the first time with skies...)

And back, towards Mt. St. Elias (they're all in the 18.000 range, with Icy Bay at sea level, so you get some climb and descent to do). Nice example of the whiteout effect of the intense light - but it fits well the blinding light reflection of the full sun from the ice:

Look at that horizon haze! I know I coded most of it, but sometimes I'm just stunned how the effects come out under some conditions:

It's not called Icy Bay for nothing :-)

Thorsten

Re: Let there be light!

Postby Johan G » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Absolutely jaw-dropping! 8)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby punkepanda » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm

About time ;) Nice to see that my contribution to the discussion put you on artistic tought. I am glad to help out :)
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Postby fmg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Looks like there is a bit hope on the way.
I found the last FG versions always looking to dull and dark and a bit greenish.
To make screenshots look natural I have to brighten them up afterwards, what I normally would avoid with 8bit data.
Example below:
Original screenshot from FG 2.12. above.
After post processing below. Lights tend to burn out due to 8bit data.

Can't tell what looks good on your screens. Just an idea: Maybe you can tell or show us.
Fell free to post process the upper part and show it. I don't won't to hijack the thread. If this disturbs here just tell, so we can move it if there is some interest for it.
Just for information: my screen is calibrated to 6500 K, Gamma 1.8, 100 cd/m2.
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby someguy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 am

Amazing, simply amazing. Thorsten, please say this will be in 3.2!
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Philosopher » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:30 am

«Sit lux!» ego de hoc, quod optimum est, dico :) Sol tua revera lucet.
Philosopher

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:44 am

About time Nice to see that my contribution to the discussion put you on artistic tought. I am glad to help out

The even more amazing thing is how a post you made about how useless ALS noise is and how unstable it makes FG caused me to think about perception back in 2011 and how it made me try to improve the perception of hard contrasts in spring last year (and other things). And that somehow reading through a course on the physiology and psychology of color perception made me turn to an artistic approach rather than trying to capture the nuances of the eye's and perception system's response to light better.

Well, either that, or your contribution was largely to interrupt ongoing development of mine for two weeks with pointless discussions...

Amazing, simply amazing. Thorsten, please say this will be in 3.2!

Well, no, sorry - feature freeze for 3.2 is on. It's also a dangerous thing to render that way - it looks quite awful if it goes wrong, so any dynamic computation needs to be carefully tuned not to run into bad corners.
Thorsten

Postby adrian » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:22 pm

+1 like from me. I can't run FG anymore (no graphics card) but glad to see rendering improvements.
adrian

Postby firefly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 am

I am not able to see pictures on Thorsten's post, I have tried viewing this thread on multiple devices, I can see pictures in other post on this thread.
firefly

Callsign: Firefly
Version: 3+

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:21 pm

they're all inaccessible currently, just look at any other threads where Thorsten posted images: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22780
or open any of his image URLs directly: http://users.jyu.fi/~trenk/pics/slopelines01.jpg

As you can see, it's not a local problem.
It's for a reason that we encourage people to upload certain images to the wiki, so that they will continue to remain available no matter the circumstances, and no matter the degree of community involvement - and regardless of people taking a hiatus from FlightGear.

For the sake of completeness it's worth pointing out that images/files hosted via space provided by your employer may obviously also be subject to your employers terms, i.e. beyond your control - not only if employment changes. Which is why using image sharing services is usually more future-proof
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I deleted the pictures intentionally, since for reasons explained elsewhere, I do not longer want to participate in the forum.

Note that I don't see the forum as anything that has to be future-proof - the subset of information worth preserving I typically summarize on the wiki, and I also make a choice what subset of the screenshots I want to hand over to the project and what is intended to be a an illustration of ongoing work which is not important a year from now.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:45 pm

I kinda assumed that, but obviously didn't want to draw any false conclusions - what a pity, thanks for clarifying though ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Media