Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

McDonnell Douglas MD-11

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: McDonnell Douglas MD-11

Postby ja sam niko » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Well,I will have to wait for that 2011 or 2014 pc...But,when I get it,MD-11 goes in ,that's for sure. :D
The worst floods in the Balkans ever,follow these links to learn more how to help. Thank you.
http://www.google.org/crisisresponse/2014-balkans-floods

http://www.mvp.gov.ba/HTML/eng-help.pdf
ja sam niko
Retired

Callsign: ex FGRS,now UAV001
Version: 2.8

Postby Colin Howell » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:42 am

jormapaappa1235 wrote in Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:20 pm:I am trying to optimize this plane to run playable on ~9600gt and well on 2011-> computers. If I made cockpits to run on very low-end comps, there would be no evolve at all. Every single cockpit would look as good as the "normal" 777's one :( I hope you understand.

You really should think about offering a low-detail version as well, so that people with machines that have low-end graphics at least have the option of using a version with an acceptable frame rate.

Some of us are more interested in how the simulated aircraft fly than on how they look. The machine I'm using is a 2011 MacBook Air. It only has an Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated GPU, with no way to improve it. Many machines like that are out there, and while I understand why the FlightGear developers prefer to focus on taking advantage of the capabilities of high-end GPUs, they should also try to keep the more limited machines in mind.

(Yes, I know there is a standard response to avoid Intel graphics when running FlightGear, but I think this is too broad a restriction. Although it's true that earlier Intel GPUs have been extremely crippled and that Intel has had issues with its OpenGL support, I understand that this is less of a problem with newer hardware, like the HD Graphics 3000 series and later. Furthermore, since these newer GPUs are integrated into Intel's CPUs, they will inevitably be present in huge numbers of systems. In addition, I know some Linux users stick with Intel because its support for open-sourcing its graphics drivers is stronger than anyone else's. It seems to me that a free software project like FlightGear shouldn't discourage such potential advocates.)
Colin Howell

Postby jormapaappa1235 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Yeah, it would be nice to have also a light model, but it would mean a huge work to re-do so many objects. I have to admit, I do have a high-end computer and it is one reason why I don't have very much motivation to make light models. BUT, I'll try to make them run on average computer. For very low-end comps there is always the old MD11. :)
Of course I won't forbid anyone else to lighten these models but I'm a bit too lazy to do the same work twice. :(
jormapaappa1235

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Regarding those Intel/GMA comments, I fully agree - the thing is however, there's only so much that content (=aircraft/scenery) developers can do about this, i.e. by using low-poly/lower-resolution models and textures. But generally, the real issue is C++/GLSL level code that's making assumptions about certain featues. We're currently burning lots of "horsepower" without being aware of it - nobody however is consciously doing so because we're all on nvidia/ATI hardware - the main problem is that FG was never designed to track where CPU/GPU/RAM/VRAM resources are spent, and increasingly, this is now causing issues in various areas.

On the other hand, there are some obvious content issues, such as highly complex textures and 3D models like the 777-200ER or the 747-400/787 - those are having a massive impact mostly due to the way things are modeled and structured, even when all other rendering (terrain/scenery) is completely disabled. But we cannot really expect content developers to be aware of such problems unless we provide them with tools to tell what's going on behind the scenes.

And then there are also some new subsystems, such as for example Canvas, that are basically required these days, but that do have certain requirements, e.g. FBO support, without any fallback mechanisms being in place to handle RTT differently.

But if your hardware is not able to provide more than ~300 fps using the "minimal startup profile" detailed in the wiki, content development is clearly not the bottleneck. And that won't change, no matter how much time scenery/aircraft developers are going to spend on optimizing their work.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby John Taillor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:54 pm

As requested, a Lufthansa Cargo Pack. :D

Includes :
-D-ALCQ

-D-ALCL
(The (very) little difference is the "WOW member" logo in the back)

-D-ALCE

These 3 aircrafts in a pack : https://mega.co.nz/#!tYYASA5S!HTCfE7MWD ... J4JHg3PNLc

PS: Please note the Aer Lingus edit... I'm confused : I forgot to render the shader calc... :roll:
Last edited by John Taillor on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN MY VIRTUAL AIRLINE :
swanair.tk

My liveries
Mega user : mega.co.nz
Thanks to toile-libre.org for image hosting.
John Taillor

Callsign: jota
Version: FG 3.0

Postby EDDM08R » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:19 pm

D-ALCQ crashed on 27th of July 2010 after an hard landing in Riyadh, the pilots left the aircraft without serious injuries, the airframe burnt down and was written off.

The MD-11 is not easy to fly, this accident was an result of an highspeed landing.

GEC left WOW, because this alliance was not so successfull like the Star Alliance.

The last produced three-engined widebody, a MD-11F, is flying for Lufthansa Cargo, D-ALCN.
MAS - Munich Aviation Spotter
Visit and Like - Thanks :)
EDDM08R

Callsign: PLAGIAT
Version: 2016.1

Postby J Maverick 16 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi everyone,
I've downloaded the latest update of the MD-11, but I still cannot see the airplane! :(
What's the problem?
Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby jormapaappa1235 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:17 pm

I hope you can tell me some details. What you said is like saying "My car doesn't work, what is the problem?"

I _guess_ you haven't renamed your folder from "md-11-master" to "MD-11" or your hardware can't run this plane etc.
jormapaappa1235

Postby tikibar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:14 am

The fuel system is up and running. For the moment, it only works in auto-managed mode, and that automatically starts when there's power from the APU or from a running engine. It's also part of the autostart. I still have to make a fuel dumping function and rig up the overhead panel. But the system is working now. All the pumps, valves, and auto manager can be started and stopped in the property-tree. They just don't have any buttons associated yet.
Boeing 747-8 (rename folder to 747-8i)
Boeing 757-200/300 (rename folder to 757-200)
Boeing 767-300/ER (rename folder to 767-300)
tikibar

Callsign: CHT0009

Postby John Taillor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 am

Already a long time I made it, sorry, I forgot to post it.

So, JAL :

Old J-Bird :

PACKAGE : https://mega.co.nz/#!oRxnBYrL!6_aLrfgFr ... 3EuAiymSPQ

Cheers
JOIN MY VIRTUAL AIRLINE :
swanair.tk

My liveries
Mega user : mega.co.nz
Thanks to toile-libre.org for image hosting.
John Taillor

Callsign: jota
Version: FG 3.0

Postby jormapaappa1235 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Howdy people!

Here's a "small" update for ya:

- A completely new autopilot made by tikibar. For me it works great
- There might be quite many non-rembrandt users on FG forum. Foggy textures and dark cockpit are finally fixed.
- Major cockpit model changes
- About 20,000 triangles less than before
- Some smaller things

Download from Github
jormapaappa1235

Postby ja sam niko » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Really nice looking. But ,some things are weird about this aircraft.

The take off speed,with not much fuel,and default pax/cargo weight,was around 120 kts.... Landing speed,almost the same....

As much as I know about the real MD-11,that was not possible. That plane needed quite a lot of rw to take off.

Even more strange is this error.
After programing the route ,using the Route Manager ,the autopilot failed completely. I was completely unable to switch it on. The lights under each button were on but nothing was working. Without the route manager,the AP works,there are some small bugs even then,but it works.

It would be a good thing to do ,to write down ,how to properly use the MD-11s AP,cause maybe I was wrong at something,but without the exact guidelines how to set it and use it....I will use it the wrong way ,every time.

Keep up good work.

Cheers
The worst floods in the Balkans ever,follow these links to learn more how to help. Thank you.

ja sam niko
Retired

Postby tikibar » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:43 pm

David, did you have any console errors related to the AP? That would really help in pinning down a problem, if there is one. Are you still running FG 2.8?
Boeing 747-8 (rename folder to 747-8i)
Boeing 757-200/300 (rename folder to 757-200)
Boeing 767-300/ER (rename folder to 767-300)
tikibar

Callsign: CHT0009

Postby ja sam niko » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:53 pm

I will run this aircraft again and just copy paste all of the errors,after enabling the RM...

That T/O speed is till the most weird thing.. I guess that have something to do with it's FDM..

Yes I do use the FG 2.8 . The FPS ,was up to 17 inside and less then 10 outside ,which regarding my PC configuration ,is more than good.

The aircraft needs some little work on the AP and FDM. Of course,improvements of FPS are always welcome,as much as possible. :D

Cheers

ja sam niko
Retired

Postby jormapaappa1235 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Change the line <approach speed="135" to <approach speed="150" from MD-11/MD-11.xml and it might be a bit more realistic.
To autopilot problem I can't give any exact help since I understand very close to nothing about how it works. I remember I tried the route manager once and it did lock the autopilot... Thought that I don't know how to use it and never used it ever since. :b
jormapaappa1235

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft