Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Introducing the update of the Cessna 337 Skymaster

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Introducing the update of the Cessna 337 Skymaster

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Hello All

I had been able to make it work now with the following modification to the launcher

Code: Select all
 --prop:/sim/rendering/texture-compression=off

Respect to the generic Intel Cards, I agree with El Flauta how painfully useless flightgear trend to be there. But I have got no other option currently :(
Frequently my frame-rates can drop below 20.

After enjoying the Skymaster on USA tour, I found it to be a true hidden gem on Flightgear. Stunning liveries and 3D-Modelling. Great FDM.
I only found something that annoyed me, just a little, and it's the fact that AP doesn't have an altitude hold control, but just pitch. I can see that has been deliberately made in order to adjust to more real instrumentation available on the craft, but it makes the concentration to be too much focused on the altimeter, at all times.

Thanks for the great work,

IAHM-COL
Air H5 Events Director
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby El Flauta » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks for your words and your sugestion for the problem, IAHM-COL :)

IAHM-COL wrote in Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 pm:I only found something that annoyed me, just a little, and it's the fact that AP doesn't have an altitude hold control, but just pitch. I can see that has been deliberately made in order to adjust to more real instrumentation available on the craft, but it makes the concentration to be too much focused on the altimeter, at all times.

Well.. we need to work more in the aircraft (but in this moment i have no much time even to see the forums!) and we still needed to tune the AP more, but the main functions are the same of the original Navomatic 400... you can find a similar AP in the Seneca.
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby mike4 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi
The cockpit is broken in 2.99git?
Swiss (non GPL) airports:
http://fgfs.sgier.com/
mike4

Version: GIT

Postby sa7k » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:10 pm

No.
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby e-pilot » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:07 am

I love your 337 and fly it often - thank you for this well done work!
e-pilot

Postby sanhozay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:52 am

I recently discovered the Cessna 337 and what a great piece of work! Superbly detailed model and cockpit.

I liked it so much, I did some work to move that Navomatic 400A autopilot toward completion. There is a new autopilot, which is specifically tuned for the aircraft based on the Navomatic manuals, rather than using the default autopilot. The panel in the cockpit works as I believe it should, and there is a new dialog that matches the layout of the 3D panel.

Navomatic 400A 3D Panel

Navomatic 400A Dialog

The changes have now been merged into Git, so if you like flying the Cessna 337, give it a spin. I need to do some more work on integrating some documentation but for now, there is a guide in Models/Instruments/Navomatic/NAVOMATIC-400A-README. Do read it, because the controls are different from other autopilots. It's a simple panel but a good design and works well in practice.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby HJ1AN » Sat May 10, 2014 5:00 pm

I finally got to try out the 337. Wow, was blown away. Wish I tried it out sooner. Like others mentioned the cockpit and model is superb.

Tried it out taking off from and accidentally did a barrel roll flying out of KNUQ because I did the wing leveller. I hope nobody saw that :oops:

My new favorite small plane.
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby sanhozay » Sat May 10, 2014 6:02 pm

The guys did a really great job on it. 8)

If you get the very latest from Git, it has a working transponder, all the modes working in the DME receiver, a Hobbs meter and a few minor bug fixes.

EDIT: The documentation for the autopilot is also now on the Wiki:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Cessna_337G_ ... matic_400A
sanhozay

Postby HJ1AN » Sun May 11, 2014 4:21 am

I forgot where I downloaded it from. Speaking of Git, some links I went to simply don't have the "Download" button. So I'm never sure whether I'm getting the correct ones.. as a result, sometimes I download from the repository, sometimes from Git, so it's all mixed up in my head

As for the 337, hilarious thing about it is that it sometimes smacks into the edge of the world (when terrasync not loaded fast enough) and sending the emergency locator signals to everyone.

Also, I how do you turn on the radio stack. No amount of clicking any buttons I was able to turn them on.

Aside from the "Wing Barrel Roller" function, I find the AP just nice. Simple enough, yet effective. To hold altitude just pitch 0.
HJ1AN

Postby sanhozay » Sun May 11, 2014 9:11 am

As for the 337, hilarious thing about it is that it sometimes smacks into the edge of the world (when terrasync not loaded fast enough) and sending the emergency locator signals to everyone.

This sounds like the bug in JSBSim that was fixed in the last couple of weeks. You would need to build flightgear and simgear from source to get that fix, or wait for 3.2.

Also, I how do you turn on the radio stack. No amount of clicking any buttons I was able to turn them on.

The master avionics switch is a small white rocker switch near the parking brake on the left door panel. Look left of the left rudder pedal.

Aside from the "Wing Barrel Roller" function, I find the AP just nice. Simple enough, yet effective. To hold altitude just pitch 0.

I suspect you are using the "old" generic autopilot via shortcut keys (Ctrl-w). The one in Git is tuned for the aircraft and much smoother. If you are comfortable with Git, you can clone the fgdata repository to get it, otherwise wait for 3.2.
sanhozay

Postby Nando88 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Hello, I have to report that both Pavel Cueto as i we are not 'missing' we continue with the projects that we have initiated, this delay to appear by the forum is due to professional reasons, both to Pavel as to me, It is increasingly difficult to obtain the time that flightgear it deserves and that is why we have our aircraft something unattended, but, we have never abandoned any of our projects, I am available to complete the automatic pilot of the Cessna 337G when I discover that it's done by sanhozay, I have not yet been able to test the Cessna with the new auto-pilot because I can't download it from the GIT.
Sorry for my english, i translate with Google, the problem of the language is one of the main reasons why you didn't write almost never in the forum
Nando88

Callsign: EC-FEJ
Version: 3.0

Postby janrippl » Sat May 17, 2014 12:04 am

Hello, I like Cesna 337 and I have a question about development: It will have in future cabin light?
From 2014/19/04 I flying under VA Pan Am (http://www.panamvirtual.org/) My olds Callsings its OK-AS, CEF4200, V4A2184 and FAC2184... My Favorite aircraft in FlightGear and real life is Boeing 707 (in FG B707 version by Marc Kraus).
janrippl

Location: Mokriny 188, As 352 01, Karlovy Vary, Czech republic
Callsign: PAA006
Version: 3.0.1

Postby sanhozay » Sat May 17, 2014 5:38 am

A dome light is certainly something I would like to have to help with starting in the dark. I looked into it but I think the model needs to be split into internal/external and some textures added to some of the cockpit elements so that the cockpit can be lit. I found a photograph of a dome light from C337 that is sufficient to model the light itself but I couldn't find a photograph of one installed.

There is also a panel switch dimmer to be implemented that would light up the switches. That's the dimmer just to the right of the instrument light dimmer.
sanhozay

Postby HJ1AN » Fri May 23, 2014 8:16 am

Nando88 wrote in Fri May 16, 2014 9:35 pm:Hello, I have to report that both Pavel Cueto as i we are not 'missing' we continue with the projects that we have initiated, this delay to appear by the forum is due to professional reasons, both to Pavel as to me, It is increasingly difficult to obtain the time that flightgear it deserves and that is why we have our aircraft something unattended, but, we have never abandoned any of our projects, I am available to complete the automatic pilot of the Cessna 337G when I discover that it's done by sanhozay, I have not yet been able to test the Cessna with the new auto-pilot because I can't download it from the GIT.

Hi Nando, just want to say, nice plane. I enjoyed how it flies, no much complaints about... Excellent work
HJ1AN

Postby Nando88 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 am

Thank you very much HJ1AN, I have to say that, in spite of having very little time, El Flauta and I, we recapture our projects with the big help of sanhozay
Nando88

Callsign: EC-FEJ
Version: 3.0

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft