Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Festival of Flightgear Minigames-FSWeekend 2014

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Festival of Flightgear Minigames-FSWeekend 2014

Postby METAL » Mon May 12, 2014 2:34 am

The Festival of Flightgear--November 1st and 2nd, 2014

Hello pilots! This coming November, the Flightgear community will host a fly-in on the Iberian Peninsula. As part of the two-day extravaganza, pilots are welcome to organize their own mini game to take place during the larger event. Event planners are asked to be mindful of other people and try not to schedule activities that overlap. Also, try to keep the time frame of your mini games to around 2 hours maximum.

Here are the details of the main event so far:

Date: FSWeekend 2014 (November 1st and 2nd)
Time: All weekend Sat 00:00-Sun 23:59 UTC
Event Capital City: Madrid, Spain
Communication Method: Mumble for voice, MP chat box for text

The mini games can take place at any time during the 48-hour period, the first to schedule get the best time slots! :D So for instance, your event could go something like:

Event: Aerobatics show at Madrid Intl.
Time: Sat 00:00-02:00
Details: Open to anyone, no registration required, aerobatic-capable aircraft recommended

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!
Last edited by METAL on Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.
METAL

Callsign: METAL
Version: 3.4.0

Re: Festival of Flightgear Minigames-FSWeekend 2014

Postby Gijs » Mon May 12, 2014 12:13 pm

It'll be 1 and 2 November this year ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Cool! We have inside information :)
Thanks GIJS
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby ludomotico » Mon May 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Cool. I was planning to update the terminal buildings at Madrid (LEMD) in terrasync. I took some photos of the international terminals but they are still in my camera. I hope the updated models will be ready before the event!

The skyscraper area about 2 miles west of the airport seems like a good place for some aerobatics tricks. The "Santiago Bernabeu" and "Vicente Calderón" stadiums (Real Madrid and Atlético's stadiums) are not far away, ready to receive the most skilled pilots of STOL aircrafts :)
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon May 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Okay, so who will fly in from Northern America the night before. Lets form a flock! For South-America, I could imagine, IAHM-COL would be the crystallization point?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 12, 2014 5:45 pm

Jabberwocky wrote in Mon May 12, 2014 5:35 pm:Okay, so who will fly in from Northern America the night before

I have not quite decided my time, but I am assuming I will fly SAT afternoon,
I am thinking (atm) to do something like SAT 11/01/2014 1500 Z:SKRG -> SUN 11/02/2014 0100Z LEMD

In such situation, I will not be flying a "night" before.
Other thing, my Graphic card is really a shame for now.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Lydiot » Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Jabberwocky wrote in Mon May 12, 2014 5:35 pm:Okay, so who will fly in from Northern America the night before. Lets form a flock! For South-America, I could imagine, IAHM-COL would be the crystallization point?

I'll try to do both ATC and flying, so once I know when I can ATC I'll fly into that airport from the US I guess. Unless I don't have time. But ideal would be to fly into LEBL for example, and arrive about an hour or two before my shift starts. Or alternatively I could start my flight to end shortly after my ATC ends.
Lydiot

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm going to be there both FlightGear and OpenRadar,
I already have to decide in which airport offer ATC services but however count on my presence, at any time is it. :D
Cheers, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby BIZX » Mon May 12, 2014 7:55 pm

If we're going to have so many ATCs around, we'll need a system to avoid conflicting zones of influences, etc. With that in mind, here is a map I made which we can use to track which airports will be controlled and who will be controlling them. (There is a link in the description to request editing access.)
It's been way too long, but I'm back...and plan to stay that way. I hope.
BIZX

Callsign: BIZX

Postby Rick Ace » Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 pm

While I think it's great that you have a map, I realize that METAL isn't acting as the central authority. But he could at least assign people to do certain things. For example, BIZX could be in charge of coordinating the ATCs for the event.

A big problem will be if there are 3 different flight plan servers, 2 different ATC zone maps, and even worse, several ATCs at one airport for the same function.
Last edited by Rick Ace on Mon May 12, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Postby BIZX » Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Rick Ace wrote in Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 pm:A big problem will be if there are 3 different flight plan servers, 2 different ATC zone maps, and even worse, several ATCs at one airport for the same function.

Just to address any potential concerns related to this - my map is supposed to supplement Lenny's website, so that pilots (and ATCs) can get a visual idea of where there will be controllers. It's not meant to supplant the site in any way.
It's been way too long, but I'm back...and plan to stay that way. I hope.
BIZX

Callsign: BIZX

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue May 13, 2014 5:14 pm

So we need a gathering point for the North American flock or want to meet in the air (say individual flightplans till KJFK for example)?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Lydiot » Tue May 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Jabberwocky wrote in Tue May 13, 2014 5:14 pm:So we need a gathering point for the North American flock or want to meet in the air (say individual flightplans till KJFK for example)?

Time will probably have to be the deciding factor. If people want to show up at the same time in Spain then set that time first and work backwards. If a meetup is in KJFK then that'll be at LEBL arrival time minus flight duration from JFK. And if someone wants to start at KLAX for example then that person would just have to see when that flight would have to start. It could be at an inconvenient time of day.
Lydiot

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue May 13, 2014 5:25 pm

That is why I said night flight. I remember from real life taking off 5pm in Atlanta leads to about ):30-10:00am in Stuttgart (all local times). I have to do the math for other airports, but it would be in that frame. The other option is to start very early in the US, that brings us late at night to Spain. Which would be kind of inconvennient too. So at the moment, I tend to take off at civilized times, land after breakfast and, since it's a flock, having only in one or two planes at a time someone on watch to shush curious birds away. It's anyway some kind of high and fast thing since you can't fly a Cessna transatlantic. So it's jets and that means about 300 KIAS and FL280 to FL380. Not much cross traffic there.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby ludomotico » Tue May 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Regarding the map, please, take into account you set the mark on Madrid-Cuatro Vientos (LECV), a small airport for general aviation. The large international airport and the one I assume it is going to be controlled is Madrid-Barajas (LEMD), at the north-east of the city :)

If you are interested in fun alternate airports to control, please consider these airports already available from terrasync:

- LESO-San Sebastian. The approach to RWY 22 involves the French and Spanish airspaces, and it is a beautiful airport. Just on the West side of the French-Spanish border.
- LXGB-Gibraltar. A classical interesting airport with a fun approach.
- LEBL-Barcelona just because it is near Barcelona. There is no challenge in landing on this airport, through. You already identified the airport.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Next

Return to Multiplayer events