Board index FlightGear Development New features

Married pilots co-piloting

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Married pilots co-piloting

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun May 11, 2014 2:18 am

Hi,

is there any concept or idea for a "localized co-piloting" in discussion. What I mean is, if a couple is in one network together, to put them in the same plane and send the whole shebang to the MP network as one? This would unburden the MP network and at the same time allow to fly with two.
Background: My wife is quite supportive and would have more fun with that than only produce inflight-snacks. :D

J.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Re: Married pilots co-piloting

Postby HJ1AN » Sun May 11, 2014 4:36 am

Don't some planes have multiplayer co-piloting? I think the 757, F14, glider has it. Though I never tried that.
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun May 11, 2014 4:49 pm

The current MP-co-piloting is slow (network) and has in most planes bib problems. For example when I fle as co with KL-666 in a 747-8i, I couldn't see instruments or look out of the windows (the HUD told me anyway what I wanted to see, so it was good for me anyway, but's that's not the purpose).
The idea is, and maybe it's a stupid idea, but if I can get for example two local computers on one plane (pilot and co-pilot) and get all this data together on the level of my local network, it would be for the MP-network not more of a burden than ONE plane with ONE player while the coordination in the local network would be clearly faster and thus enable a real co-piloting. But as I say, it's maybe a stupid idea running into thousand technical problems. I don't know till some person with more knowledge would jump in and tell me.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Hooray » Sun May 11, 2014 7:51 pm

The current MP-co-piloting is slow (network) and has in most planes bib problems. For example when I fle as co with KL-666 in a 747-8i, I couldn't see instruments or look out of the windows (the HUD told me anyway what I wanted to see, so it was good for me anyway, but's that's not the purpose).

the existing MP system was never designed with such requirements in mind, the dual pilot add-on was developed by AndersG on top of the existing system (and all its limitations), and it is using generic properties and chat to extend things beyond the original design concepts. Thus, you could also extend things even more - but there's no explicit support for stuff like this, and we're all hesitating to touch the MP code due to the HLA efforts.

The idea is, and maybe it's a stupid idea, but if I can get for example two local computers on one plane (pilot and co-pilot) and get all this data together on the level of my local network, it would be for the MP-network not more of a burden than ONE plane with ONE player while the coordination in the local network would be clearly faster and thus enable a real co-piloting.

this could be done by making creative use of existing features - for example by having your own fgms MP server in your LAN, and setting it up as a relay.

But as I say, it's maybe a stupid idea running into thousand technical problems.

Well, two FG instances can also be hooked up without fgms - so the dual pilot addon could probably be modified to work with such a setup.
Basically, it requires creative use of existing features, like for example master/slave setups - you could set up two instances to use the dual-pilot add-on, and then set up a slave instance that is driven by it, where only the slave instance would have an actual connection to the MP network. The two instances/computers running the pilot/copilot stuff would be "offline" and just mirrored by the slave instance.

It's not impossible with some tinkering, but it was never designed to work like that, so requires willingness to experiment a little and read our docs, interpret them in novel ways - and ideally, document the whole process for people doing something similar. :D

Without ever having done anything like this, I don't think that it will work "out-of-the-box", i.e. it will almost certainly require tinkering with 1) XML, 2) properties, 3) Nasal and 4) various network settings (dual pilot, master/slave setups and MP)

https://www.draw.io/#LJabberwocky
Last edited by Hooray on Sun May 11, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Michat » Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 pm

I don't know if there is a way to Married Callsigns. As far as I know there are several users who have a local network and they are shown like several session clones (another thing).

However, (here comes the action) :mrgreen:

If you want to make solid rock in-flight mp action with your wife in a funny way..... Here is the key http://www.marc-kraus.de

Try DOX Model which is wonderful for:

1. Pilot/Copilot-Navigator-Radio Operator.

2. Training visual orientation.

3. Training couple coordination.

4. Put under test your communication and navigation skills.

To be missing over the sea will depends of the team-couple coordination. (Recommended area Princess Juliana TNCM).

Without any doubt I recommended bravely that model because, is fun, not easy, it combines old style navigation radio range, it helps to better understanding between couples, it requires patience, to be alert and recalculate, so is mind active.

I use that to test my FG'ers friends-pilots capabilities such Technical skills as the pilot's psychology.

Is awesome how this flying boat can really immerse the users to several situations, even panic. Incredible aircraft that extract the best of us, vivid example of the FG philosophy. Try it and you'll experiment a lot of experiences.

Guaranteed laughs. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: by The Lake of Constance Hangar at Friedrichshafen by deltamikekilofoxtrotone.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby AndersG » Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Hooray wrote:Well, two FG instances can also be hooked up without fgms - so the dual pilot addon could probably be modified to work with such a setup.

That is supported out of the box and, in fact, is what I use(d) when developing DualControl and other MP aware things as well.
I usually run two FG instances on the same box but using separate machines is also possible (FG can even use the broadcast address of the local network to connect many machines to each other).

For two instances on the same box I start one with the multiplay arguments:
Code: Select all
--multiplay=out,10,127.0.0.1,5502 --multiplay=in,10,127.0.0.1,5501

and the other with the multiplay arguments
Code: Select all
--multiplay=out,10,127.0.0.1,5501 --multiplay=in,10,127.0.0.1,5502

Note how the in/out ports mesh together. Use the same port when using separate boxes (and/or the LAN broadcast address for out).

It is also wise to disable terrasync and autosave on exit to avoid problems when running several FG instances on the same box.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Hooray » Sun May 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Okay, thanks for clarifying - I just wasn't sure about it, so didn't want to guess. But it seems it's now up to Mr. & Mrs. Jabberwocky to do some experiments and document the whole experience, feel free to edit/extend the diagram, so that we can use it for the wiki docs: https://www.draw.io/#LJabberwocky
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon May 12, 2014 1:22 am

First, I have a lot of reading to do. But well, it could be worth it. Seems to be the right direction. Thanks for all the info, I have to digest that first.

J.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby HJ1AN » Fri May 30, 2014 4:13 am

Best and simplest way I can think of, just get a graphic card that could support 2 monitors, and two keyboards, two comfy chairs.
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Is this working?
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby Hooray » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 pm

you might want to be more specific with your question - in case you're referring to the posting prior to yours, yeah - you can indeed run multiple instances of FG on the same computer, and FG can work across several screens. I am not sure how well multiple I/O peripherals can be individually addressed though. But as has been shown in earlier postings, there are several options to implement a corresponding setup.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Thank's. My question was and is if this option is working in the a320neo for example.
I founded an option to choose the mp copilot, when I click there appear a a window that tells "pilots online" but it isn's showing any pilot...
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Return to New features