Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

New Boeing 777 Seattle download site (git)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: New Boeing 777 Seattle download site (git)

Postby I-NEMO » Tue May 06, 2014 3:21 pm

Hallo jormapaappa1235,

thanks for your comment.

I had already done that 'Decimate' test, and my personal conclusion was that the outcome was not influencing actual FR increase that much.

Please check the two images (sorry about the size; I'm new to dropbox; next time I will insert smaller pictures):

These screenshots were taken on the same LATEST 777 Seattle model, in the same, identical, conditions: in the second one, I applied the Decimate Tool to ALL the indicated objects, by reducing the number of faces by a rate of 60% (just as a test). Those 7 objects - on that particular view - would of course be responsible for the high faces count.
Result: from a 58 FR, we go to 59; that is, a FR increase of 1,01 %.
That's why I deemed 'Decimate' not the most appropriate tool. At least, it was not what I was looking for...
By optimizing the Seattle model as I have previously reported, I got a factor of 20-25% increase...

The 'performance problems' seem to have been somehow resolved by the latest optimization. As you may see, my actual FR is 58, on that particular view. Actually the Seattle Team is receiving confirmations that the aircraft flies nicely, now (being, nevertheless, an obviously 'heavy' model).
As I said, there are other resources which must be taken into account once you fly with FG 3.0 (as the new scenery, just for instance), AND heavy models: in the near coming future, we all will need more performing platforms.

Once I will be finished with further Cockpit development (New EFB in a while; then, the CDU), though, I will probably try to 'polish' things up a bit, giving another try to the 'Decimate' tool...Our planned First Release, will be more complex (that is, 'heavier') and more optimized (that is, 'lighter')...we'll see.
It's a matter of dealing with compromises: as we say, you can't get all you want...

Thanks for your notes,

I-NEMO

BTW: a modern aircraft's Cockpit is much, much, much more complex than a car's one...
Last edited by I-NEMO on Tue May 06, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I-NEMO

Callsign: I-NEMO
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby jormapaappa1235 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Ok then, you must know this better than I do. Btw, here's one model fix suggestion:

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images ... 183895.jpg
jormapaappa1235

Postby I-NEMO » Tue May 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Hallo Jormapaappa1235,

I will certainly return on that 'Decimate' issue, but not before I finish my current job-list.
Regarding the Image: do you mean the actual NDs screens?...or the Glareshield's position?
This last one is certainly wrong in the current 777 model, since the beginning of the 777...

Regards,

I-NEMO
I-NEMO

Postby jormapaappa1235 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Oh no, no, I didn't want to sound rude. I really think that you know this issue better than me so I didn't have anything more to say :)

Yes, I meant the glareshield's position like I marked it in the image.
jormapaappa1235

Postby I-NEMO » Tue May 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Jormapaappa1235,

I noticed that, since the beginning; I will do that; it requires quite an heavy task, because I have to reposition some above panels too. It's in my job list.
Actually, the original 777 Cockpit model had wrong dimensions, by simply looking at real photos.
Unfortunately, I was not able to locate a detailed (and reliable!) Cockpit's blueprint; otherwise, I would have modeled the Cockpit accordingly...Should you find one, please send it to me, I would appreciate it.
Anyway, that glareshield position will be corrected (and the glareshield too, will be remodeled)

Thanks for your notes, jormapaappa1235!

Regards,
I-NEMO
Last edited by I-NEMO on Tue May 06, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I-NEMO

Postby CaptB » Tue May 06, 2014 4:30 pm

In my opinion, there is no need for complex 3D knobs OVHD CB, they should be textured instead, maybe a bump map?
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby I-NEMO » Tue May 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Hallo CaptB,

In my opinion, the bump effect does not give the 'carving' effect of the real knob; anyway, I will try to make a simpler knob (which is used in various instances in the Cockpit).

Regards,

I-NEMO
I-NEMO

Postby CaptB » Tue May 06, 2014 11:19 pm

I've looked more closely at the flight deck objects. Some additional suspects adding to the total weight of the mesh are the multiple complex screws with between +500 and +700 faces for each screw . Is it a priority to have those screws that complex? Maybe it would be easier to get away with a bit more complexity elsewhere if some of those screws were simplified?
CaptB

Postby Johan G » Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 pm

For all those mentioning the complexity of the 3D cockpit model I would really recommend reading this post on the first page of the topic.

To sum it up: Optimisation is the very last step in I-NEMO's work flow in regard to the model. He will get there when he get there. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby I-NEMO » Wed May 07, 2014 12:39 am

Hallo JohanG,

thanks for your gentle post!...

Yes, now being quite busy with more modeling (3D and nasal) at the moment (and for the near future), I will certainly try to 'clean up' the 3D model (optimization) once we will feel that the major tasks on our 3 (we're three!) job lists would almost - finally - been achieved.
This does NOT mean we are not taking due notes of all the various suggestions, notes, remarks, requests and so forth coming through the Forum: a Pre-Release version is 'on-air' precisely for this reason.
The three of us do need support, advice, suggestions, and...patience by the FG Pilots!
Developing an aircraft - a tiny or huge task as it may be - requires a lot, a lot, of time; and efforts.
An example: I'm currently developing a new EFB for the 777 Seattle; even if I'm inspiring to Omega95's job made for the 787 Dreamliner (which, BTW, I'm not able to load onto FG 3.0!...a mystery!), I'm working on it since more than a month (everyday, several hours), the task is a long one. I do hope to be able to have a "rude" version of the new EFB (with some simplifications and enhancements, looking to Boeing's 777 EFB Manuals) to submit to my partners in about ten days (I'm totally a newbie on nasal! [Ouch! :oops: ]...but I'm trying to learn).
Then, we will go through our internal testing and improvement.
Then, again, the new EFB will be released 'as-is', so the FG Pilots might play with it and report back to us what's wrong, and what might be improved.

In time, our 777 Seattle will be more complete, with better visual aspect (it's my call), and with better performances.

So, to all of FG Pilots: do not feel ashamed or shy to ask: we will try our best efforts - still 'human' efforts, though - to comply with what is being reported and/or asked for.
BUT, with time...
My personal workflow method could possibly be reputed 'weird' by someone; but, that's how I'm able to work.
I hope you may understand my position on this.

Thanks again: looking forward for more reports, requests and suggestions.

Regards,

I- NEMO
I-NEMO

Postby CaptB » Wed May 07, 2014 8:41 am

By the way, my comments are well intended, they are not meant to bring anyone down :) I do appreciate all the work put into this project and I am thankful for it. Well done!
CaptB

Postby hello_nhox__2307 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi :)
Can you made new FMC and ground service like A330 ???
hello_nhox__2307

Callsign: BRT0187
Version: 2.10

Postby Rick Ace » Tue May 13, 2014 7:32 pm

hello_nhox__2307 wrote in Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 pm:Hi :)
Can you made new FMC and ground service like A330 ???

I-NEMO already has a lot of work for the 777. :P And it looks like he will work on the optimization first, since a lot of people have mentioned it. But it would be nice to see an FMC someday.
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Postby I-NEMO » Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi hello-nhox2307 and Rick Ace,

Yes, we're of course planning to work on the FMC; at the moment, though, we are working on the new EFB, which is coming out nicely, we presume.
We will soon start some internal testings, then we'll possibly include the new EFB in the next Pre-Release, so that FG Pilots might report us what's wrong and/or good about that, together with some other Cockpit's stuff.
After that, we could start to work on the FMC.
As mentioned previously, we all need time...but we will get a better 777 Seattle! (...and better optimized as well!)

Regarding the 777-X: we are on the 777 Seattle.
The 777-x would be entirely a new Project: ...never say never, though.

Regards,

I-NEMO
I-NEMO

Postby Pierre.Mueller » Wed May 14, 2014 9:13 pm

I-NEMO wrote in Tue May 06, 2014 4:14 pm:J
Unfortunately, I was not able to locate a detailed (and reliable!) Cockpit's blueprint; otherwise, I would have modeled the Cockpit accordingly...Should you find one, please send it to me, I would appreciate it.

Google has everything!
After some few seconds I found this: http://www.project777.com/

And this site: http://www.project777.com/?mid=2012 will lead you to the flightdeck measurements taken from a real 777.

Some little advice: Better to think first how to make the cockpit computer friendly as possible. Optimizing it in the end doesn't sound much very strategic to me.
There was once a tutorial here in the forum ( and or wiki), I think it was even sticky: So much vertices as needed, not more. (about just 4 vertices for a 90° round edge), and combine as much objects as possible - No need for 100+ objects, even if they are not animated in any way.
Pierre.Mueller

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft