Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

How to enable a TerraSync in FGrun 3.0.0?  Topic is solved

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

How to enable a TerraSync in FGrun 3.0.0?  

Postby brozma » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:32 am

Hello everyone, I have a problem, If i select checkbox "enable Terrasync" on the last page of FGrun, start the game and open the Windows task manager, I can't see TerraSync on Windows task manager screen like a background task, so i can decide the TerraSync didn't enable. Am I doing something wrong? Am I able to enable TerraSync in Windows 8? Please help me! :cry: I want to fly around the world and without TerraSync I can't fly anywhere! :roll: I tried to check FG wiki but this didn't help. :cry:

For "nosy parkers" and "amateurs" there's something that can help.

My operation system is Windows 8
The version of my FGrun is 3.0.0
The folder where TerraSync downloads data is C:\Program Files\Flight Gear\terrasync

Thank you in advance for your help.
Brozma
My home airport in FlightGear: LKPR
My favorite aircrafts: B737 and A320
brozma

Callsign: QS1997, OK-OMG
Version: 2020.3.19.

Re: How to enable a TerraSync in FGrun 3.0.0?

Postby dany93 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi, Brozma,

Did you add (or do you already have) the terrasync path in page 4 of FGRun?
Page 4, Advanced, General, TerraSync directory: C:\Program Files\Flight Gear\terrasync
In the command line, you will (you should, among other lines) have:
Code: Select all
--terrasync-dir=C:\Program Files\Flight Gear\terrasync

(Do you really have this blank space in Flight Gear?)

I presume this path is already in page 1, in FG_SCENERY. But it does not tell which one is for terrasync downloading (whatever the name).

If Terrasync is downloading, you will see something like "Automatic scenery downloading..." in the console.

Don't forget to "Refresh" the airport list in page 3.

I hope it can help.

Dany
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby brozma » Sun May 04, 2014 9:07 pm

Dany, I putted this correct adress to TerraSync directory, enabled TerraSync and in command line is writed: --Enable terrasync and --terrasync directory: C:\Program Files\Flight gear\terrasync, but i dindn't start :cry:. Look, don't force me to use a Windows command line (the same command line, like in MS DOS)! :evil: I don't know the commands and i don't want to screw this thing badly. :(

Brozma
brozma

Postby dany93 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:29 pm

Brozma,

I do not think you have to write DOS commands :) . At most, you will have to paste or enter the right path (address) into the right place(s) of FGRun.
These places are in page 1 (FG_SCENERY) and 4 (Advanced > TerraSync directory).
Obviously, this address must be in exact accordance with the one for your terrasync directory in your file explorer.
Carefully checking this may be enough to help you finding what is wrong.

At best, according to TERRASYNC Wiki (see EDIT at the bottom), Terrasync should work by default with the "TerraSync directory=" field empty.

I presume that FlightGear is working and you can fly at KSFO. Can you confirm ?

1) Do you have an error message in the console ?
If yes, paste it here (rather paste everything).

2) Can you explicitly find your Terrasync directory in your file and folder Windows Explorer and check the path ?
It should be approximately (?) the one you give : C:\Program Files\Flight Gear\terrasync.
But an uncertainty is that sometimes you write
Flight Gear\terrasync

sometimes, otherwise
Flight gear\terrasync

and more, I'm not sure there is a space in Flight Gear (Flight Gear or FlightGear ?). I would rather say :
C:\Program Files\FlightGear\terrasync
(unless you have changed some name at FG installation, that's the more usual I've seen with Windows and default installation)

I'd like you to find the terrasync directory in your file explorer, select it and copy this path in the upper line of your file explorer. Then paste it here.
When I say "copy", that is preferably by mouse select (click in the address bar), not manually typing letter by letter (to avoid mistakes).

3) Do you have the right Terrasync directory path in page 1 (FG_SCENERY) ?
In page 1, that's not for downloading, but for FG to read it as a scenery folder (among others) at launch.

4) The most important: paste your command line from FGrun here.
page 4, select all the lines, copy by Ctrl-C (right click does not work)
Then paste it here. This command line contains everything from page 1 to 4 of FGRun.

If you find part of this difficult, do at least only the item 4) to begin with. That's very easy and with a bit of luck, it may be enough to understand. At least, it should make some points clear.

If Terrasync works, you must see a message in the console : "Starting Automatic scenery download". It takes several minutes for a new scenery, depending on your Internet connection.

Dany

[EDIT] For the comprehension.
In TERRASYNC Wiki I read:
Enabling TerraSync
FlightGear 2.99, 3.0 and later

Currently in Git, and as of the upcoming FlightGear 3.0 release, TerraSync has changed significantly. By default, TerraSync now downloads to a folder in the $FG_HOME directory when enabled with --enable-terrasync or through the checkbox on the last page of FGRun. Optionally a TerraSync directory can be assigned with --terrasync-dir= or through the Advanced > General dialog of FGRun. TerraSync will then download to that directory. No other configuration is needed.

Under Windows, $FG_HOME is the (hidden) user folder C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org.
Which means that filling "TerraSync directory=" may be optional. I presume that, by default, FG creates a "terrasync" directory in the "flightgear.org" folder.
However, my personal experience with FG 3.0.0 RC2 has been that, with this "TerraSync directory=" field empty, nothing was downloaded in my terrasync directory. I didn't try more than once, maybe I've not checked the right one, thus I really don't know if it works. I let you do your tests if you wish, I just try to give you the tools to understand.
brozma wrote: If i select checkbox "enable Terrasync" on the last page of FGrun, start the game and open the Windows task manager, I can't see TerraSync on Windows task manager screen like a background task, so i can decide the TerraSync didn't enable

Even with Terrasync downloading, I do not see any task for Terrasync in my task manager either. Only fgrun and fgfs.

If everything works at best, FG creates a terrasync folder in C:\Users\(Your-name)\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\, and downloads into it. If it works by itself, it's more simple.
A test would be to launch FG with nothing in "TerraSync directory=", wait some minutes (checking the messages like "Downloading scenery" in the splash screen and the console), (hopefully if the terrain appears) wait in the simulator for the terrain decompression (2 - 3 mn more). Then, close, refresh the airports list, and launch again.
If it works, the terrasync directory should be in the flightgear.org folder. I would expect It doesn't have to be set in page 1 of FGRun, but that remains to be tested.

The option "TerraSync directory=" lets you have any folder name, in your preferred location, used for Terrasync downloading. More flexible. In this case, the path has obviously to be set in page 1 of FGRun.
[/EDIT]
Last edited by dany93 on Wed May 14, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 16 times in total.
dany93

Postby Philosopher » Mon May 05, 2014 12:59 am

TerraSync is now integrated (as of 3.0) and does not have a separate process. If you're able to see new scenery downloaded, then it's working. Also see the Scenery Download dialog to see how much it has downloaded.
Philosopher

Re: How to enable a TerraSync in FGrun 3.0.0? (solved)

Postby brozma » Tue May 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Oh dany you're the best. I'll try use AppData folder and I'll see
brozma

Postby dany93 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:17 am

Solved (green icon) ?
How ? What was the matter ? (can be useful for others)
dany93

Return to FGRun