Board index FlightGear Support

Total translation of the simulator in Italian

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Total translation of the simulator in Italian

Postby Jacopo Mii » Fri May 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Hello to all,
I am Jacopo Mii, the first Italian to have translated the official manual of the simulator.
I would be interested in translating the entire game (not just the menu bar)
If I do that then you make my Italian official version?

Sincerely
Jacopo Mii

Callsign: JacopoMii; KsfoATC
Version: 2.12.1

Re: Total translation of the simulator in Italian

Postby sa7k » Fri May 02, 2014 8:37 pm

As you correctly stated in the title FlightGear is a simulator and not a game.
At the moment the only thing that can be translated is the menu bar and only the main parts and some of the commonly added items of each airplane. Also, only translated to latin scripts. As the gui should be ported to canvas there will be in the future support for all UTF scripts.
At least that is what I have knowledge.
I helped to translate what is possible to spanish and it became the official version so I would say that whatever you contribute will be added too.
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby Philosopher » Fri May 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Yeah, currently the language details aren't even exposed to Nasal, but I have a half-working (one-third actually...) patch for that,

Translating "bodies" of text (paragraphs, longer descriptions, etc.) is going to be more work to adopt, and probably incompatible with the current system, so many things will have to be improved if we want to do this. Mostly likely things that are one tag now will have to be split up into multiple tags (per language) and translations provided. This, obviously, will only happen for the most popular items (or if the developer speaks that language ~cough~ Russian ;)).

P.S. I don't know how sophisticated OSGText is - if it can ultimately handle all the basics (all scripts and diacritics, right-to-left writing patterns, etc.) and the more nice features (open-font format, kerning, maybe ligatures ;)). (A little off-topic: One problem with Unicode is that there's two or three ways to encode a single character with a diacritic...)
Thanks,
Philosopher
(inactive but lurking occasionally...)
Philosopher

Callsign: AFTI
Version: Git

Postby Jacopo Mii » Sat May 03, 2014 5:34 am

But so it is possible translate the entire simulator in Italian or not?
Jacopo Mii

Callsign: JacopoMii; KsfoATC
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Hooray » Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 am

if you're refererring to things like the built-in help dialog, checklists and tutorials etc, those feature are currently not designed to support localization. And that also applies to GUI labels (buttons, text fields)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Gijs » Sat May 03, 2014 8:01 am

Well, you can translate everything to Italian, but then you'll loose all the English. Currently you can have only one language. So if you don't mind not being able to update when a new version comes out, and not being able to switch between English and Italian, you could make an Italian FlightGear. Could be fine if you're required to have an Italian version, but else it's a lot of work for very little gain.

The aforementioned problems do mean that you cannot share your work though. For that we would need some (complete) multilanguage support.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Sat May 03, 2014 8:14 am

Gijs wrote:The aforementioned problems do mean that you cannot share your work though. For that we would need some (complete) multilanguage support.

Our existing GUI is fairly simple, but it all goes through XML and the/a property tree, which is an advantage here.This was previously discussed on the issue tracker a while ago:

So with some work, anything that uses PropertyList/XML can still be localized by using "post-processing hooks", i.e. you first load the actual file (e.g. about.xml) and then load a localized version of the same file (with just the strings replaced) into the same props.Node/SGPropertyNode. Given James' work on Nasal-based fgcommands, we can trivially overwrite fgcommands like show-dialog with our own implementation (wrapping the original fgcommand, or using a custom show-localized-dialog) that basically:

• load a GUI dialog like about.xml
  • check if there is a matching XML file in $FG_ROOT/Translations/it/gui/dialogs/about.xml
  • if so, load it into the same tree, basically replacing those original English strings

Et voila, you'll end up with a very simple localization method without having to edit any C++ code

Alternatively, we could use the include/params construct to overwrite/replace default strings with stuff from $FG_ROOT/Translations

I don't even think that it requires much in terms of Nasal, it's probably under 100 lines of code to do it this way.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Support