Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

TerraSync - Some issues

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

TerraSync - Some issues

Postby Madbyte » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:54 am

Hi,

I'm having some issues when the scenery is downloaded using TerraSync option form FGRun.

1) Some artifacts in cities:

San Francisco KSFO

Salta SASA

2) Flat island with water:

ST Maarten Princess Juliana TNCM

If these scenery are manually downloaded from the flightgear.org are shown ok.

FlightGear: 3.0.0
System: Ubuntu 32 14.04 (I had the same issues in 13.10)
Ram: 6Gb.
Video: nVidia GTS250

FGRun:
Code: Select all
 --fg-root=/usr/share/games/flightgear
  --fg-scenery=/home/ramiro/.fgfs/TerraSync
  --terrasync-dir=/home/ramiro/.fgfs/TerraSync
  --fg-aircraft=/home/ramiro/FlightGear/Aircraft
  --airport=TNCM
  --aircraft=ufo
  --control=joystick
  --enable-random-objects
  --enable-horizon-effect
  --enable-distance-attenuation
  --disable-ai-models
  --disable-ai-traffic
  --enable-real-weather-fetch
  --enable-clouds3d
  --geometry=1024x768
  --bpp=32
  --texture-filtering=8
  --timeofday=afternoon
  --enable-terrasync
  --disable-fgcom
Madbyte

Re: TerraSync - Some issues

Postby surpii » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:12 pm

I can also report these issues. Especially the 2nd one, with terrain developing over the runway. Sometimes, the entire runway is taken over by terrain which means that the airport is unusable.
surpii

Postby ludomotico » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:36 pm

I don't know if the first issue is related to scenery (wrong normals) or shaders. In any case, it disappears if you do not use the urban shader. Rendering options->shaders move "Urban" to low detail. I can see these artifacts specially in big cities. For me, this is the main reason to not use the urban shader.

The second is a know issue of the scenery. There is nothing you can do to fix it, just wait for an update of the scenery.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:45 pm

There's a similar problem to the second at Tucson Airport (KTUS) where there's a runway cut half by the terrain... :|
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby surpii » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:46 am

I've dealt with this issue by deleting the terrasync scenery, and using the downloaded 2.0 scenery. I don't think there's any other alternative.
surpii

Postby Lydiot » Mon May 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Any news on TNCM?

I'm still getting water on the runway and (elsewehere it shouldn't be) and no mountains.
Lydiot

Postby Catalanoic » Mon May 11, 2015 3:36 pm

Lydiot wrote in Mon May 11, 2015 3:16 pm:Any news on TNCM?

I'm still getting water on the runway and (elsewehere it shouldn't be) and no mountains.

TNCM, NTTM, KTUS, etc.... no news or signs of improvement. Many people say that it will be fixed in the next Scenery update, but when? Something is being done? :roll:
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue May 12, 2015 7:50 am

TNCM is fixed in my scenery, availible at www.github.com/legoboyvdlp/ProjectFlightGearScenery which is simply a quick and dirty fix for the bug. Once I get back to my fg pc I will work on other buggy ones.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 12, 2015 6:18 pm

TNCM, NTTM, KTUS, etc.... no news or signs of improvement. Many people say that it will be fixed in the next Scenery update, but when?

Nobody in the scenery team is trying to fix single airports. People are trying to fix the toolchain so that it is less prone of producing these kinds of errors in the future. Trying to get a tollchain work all across the world isn't a trivial task, and in the big picture, a few flooded airports simply don't matter much.

If you need the Caribbean, the solution till this is done is simple - revert to 1.0 scenery for the time being.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 12, 2015 6:20 pm

I don't know if the first issue is related to scenery (wrong normals) or shaders. In any case, it disappears if you do not use the urban shader. Rendering options->shaders move "Urban" to low detail. I can see these artifacts specially in big cities. For me, this is the main reason to not use the urban shader.

The mesh is borked and doesn't forward the correct normals to the shaders. The fix is actually quite simple - assume that the normal points up (which it usually does for city terrain which is never very sloped). ALS doesn't have the problem with the urban shader :-)
Thorsten

Postby pommesschranke » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:58 pm

here you can download non-flooded terrain for some affected airports:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25516&p=255469&hilit=flooded#p255469
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Shane0ooo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi everyone,

Just joined here getting flightgear installed, and now just loving it from a few weeks ago. PCLinuxOS - Synaptic (Package manager) install of Flightgear V3.0. Well I was about to post a "Water on the runway" problem, and now I have found (or stumbled, after searching) this post - Well I hope this helps as a newbie.

I run fgfs (default install) and run the 'Tutorials' and I get water on the runway, making first attempts at take off weird as it bounces plane. lol Then I use fgrun and load Cessna C172P as per fgfs and then run the Help- Tutorials- Takeoff, say, and I don't have the water on runway problem.

I hope that helps you all in a small way. So how come one way does it and the wizard does not... mmmm Can I get fgfs to do the same??

Great program btw.
Shane0ooo

Return to Graphics