Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

question about modeling.

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

question about modeling.

Postby infestor1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:21 pm

I want to start modeling planes for FlightGear. What languages do i need to learn, what programs do i need? is it possible to model with a mac?
infestor1

Postby ajm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:10 am

You don't "need" to learn any languages to make models for FG, though nasal is very useful for doing more sophisticated bits and pieces. It's really very easy to use though, nothing to worry about there.

Software required is a 3d modelling package and a (good!) text editor, preferably one with syntax highlighting. Any one will do though.

As for the 3d modelling software... most people use either AC3D (very easy to use, low cost) or Blender (very powerful, open source). Most people use the ac3d (.ac) file format, no matter which modelling app they work with, and there are good reasons for doing the same.

For creating textures, pretty much any graphics software is OK, so long as you can convert to SGI's (.rgb) image format at the end. Most decent packages can do so, there are free plugins for photoshop and gimp can do it without add-ons.

Have a look on the wiki for more modelling help, or ask on the IRC channel for help with specific problems...

Cheers,

AJ
ajm

Return to Aircraft