Board index FlightGear Development New features

Mousewheel

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Mousewheel

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi,

not a big "feature", but windows like the MP-chat window or the route manager should be also controlled by mousewheel, it makes life so much easier. Try a long flight with >60 waypoints on a route and you get crazy positioning this tiny scrollbar.

J.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Re: Mousewheel

Postby Gijs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi,

that's a long standing (ie 2011) request https://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bu ... ail?id=482

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:09 pm

this should be possible meanwhile - IIRC, Canvas Event Listeners do have mousewheel support, and Tom recently also added scrollbar support.
So basically the issue should be renamed "port mp pilot list to canvas". Not sure what else may be missing widget-wise (buttons, checkboxes, list widget) ?
But I don't think the latest comment is very up to date, it probably predates the current canvas implementation.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi,

I see at least two windowns that can be controlled via scrollbar with clicks but not mousewheel:

1.) The MP chat-window
Which is a little annoying but not critical. More critical is, I can't taxi while having the chat window open because for unknown reasons, it catches the enter-key of the numeric keypad. So, I can taxi left (because it doesn't catch the 0, but not right). Which is actually more of a problem than the mousewheel-control.

2.) The route manager of the A/P
If you have a long route, one click on the scrollbar scrolls far more than one page (there are only a few visible lines). So, you have to drag the scrollbar very carefully to get anywhere in the middle of the list.

As I said before, no big issues, one can work around them, but well, if someone is by chance near to those parts of the soruce code, it would be nice.

J.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 pm

I think the two examples you mention are hardcoded PUI widgets, i.e. would be implemented in C++ and require rebuilding the FG binary.
However, anything Canvas/Nasal based is usually accessible to people just by using a conventional text editor.
As I said, a scrollbar is there already - and adding a simple list widget should not be too complicated.

if someone is by chance near to those parts of the soruce code, it would be nice.

it will eventually happen automatically, once we get rid of the existing GUI framework - but that may take another 2-3 release cycles still.
If you are looking for a more immediate solution and have some coding experience, we can provide all the pointers to get you started doing this yourself.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:59 pm

No need to hurry, just put it on the list for some time in the future when it happens anyway. I haven't programmed in C++ in like ten years, only Java and currently I'm under pressure with another book, so, no way, I can refresh my C++ before late summer.

J.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby someguy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:20 am

Frankly, I'd sooner see the effort spent on making copy/paste work in dialogs, particularly in chat windows.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:04 am

Jabberwocky wrote in Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:59 pm:No need to hurry, just put it on the list for some time in the future when it happens anyway. I haven't programmed in C++ in like ten years, only Java and currently I'm under pressure with another book, so, no way, I can refresh my C++ before late summer.

No C++ needed: FlightGear uses an embedded scripting language called "Nasal", which looks very much like JavaScript: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Nasal
And feature requests are better filed here: http://flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/

someguy wrote in Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:20 am:Frankly, I'd sooner see the effort spent on making copy/paste work in dialogs, particularly in chat windows.

technically, copy/paste is already supported by FG using two Nasal extension functions - see the Nasal Console dialog as an implementation reference:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Nasal_Console

However, if you're referring to mouse-selection, that too, can be supported by Canvas-based dialogs (without having to touch any C++ code):

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:26 pm

Okay, when I have more time after the next book, I look into this NASAL
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:05 pm

This bug is now fixed, you have to wait FG 3.2 (or build FG from GIT)

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks a lot!
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby pommesschranke » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:44 pm

In FG 3.5 I can use the mousewheel to scroll through the list of models when placing objects with the UFO.
It does not work anymore in 3.7

any ideas ?
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Return to New features