Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

osgearth

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

osgearth

Postby junior-s » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi there!

I don't plan to compile FG with osgearth now, but I wonder if it will be a default thing in the next release.
I read the news and it said "osgearth will probably be present in 3.0". Since it's not in 3.0, is it wrong to assume it will be present in 3.2?

Also. If I install the git version, will it still need to compile osg or it will come automatically via updates?

Regards.
junior-s
Retired

Callsign: junior-s
Version: GIT

Re: osgearth

Postby Hooray » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:29 pm

it's been put for review in time for the 3.0 release - however, the review didn't go quite as planned, it's now "scheduled" for 3.2 - but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will end up in 3.2 - ultimately, it's up to FG core developers, i.e. the bottleneck is on the FG side of things currently. This may change once poweroftwo is provided with commit access to SG/FG, but currently it's not clean when that will happen...

So far, osgearth is still kept in a separate branch maintained by poweroftwo.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby junior-s » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:29 am

You might already know that I compiled FG Git the same way as you: with that Script. Not with git specifically.
So it's quite confusing to know how I'm supposed to compile FG with osgearth. In the Wiki page it says:

git clone -v -b 2.12-OsgEarthIntegration git@gitorious.org:fg/flightgear-osgearth.git flightgear

but it's clear I can't run this command as it is:

[junior@junior ~]$ git clone -v -b 2.12-OsgEarthIntegration git@gitorious.org:fg/flightgear-osgearth.git flightgear
Cloning into 'flightgear'...
error: cannot run ssh: No such file or directory
fatal: unable to fork
[junior@junior ~]$

I might need to edit it's end to look something like "/home/junior/fgfs/some-directory", right?
junior-s
Retired

Postby AndersG » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:37 am

Most obviously from the error you'd need to install the ssh (secure shell) program. However, with gitorious you usually only use SSH as transport when doing authenticated accesses to a repository (e.g. to push changes) - when you only want to clone a repository you anyway don't have write access to use the GIT or HTTPS transports.

The command will probably be:
Code: Select all
git clone -v -b 2.12-OsgEarthIntegration git://gitorious.org:fg/flightgear-osgearth.git flightgear
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:47 pm

junior-s wrote in Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:29 am:You might already know that I compiled FG Git the same way as you: with that Script. Not with git specifically.
So it's quite confusing to know how I'm supposed to compile FG with osgearth. In the Wiki page it says:

I don't use any script to build FG, so I am not sure what script you are referring to - however, "git" is just where the code is coming from in the case of SG/FG.
Even if you are using brisa's d&c script, it will still get the code for SG/FG/FGDATA via git - to use your existing build setup to build with osgEarth support, you really only need to add a git remote for the osg repository and then check out the corresponding SG/FG branches - that's how I did it a few months ago, and how I documented things (check the wiki).

Conceptually, there's no reason why this should no longer work...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby junior-s » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 pm

@AndersG: Yeah. I block my SSH port by default. I should've read that error better, but it was 5 AM so I deserve a little break :P

@Hooray: Sorry. Somehow I miss-confused you with chris_blues.
junior-s
Retired

Postby poweroftwo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:29 pm:it's been put for review in time for the 3.0 release - however, the review didn't go quite as planned, it's now "scheduled" for 3.2 - but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will end up in 3.2 - ultimately, it's up to FG core developers, i.e. the bottleneck is on the FG side of things currently. This may change once poweroftwo is provided with commit access to SG/FG, but currently it's not clean when that will happen...

So far, osgearth is still kept in a separate branch maintained by poweroftwo.

The ball is really in my court on the next phase of osgEarth integration. I removed my git merge request to complete some functionality. I have been pulled away for a few weeks but hope to tidy up some details on the latest changes soon.

poweroftwo
poweroftwo

Postby junior-s » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:15 pm

Is osgearth going to be pushed into git?
junior-s
Retired

Postby Hooray » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:36 pm

see the previous responses
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Alant » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Is it possible to build this at the moment?

The git repos (simgear, flightgear, fgdata, fgrun) at https://gitorious.org/~poweroftwo all have different version numbers which kills Cmake at the Simgear test stage.

The wiki says that it is is out of date.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby poweroftwo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:35 pm

sorry about the wiki being out of date. Here is a link to the correct branches that are current.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23075#p210660
Last edited by poweroftwo on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poweroftwo

Postby Alant » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:44 pm

It seems I have solved my own problem.

I use the windows Cmake gui ( not command line) and had checked out the next branch. I have now learnt a little more about Cmake and have swtched branches to 2.99.I will give ut another go tomorrow.

Thanks

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Return to osgEarth