Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Data folder VERSION control question?

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Data folder VERSION control question?

Postby wlbragg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Is there a way to bypass, fool or add multiple version #'s to VERSION file in the data folder so one can start any version of FG without having to edit that file every time?

thx
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: Data folder VERSION control question?

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:34 pm

great question, but: no there isn't
here, I have just removed the checked from the branch I am usually working with.
But I admit that it would be better to provide a --prop: option to disable the check optionally - it would be useful for people juggling many different branches of SG/FG/FGDATA (while still knowing what they're doing obviously)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am

I don't think this is likely to work - there's too many changes which are correlated across binary and FGData. For instance, the runway lighting being exposed has affected the binary, but the effect declarations needed reside in FGData. TorstenD's ATIS changes are across both. Typically, I can't even start FG when getting a new binary without also updating FGData - it just crashes.

So I don't think this would be desirable - and if you must, modifying the version file is easy enough.
Thorsten

Postby JazzTp » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm

After installing FlightGear 3.0.1 in Windows, data\version contains 3.0.0 and startup stops with an error message.
Editing to 3.0.1 solves the problem, as I could learn from this thread, thank you.

(
Copying the error message for search engines:

Version check failed: please check your installation.

Found data files for version '3.0.0' at 'D:\Program Files\FlightGear_3-0-1\data', version '3.0.1' is required.
)
JazzTp

Postby Hooray » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Thorsten wrote in Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am:I don't think this is likely to work - there's too many changes which are correlated across binary and FGData. For instance, the runway lighting being exposed has affected the binary, but the effect declarations needed reside in FGData. TorstenD's ATIS changes are across both. Typically, I can't even start FG when getting a new binary without also updating FGData - it just crashes.

So I don't think this would be desirable - and if you must, modifying the version file is easy enough.

It works for people who know what they're doing - but providing it as an option could be problematic, because most people are unlikely to know what this entails, so it may be more trouble supporting this than requiring people to edit that file every time
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:10 pm

I was just wondering if there might be any other existing mechanism (other than changing the code or the VERSION file) by which you could circumvent or satisfy that check.

I think if it were up to me, because I do bounce back and forth between two data sets, (cutting edge and current stable) and at least two FG program versions, (again cutting edge and current stable), I would or maybe will, change the code at the version check to look for the correct code, then if not satisfied, read to see if there is a next line in file [VERSION]. If so and it is say, TRUE, it would let it go. Then only people that "know what they are doing" can edit that file one time and not be bothered with it again. Simple fix, but absolutely necessary, no.

At any rate it is no big deal, just an annoyance that I now have the ability to change, at least in my version.
But thank you for the replies, I appreciate them as well as JazzTp appears to have!
wlbragg

Postby JazzTp » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Yes I did.

(The multiple lines multiple versions format seems to me a very good and simple idea.)
JazzTp

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:17 pm

I think if it were up to me, because I do bounce back and forth between two data sets, (cutting edge and current stable) and at least two FG program versions, (again cutting edge and current stable)

You lost me here. So if you have the 3.1 binary and the 3.1 FGData and the 3.0 binary and the 3.0 FGData, why would you want to mix them and run, say, 3.1 binary with 3.0 FGData?! (Which is what the version check currently prevents you from doing).
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:46 pm

My main issue is when I want to run 3.0 binary with 3.1 data and then also switch back to 3.1 binary on the same 3.1 data. I don't know that I ever need to use 3.0 data with 3.1 binary, but maybe I do on occasion. I find myself doing it on a regular enough basis that I got annoyed enough to ask the question.
It's a simple version check, no mystery, I for one bounce back and forth with different combinations. As for the "why" I guess I do things in 3.1 data that I want to check out using 3.0 binary. :)
wlbragg

Postby Hooray » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 pm

you could simply use git and always switch that way between next and some tagged version
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Philosopher » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:07 pm

And rebase/cherry-pick changes in 3.1 back to 3.0... ;)
Philosopher

Return to Installation