Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Atlas still in use ?

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Atlas still in use ?

Postby kuifje09 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:29 pm

A few weeks ago I started a complete new flightgear env, while downloaded/installed it using download_and_compile.sh

All looks going rather well, but Atlas and Map fail.

I read some about problems and solutions, there should even be a version 0.5.0 ?
The version I gat at last with CVS as below... is version 0.4.9 .

As the picture in that thread shows, it should be working, but I cant even get it compiled.

Using the old version 0.3.0 is no option because of a change in the Scenery files.
Using MapView is a kind of work-around, but Atlas is better, however the streetview in mapview is realy nice.

When I compile Map, I get stuck with :
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgmagvar
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgtiming
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgmisc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgio
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgserial
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgdebug
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgbucket
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgstructure
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgmath
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgthreads

I have not any idea how to fix this...
kuifje09

Re: Atlas still in use ?

Postby kuifje09 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:49 pm

I changed the build of simgear so I have now also the shared objects.
> libSimGearScene.so

But it does not help.

While building, I got the error curl.h was missing ? Installed that package. but still the same error
about missing the modules magvar etc...
kuifje09

Postby Alant » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Brian Shack has been responding to similar questions lately on the Atlas email list - Atlas-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... tlas-devel

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby kuifje09 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:36 pm

I just checked the versions available, and the latest version on sourceforge is 0.3.1 while I have 0.4.0 on my system ?

edit: removed typo.
Last edited by kuifje09 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kuifje09

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 pm

with all the recent progress in the Canvas/MapStructure department, we're really only a few months away from being able to support ~60-70% of the main features provided by atlas, as a built-in component inside FlightGear itself. The main thing missing currently is support for rendering tiled maps - which is something that TheTom has been working on recently. Once the Map and airport selection dialogs are ported to Canvas/MapStructure, it should be pretty straightforward to add missing features.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Alant » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:06 pm

That could well come from a fork by Geoff McLane . He has been building his own versions and he calls his latest Atlas 11. See his web site http://geoffmclane.com/fg/atlas-07.htm

Brian Shack made some updates late last year to the original repo at http://atlas.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=cvs . I suggest again that you write to the Atlas Devel list.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:19 pm

There's now a pretty comprehensive article on extending FlightGear's canvas system with custom rendering elements, this could be used to re-implement (or "port") parts of atlas to be usable via Canvas, built right into FlightGear:

Basically, Canvas works in terms of "elements", each element representing a certain drawing mode (text, OpenVG paths (vector images), raster images, geographic positions (Map) and groups).

To add support for a new element type, the "element" or "group" interfaces would need to be sub-classed normally.

But in the case of atlas, this would be primarily about extending/sub-classing existing elements, namely: Map (which is a subclass of group, intended to manage symbols with geographic positions), and CanvasImage (which works with raster images).

We previously discussed the idea:
bschack wrote:The code that comes closest to what you immediately need (creating map textures) is in TileMapper.cxx and the classes that it depends on, like Bucket.cxx and Subbucket.cxx (where the real drawing takes place).

There's an existing example of CanvasImage being subclassed in FlightGear, for the "window" class, in $FG_SRC/Canvas/window.?xx

If bschack could provide a few more pointers, I could probably help and put a quick prototype together that uses "live" atlas image generation, adds those as canvas raster images and geo-aligns them using the Map mode. For starters, we would primarily need access to the classes required for rendering the heightmap to an offscreen RTT.

For additionial details please see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Development#Elements

Subject: Jabiru J-170 (DEVELOPMENT)

omega95 wrote:By the way, Fred can you give me an idea on how to use od_gauge to continuously render a camera view to texture? I don't really know much about it but then every says that Project Rembrandt involves continuous rendering to texture.

And, is there a way to get terrain as a view? I mean, sorta like changing the color based on terrain. Oh, and I'd also need to place my own texture on the terrain, instead of the materials textures..

So, that's not just using od_gauge, for a terrain view, I'd need to actually re-render the whole terrain with some extra stuff...

Here's a picture of the real thing..

So, I was thinking we have the basic terrain and have a checker box texture over it.

And then diffuse it according to this gradient based on altitude.

Any ideas? 8)
Last edited by Hooray on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby bschack » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:07 am

kuifje09 wrote in Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:29 pm:A few weeks ago I started a complete new flightgear env, while downloaded/installed it using download_and_compile.sh

All looks going rather well, but Atlas and Map fail.

I read some about problems and solutions, there should even be a version 0.5.0 ?
The version I gat at last with CVS as below... is version 0.4.9 .

As the picture in that thread shows, it should be working, but I cant even get it compiled.

Using the old version 0.3.0 is no option because of a change in the Scenery files.
Using MapView is a kind of work-around, but Atlas is better, however the streetview in mapview is realy nice.

When I compile Map, I get stuck with :
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgmagvar
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgtiming
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgmisc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgio
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgserial
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgdebug
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgbucket
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgstructure
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgmath
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsgthreads

I have not any idea how to fix this...

It seems that SimGear can only be compiled as a shared library. To make Atlas happy with that, in the configuration step, specify "--enable-simgear-shared". In other words, your configuration command will look something like:

Code: Select all
% ./configure --with-fgbase=<foo> --with-simgear=<bar> --enable-simgear-shared ...

(Of course, the specifics depend on your particular installation of FlightGear, SimGear, libraries, etc)

Brian
bschack

Postby kuifje09 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Hello Bschack,

I think you hit the spot, but then I run into another issue. I changed all places about plib in the atlas part, in de configure file to get it working, but I think I do not realy know what to do... It fails always in the same way :

Ofcource I added your option : --enable-simgear-shared to the other options.

checking plib/pu.h usability... no
checking plib/pu.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
checking for plib/pu.h... no

You *must* have the plib library installed on your system to build
Atlas!

configure aborted.

And plib is present. Sure. plib/pu.h is in /home/flight/FG/install/plib or /home/flight/FG/install/plib/include , just how deep to specify ?

Any idea how to fix it further ?
kuifje09

Postby sanhozay » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:10 am

Looks to me like a different version of Autoconf from when the configure.ac was written which has more rigorous checks?

See the change here: https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/m ... e-Compiled

So it's not that it can't find pu.h, its's that there's something in there that Autoconf wants a check for. Post pu.h if you can't figure it out.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby bschack » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:28 am

kuifje09 wrote in Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 pm:Hello Bschack,

I think you hit the spot, but then I run into another issue. I changed all places about plib in the atlas part, in de configure file to get it working, but I think I do not realy know what to do... It fails always in the same way :

Ofcource I added your option : --enable-simgear-shared to the other options.

checking plib/pu.h usability... no
checking plib/pu.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: plib/pu.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
checking for plib/pu.h... no

You *must* have the plib library installed on your system to build
Atlas!

configure aborted.

And plib is present. Sure. plib/pu.h is in /home/flight/FG/install/plib or /home/flight/FG/install/plib/include , just how deep to specify ?

Any idea how to fix it further ?

As sanhozay has suggested, it appears you're using a newer version of autoconf. I think this can be fixed easily by modifying configure.ac - where you see AC_CHECK_HEADER(plib/pu.h), change it to AC_CHECK_HEADERS(plib/pu.h) (i.e., just add "S" to "AC_CHECK_HEADER").

Let me know if it works.

Brian
bschack

Postby kuifje09 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Right Brian,

That works, but I had to change the configure file after is was generated.

Changed AC_CHECK_HEADER(plib/pu.h) into AC_CHECK_HEADERS(plib/pu.h)

But then with download_and_compile somrthing fails... So I changed also the SIMGEAR Path and Option in the config file
also the plib lib path. Then ran ./configure and make. then moved the executables to the place expected.

Then it is working.

Just have to check for the maps itself now. Now I have some reddisch maps where I have flown...
I come back with my findings about the maps. But atlas works ! Great. Now I have names, numbers and morse code again.

EDIT: After stopping Atlas, this error is on the "console":
freeglut ERROR: Function <glutSetWindow> called without first calling 'glutInit'. Does not harm, but is strange. Maby you want to know ?
kuifje09

Postby kuifje09 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Hello Brian,

Just generated some of the maps, and it is almost as it was before.
I ran into the problem, Atlas said apt.dat.gz is an unknown version ( 1000 )
I editted the file so it is version ( 850 )
Atlas then just eats the stufff, and it looks good but 1 thing.

The airports are darkgrey, fine !, but the runways are not visible.
You can see where they should be, but no color, just the background shows a bit of ghost where the rwy is.

( must be my problem, I seem to run into all possible version problems you can think of :roll: )
kuifje09

Postby bschack » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:05 am

Regarding version 1000 airport files, Atlas currently can’t read them correctly. The runway data has changed completely since 850, so Atlas at the moment ignores it - thus it won’t display runways. You can wait for an update to Atlas to read the new airport files, or replace the airport file with an old 850 version one (I don’t know what effect this would have on FlightGear though).

Good to hear that things are mostly working for you now.

Brian
bschack

Postby wonko » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:36 am

For the impatient ones who have managed to compile Atlas from CVS:

I have made a quick adaption of the apt.dat reading routines in Atlas such that they can cope with the new format apt.dat. You have to replace NavData.cxx and NavData.hxx in the Atlas/src directory with the modified versions:

NavData.cxx

NavData.hxx

And here the patch files showing the differences:

NavData.cxx.patch

NavData.hxx.patch

Note that these 'quick-fix' patches will eventually be superseded by a proper fix in the CVS. They have not been tested extensively but appear to give reasonable results.
wonko

Version: 3.0

Next

Return to Atlas