Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

DDS for textures Rotterdam

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

DDS for textures Rotterdam

Postby ironmaiden » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Just thought if this is possible or the developers can have a look at it.

I was checking out XPX Photoscenery from ZoneFree Xplane (these are free) and downloaded Rotterdam / Frankfurt and extracted them , well there is a texture folder which contains .dds files and the thumbnail view shows the Rottedam scenery. Can this be used for Rotterdam / Frankfurt ?

Thanks.
ironmaiden

Re: DDS for textures Rotterdam

Postby ludomotico » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:27 pm

I believe we will get photoscenery support using OsgEarth. Check this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21351

It won't be officially included in the next release of FlightGear due to lack of time to test and settle the new features, but you can build today FlightGear with photoscenery. Current plugins only allow downloading photoscenery from free sources in the internet, but you can easily configure a plugin to get images from the disk (your .dds files) or other alternate sources.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby ironmaiden » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:29 pm

ludomotico wrote in Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:27 pm:I believe we will get photoscenery support using OsgEarth. Check this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21351

It won't be officially included in the next release of FlightGear due to lack of time to test and settle the new features, but you can build today FlightGear with photoscenery. Current plugins only allow downloading photoscenery from free sources in the internet, but you can easily configure a plugin to get images from the disk (your .dds files) or other alternate sources.

Hi,

To be honest I would not understand anything :) but I will surely give it a try. thanks
ironmaiden

Postby ludomotico » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:32 pm

If you don't know how to build FlightGear and you use Windows, there is a link in the second message about how to patch FlightGear 2.12 in Windows.

The patch has some bugs and only works for FlightGear 2.12 64bits, but you can get an idea of what you'll get in the near future!
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby ironmaiden » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:39 pm

ludomotico wrote in Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:32 pm:If you don't know how to build FlightGear and you use Windows, there is a link in the second message about how to patch FlightGear 2.12 in Windows.

The patch has some bugs and only works for FlightGear 2.12 64bits, but you can get an idea of what you'll get in the near future!

Alright, let me check this out.
ironmaiden

Postby ironmaiden » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey BTW can I use the opengl injector in FG ?
ironmaiden

Postby Johan G » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 pm

ironmaiden wrote in Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm:...there is a texture folder which contains .dds files and the thumbnail view shows the Rottedam scenery. Can this be used for Rotterdam / Frankfurt ?

The drawback with .dds textures is that not all of the graphics cards can support them. :( IIRC, when using .dds textures in aircraft it is recommended to only use that as an option and use regular textures (i guess, .rgb, .jpg or preferable .png) as default.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.2

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:45 pm

ironmaiden wrote in Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm:I was checking out XPX Photoscenery from ZoneFree Xplane (these are free) and downloaded Rotterdam / Frankfurt and extracted them , well there is a texture folder which contains .dds files and the thumbnail view shows the Rottedam scenery. Can this be used for Rotterdam / Frankfurt ?

• As pointed out, FlightGear 3.2 will probably contain osgEarth support implemented by poweroftwo
  • Gijs has been maintaining an article on using photo scenery in FlightGear: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Photoscenery
  • And then, there's fgphotoscenery who's been distributing his own photo scenery: Subject: fgphotoscenery
    fgphotoscenery wrote:Here is photographic scenery of selected places in the United States for flightgear. The scenery images have been created from the public domain imagery courtesy of the U.S. Geological Survey USGS, have a resolution of about 3m/pixel (10ft/pixel) and are released under the GNU General Public Licence (GPL).
    fgphotoscenery.square7.ch

fgphotoscenery's method is pretty compelling, but it still does require patching/rebuilding FlightGear: http://fgphotoscenery.square7.ch/
Meanwhile, what we could do is identify which hooks are needed to make this work and provide those via the Canvas system: Canvas textures can already be placed in the scenery, so there should be very little needed in terms of placement-specific attributes, and the corresponding code should be available in SimGear/FlightGear already.

The patch required to modify FlightGear obviously already uses shaders and effects, and it's mostly about exposing additional parameters to the shaders - I have recently been playing with shaders in canvas and the results were pretty convincing:+
Tom also mentioned a while ago that he made a few experiments related to this. And being able to use arbitrary canvas textures as orthographic overlays would be kinda useful for many things. Even Tim and Curt talked about how cool having such a feature in FlightGear would be:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Devel ... te_note-21
Curt wrote:Given an image and the location and orientation of the camera, it would be possible to locate world coordinates across a grid on that image. That would allow a quick/crude orthorectification where the image could be rubber sheeted onto the terrain. This would take some offline processing, but you could end up building up a near real time 3d view of the world than could then be viewed from a variety of perspectives. The offline tools could update the master images based on resolution or currency ... that's probably a phd project for someone, but many of the pieces are already in place and the results could be extremely nice and extremely useful (think managing the effort to fight a dynamic forest fire, or other emergency/disaster management, traffic monitoring, construction sites, city/county management & planning, etc.) I could even imagine some distrubuted use of this so that if you have several uav's out flying over an area, they could send their imagery back to a central location to update a master database ... then the individual operators could see near real time 3d views of places that another uav has already overflown.
If we started building up more functionality in this area, there are a lot of different directions we could take it, all of which could be extremely cool.

So this should have a pretty good chance of getting accepted upstream ...

If anybody is interested in working on this, just get in touch - given that there is already a patch doing this sort of thing, it should be straightforward to generalize things a bit to ensure that this becomes a feature in FG 3.2, without requiring any patching.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:09 pm

If Canvas could be used as a terrain overlay, I guess one at some point could plot a cross country flight right down on the ground... (Just thinking loud here. ;) )
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.2

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:14 pm

It isn't all that far-fetched actually, the extra500 guys used canvas textures that had resolutions which could definitely be used as an overlay.
Once we've added shader/effects support, there isn't too much missing actually - probably a handful of new placement-specific attributes to align the texture correctly. Most of the really difficult work has been done already by fgphotoscenery, and TheTom obviously
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby hvengel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:54 pm

Johan G wrote in Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 pm:
ironmaiden wrote in Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm:...there is a texture folder which contains .dds files and the thumbnail view shows the Rottedam scenery. Can this be used for Rotterdam / Frankfurt ?

The drawback with .dds textures is that not all of the graphics cards can support them. :( IIRC, when using .dds textures in aircraft it is recommended to only use that as an option and use regular textures (i guess, .rgb, .jpg or preferable .png) as default.

I believe that this has to do with using compressed .dds files since this requires a proprietary patented compression/decompression algorithm which is not available (yet) for use in open source drivers. If my understanding is correct uncompressed .dds files should work with just about any existing open GL driver/GPU. It is also my understanding that the patent on the compression/decompression algorithm will expire in a few years and that the people who are working on the open source drivers already know how to add this to their drivers and are currently waiting for the patent to expire before releasing drivers that support compressed dds files.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:14 pm

This is all true, and has been discussed extensively on the devel list and in the issue tracker, but as far as I understand the patch, DDS is used "by choice", we could just as well use "png, tiff or even jpeg/gif" :lol:
It's just the way the patch has been written, probably to reduce space requirements on disk. Unless I am missing something, I don't think there's any real reason that these textures MUST be stored in DDS format - we were able to use texture overlays long before DDS became available - people are just using DDS because it saves space and because /some/ hardware can deal with the format directly.

The patch is using osgDB::readFile() to access the image, it could just as well BMP :D
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Scenery