Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Multi screen configuration not working

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Multi screen configuration not working

Postby hjr70 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 am

Hi

I'm new to this forum but I use flightgear for a long time. I use a multi screen configuration (2 screens, 1 PC).
This is done with a camera-views.xml added to the rendering line in preferences.xml. The configuration worked well till version 2.10.
In version 2.12.x and 3.0 the grafic in the two screend is ok. But I can only use the mouse in 1 screen (the screen with the menus on top)
the to controll the instruments and switches.
Is there a possibility to fix this? I need a solution to control the instument pannel over 2 screens.

Thanks
hjr70
Last edited by hjr70 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hjr70

Re: Multi screen configuration not working

Postby pommesschranke » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 pm

I have a 3 screen setup and found out that spanning one big window over all screens gave me better
performance than the 3 windows option using camera-views.xml and frustum parameters.

I still have to find a way to move the menu more to the right ( center ) because in my current screen layout it is now in an invisble area (the center screen is higher than the screens left & right)
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 pm

pommesschranke wrote in Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 pm:I still have to find a way to move the menu more to the right ( center ) because in my current screen layout it is now in an invisble area (the center screen is higher than the screens left & right)

That's not directly supported by our existing GUI, so would need changes to the C++ code or a Canvas-based menubar instead. But in the meantime, you could simply add empty menus as placeholders in front of the first menu by editing menubar.xml probably
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby pommesschranke » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Hooray wrote in Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 pm:so would need changes to the C++ code or a Canvas-based menubar instead.

yes. I plan to play with that when I'm back at my "big & fast" PC

But in the meantime, you could simply add empty menus as placeholders in front of the first menu by editing menubar.xml probably

thanks for this smart idea for a workaround!
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:41 pm

I don't think there's anything missing in order to replace our native menubar with a Canvas-based implementation, it should be pretty straightforward, TheTom & Zakalawe have mentioned that a few times - and meanwhile, the Canvas is fairly feature-complete to support events and GUI stuff, we would just need to come up with a "menubar" widget that's based on popup menus. So basically, two new widgets that would need to be created, and the PUI menubar could go.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Philosopher » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Yeah, the current problem is that the menu at is still handled in C++, and AFAIK the translated strings aren't exposed anywhere... I tried adding an extension function for the translation strings, but I was having problems with compiling/updating (and some other things). It's basically a one-line interface to globals->getLocale()->getTranslatedString(...). Otherwise the menubar is stored in the property tree - /sim/menubar/

But I think we can disable the PUI-bar?
Philosopher

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 pm

the menubar can be simply hidden (F10) - while it is drawn via C++, all the strings/structure are PropertyList XML in menubar.xml - so we would just need to:

Code: Select all
foreach(var menu; var io.read_properties("menubar.xml").getValues().menu) {
 # create new popup menu entry for menu.name
 foreach(var item; menu.item) {
 # create new item/entry
 # addEventListener for each binding
 }
}

names/strings would need to be resolved by using translations as an overlay
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby hjr70 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks for all your posts. Has someone an idea why the camera view doesn't work in 2.12.x and 3.0 (1. post)?
I will maybe change to the 1 GUI 2 screen solution as well. But my first solution worked well for a long time.
hjr70

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:50 pm

I'd suggest to file a bug report, probably something has changed that we're not aware of.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Interfacing