Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Corrupt textures when using Rembrandt or ALS

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Corrupt textures when using Rembrandt or ALS

Postby Stevy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:17 pm

When I use either of Rembrandt or Atmospheric Light Scattering, some of the text in the menus disappear, with various bits of text disappearing then reappearing every second: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_3GA2rRr7-3dURKUVNfOTBNX0U/edit?usp=sharing

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I go about fixing this? My specs and FG setup are as follows:
Intel i5-4570
8GB DDR3 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition 2GB
1920*1200 @ 16bpp
Point sprites disabled
Shader effects on 5
Atmospheric effects (particles, precipitation, 3D clouds) all enabled
Rembrandt: maximum shadows, bloom and ambient occlusion.

Strangely the situation is worsened if I reduce the strength of the Rembrandt effects. I'm getting 20-30fps in this setup. With eyecandy to an absolute minimum, I get 50fps, but never any higher (frame rate throttle is disabled, so I'm not sure why this is), and very occasionally have issues with the text in menus. I had this issue in v2.12.1 with ALS but v2.10 and previous never had any problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :D
Stevy

Callsign: G-STPN
Version: 3.0

Re: Corrupt textures when using Rembrandt or ALS

Postby Thorsten » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Sorry, google says it won't show me the screenshot and suggests that I install the chrome browser - which I won't. So I can't really comment. My first guess would be a driver issue, especially if it affects ALS and Rembrandt which are really internally totally different code.
Thorsten

Postby Stevy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Thorsten, I've uploaded the image elsewhere http://imageshack.com/a/img823/4016/ci7z.jpg

I've tried using both the AMD Catalyst 13.12 drivers and the 14.1 Beta, but no luck. I had the same issue on another PC (with integrated AMD graphics, but same 13.12 driver), so I guess it's just down to the AMD drivers then?
Stevy

Postby Thorsten » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Hm, okay - this looks different from the mental picture I had... so the screenshot was useful.

So - this occurs only using ALS and Rembrandt, not if you're using default? Thing is, the menu isn't really ALS-specific at all, its rendering should just be as in the default framework, there is no ALS shader applied to the menu at all, so I fail to see why it should make a difference how the rest is rendered.

Are you running out of graphical memory or something? ALS would be heavier on resources in general, so maybe something just runs out here...
Thorsten

Postby Stevy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Hmm, I don't think this should be down to running out of memory: it's a 2GB GPU, and this occurs even on 800*600 resolution. However, this does occur occasionally when I'm not using Rembrandt or ALS, it's just worsened when I am (especially ALS). If frame rates would help troubleshoot, I'm getting 45-50 without either, 40ish with ALS and 25ish with Rembrandt with everything turned up.
Stevy

Return to Graphics