Board index FlightGear Release candidates 3.0

TNCM: Flooded airport and incorrect Rwy placement

This is the archive of topics about the 3.0 release candidates.

TNCM: Flooded airport and incorrect Rwy placement

Postby drdavid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:26 pm

I noted in another thread a comment about a flooded airport. I discovered a similar problem with TNCM and encountered additional problems. The airplane is not positioned on the end of the selected runway. There is a large hill behind Rwy 28, which is missing. I tried the Visibility (Z/z) adjustment to check if the hill was just in mist, but to no effect. And at the moment the splash screen dissolved, the plane was spinning in the air and then set down on the surface.

The Constellation presented another incorrect aircraft placement.

Several other aircraft I tested (757-200, 777-200ER, Aero Commander, A-4) loaded correctly, but the flooded airport and missing section of scenery was present in all instances.

Regards. :?
drdavid

Callsign: SkyBoat
Version: 3.2.0

Re: TNCM: Flooded airport and incorrect Rwy placement

Postby f-ojac » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:54 pm

The flooding is know, and Pete has a fix for it (not that this was in the Known bugs of the new scenery: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_W ... imitations
Concerning the position of the aircraft, are you sure you are using the latest apt.dat. This misplacement is usually due to using 2.01 scenery and an older apt.dat.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby drdavid » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 am

@f-ojac--

I finally had the chance to download FG 3.0.0 and now have the lastest apt.dat file (I checked to make sure). The airplanes are now in the correct rwy position, but TNCM is still flooded with the surrounding scenery not correctly rendered. For my own curiosity, I tried to taxi an aircraft over the flooded area, but the nose dropped off the edge of the pavement into the water. I'm stymied. :shock:

The link you provided didn't appear to have a fix or patch for this particular airport.

Cheers
drdavid

Postby Thorsten » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 am

but TNCM is still flooded with the surrounding scenery not correctly rendered

The scenery is rendered just fine, there's nothing wrong with the rendering itself, the problem is in the scenery generation - the underlying terrain mesh data has issues, and this requires a rebuilt of the scenery. The issue is independent of the FG version you're using and will be gone once new scenery data has been created. If you want to use TNCM, for the time being just use the old scenery.

The link you provided didn't appear to have a fix or patch for this particular airport.

There is a fix for the scenery-generating tool on the way, but not yet for the scenery data itself.
Thorsten

Postby drdavid » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 am

Thorsten--

Thanks for the update. I'll use the old scenery and eagerly await the new. I appreciate the work you put into all of this!

Regards.
drdavid

Postby f-ojac » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:53 pm

There are a few airports having this bug, if you have a look at KHAF git version, it's not flooded anymore, so it shows Pete's fix is working great indeed.
Now we just have to find an opportunity to build a new worldwide scenery (it takes nearly one month just to build it). However, we might have a present for our fellow US users to push in before rebuilding it all.
f-ojac

Postby statto » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:24 pm

f-ojac wrote in Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:53 pm:There are a few airports having this bug, if you have a look at KHAF git version, it's not flooded anymore, so it shows Pete's fix is working great indeed.
Now we just have to find an opportunity to build a new worldwide scenery (it takes nearly one month just to build it). However, we might have a present for our fellow US users to push in before rebuilding it all.

Is the present a secret, and if not, does it have to do with land use data?
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby f-ojac » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:35 pm

1. Yes.
2. Yes.

;-)
f-ojac

Postby CA1012_Falcon5 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:03 pm

well thats not fair. i was planning on going to TNCM with my Concorde. :( :( :( :( :(
CA1012_Falcon5

Callsign: Falcon/MIA0010
Version: 2016.2.1

Return to 3.0