Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

F-16CJ HUD types

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

F-16CJ HUD types

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:05 am

G'day,

Friend here. I'm currently developing a series of realistic HUDs for the F-16CJ (not the original F-16, mind you), and I need to know how to implement certain aspects of Canvas, radar, and targeting.

Please address whatever you will with the number before your post so I know what your'e talking about. :D

1) In the 787-8 (the newest version, in GIT I believe), the Head-Up Display(s) are a nice green with a convenient runway liner-upper thingy. It has an arrow that looks 3D to line up with the runway so you can land or takeoff accordingly. The F-16 has this in real life, so I need to implement something along those lines. How do I do this?

2) In real life, the F-16 Fighting Falcon is a multi-role jet fighter designed with a magnificent HUD that allows close-in dogfighting with air superiority aircraft. The HUD displays among other things what we know as a Target Lead (TL); often this is mistakenly referred to as the "energy worm" that sits so mysteriously in the hud.xml. The TL displays a line connecting the target--often an enemy aircraft--to a box or circle (preferably a box) that allows the pilot to aim his/her 20mm at the fleeing target. The box is the area that he or she must aim inside of to successfully hit the aircraft. Its slang is the "gun box". I need to know how to do this. I saw something similar in the FG Forum where someone made a custom HUD for the V-22(X) Osprey, but that, after all, is not the F-16. Real fighters have this feature if all else goes wrong and they need to depend on the ol' guns. Again, I have no idea how this will work, but if anyone knows anything, that would be great.

3) The F-16CJ could use the energy worm. There it lies in the XML, but how does it get implemented? It is a massive help for pilots of any sort, and I would really like to see this worked out as well as the waypoint marker.

4) Also, this is perhaps the most important out of all. The F-16CJ must have the radar capabilities that the Mirage 2000-5 has, or close to them. The Mirage 2000-5 has radar capabilities which identify the selected target's callsign, bearing, speed, etc. This must happen. Radar improvised autopilot tracking would be fantastic but is not required, I suppose.

5) Final issue. There needs to be a panel, which might already be modeled for the Falcon, which has switches for the different HUDs: T/O, A/A, LDG, etc. The F-14b has an example of this, and I believe the Mirage 2000-5 has it as well, though I could be wrong. Regardless, it is essential that this need be met so that the gun box can lead and whatnot.

Many thanks to all,

Friend, Commander of HSOTF

http://helldiversquadron.wordpress.com
HelldiverSquadron

Callsign: Friend
Version: 3.0

Re: F-16CJ HUD types

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:16 am

Hi, just briefly:

We have created a separate gitorious clone for things related to these Nasal/Canvas frameworks, you can post your gitorious handle here so that we can provide you with access.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:21 am

Hooray,

I am aware of the articles. Canvas_HUD didn't help with the worm or gun box, and it barely addresses HUDs for fighters. Thanks, though.
HelldiverSquadron

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 am

G'day,

Screenshots of the VERY young project:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/128coy ... UD_Project
HelldiverSquadron

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:27 am

We can implement most missing things easily - sometimes, we may need some new C++/Canvas hooks - but in this case, we can get a lot of prototyping done without this.
I suggest to get in touch with the MFD/Radar developers and coordinate things a little.

PS: Your screen shots are inaccessible without having an account apparently.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 am

The link works without an account.
HelldiverSquadron

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:45 am

yeah, could access them now - nice! You may want to add things to the wiki (F16 article/newsletter).
Regarding your questions: Are you familiar with Nasal/Canvas and gitorious ?
Have you previously used Nasal scripting and OOP ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:56 am

I'm a total wack when it comes to Nasal. It's a pain for me to even look at it, and I haven't much experience in canvas. I'll consider putting up a newsletter.
HelldiverSquadron

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:00 am

then, why are you even asking about coding a HUD or Radar? :lol:

I'm currently developing a series of realistic HUDs for the F-16CJ (not the original F-16, mind you), and I need to know how to implement certain aspects of Canvas, radar, and targeting.

So far, things cannot be just adopted (well, the ND is 80% there probably) - but everything else involves coding, including Nasal/Canvas and object-oriented programming.
Your #5 could be mostly done doing just 3D modeling, i.e. the panel/console part.

Otherwise, I would suggest to focus on discussing requirements for both frameworks (MFD/Radar), and maybe contributing artwork (SVGs) etc.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:15 am

HelldiverSquadron

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:21 am

You can directly add that to the newsletter, see my signature for details.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:33 am

Check the mediafire link for more shots. you can tell the difference between aliased and not.
HelldiverSquadron

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:35 am

you can also upload a few screen shots to the wiki, so that you can use them in the aircraft article or in the newsletter.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 am

It's in your newsletter. Under canvas. i hope its the right place.
HelldiverSquadron

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:49 am

Image added to newsletter(f-16cj's)
HelldiverSquadron

Next

Return to Canvas