Board index FlightGear Release candidates 3.0

3.0.0 on Win7

This is the archive of topics about the 3.0 release candidates.

Re: 3.0.0 on Win7

Postby mhab » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Hello Johan

I'm not very much a FG expert but I know a bit about Win7 and Win8

In short:
    - avoid installing 32 Bit software under "C:\Program Files" it should go to "C:\Program Files (x86)"
    - avoid to use directories "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" for anything which needs to write
    --> they have a lot of restrictions,
    --> e.g. seems in your case terrasync ?!
    - Win8 it is even more restrictive and you cannot make these directories writeable (except for setups)
    - what adds additional complexity is also the Windows "virtual store" concept which may leed you astray as it "fakes" as if you could write but stores things under something like
    "C:\Users\michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\abc..."
    e.g. FG uses e.g. "C:\Users\michael\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org"

Mike-DE
mhab

Callsign: D-MIKE
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby F-JJTH » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi Johan,

Johan G wrote in Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 pm:
  • The TerraSync folder is at C:\Program Files\FlightGear\TerraSync

This is problematic: are you sure you have write access in C:\Program Files\ ?
Usually only an Admi of the computer has write access to this directory (similarly to the /usr/bin directory in Linux)

I would rather suggest you to set the TerraSync folder in your personal directory (something like C:\Users\JohanG\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync )
It will be the default behaviour in FG 3.0

Code: Select all
  --disable-intro-music

This is the line you have to remove, this options has been removed. (Fixed in FGRun 3.0)
In order to remove the line: open the "Advanced" window in (last page in FGRun) then uncheck the "disable intro music"

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby sa7k » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:03 pm

Also, the command line says you are running "--terrasync-dir=3" check if you have mistakenly altered the path in fgrun.
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby Johan G » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:33 pm

F-JJTH wrote in Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 pm:
  • The TerraSync folder is at C:\Program Files\FlightGear\TerraSync

This is problematic: are you sure you have write access in C:\Program Files\ ?
I would rather suggest you to set the TerraSync folder in your personal directory (something like C:\Users\JohanG\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync )

Good point moved the TerraSync folder to another directory that I checked that I had write permission to.

F-JJTH wrote in Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 pm:
Code: Select all
  --disable-intro-music

This is the line you have to remove, this options has been removed. (Fixed in FGRun 3.0)
In order to remove the line: open the "Advanced" window in (last page in FGRun) then uncheck the "disable intro music"

Done!

To my great amusement changing those two things made FlightGear start. Many thanks! :D

sa7k wrote in Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:03 pm:Also, the command line says you are running "--terrasync-dir=3" check if you have mistakenly altered the path in fgrun.

I noticed that in the property browser when I tried to figure out why TerraSync would not run. It looked ok in FGRun but not in autosave_3_0.xml (<scenery-dir type="string">3</scenery-dir>), but changing it there did not seem to work. Finally I tried by adding a prop "/sim/terrasync/scenery-dir=C:\Users\Johan G\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\TerraSync scenery" in FGRuns advanced tab. That worked, and even changed the entry in the autosave_3_0.xml :D Still wonder how that could happen though.

EDIT: It worked, but still did not change the entry in autosave_3_0.xml. :(

EDIT2: Added a bug report about these problems and the workarounds (Issue #1349).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G

Postby mhab » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Just wanted to report
that with FG 3.0.0 rc2 (64-bit) and Rembrandt disabled I was finally able to fly for more than a few seconds.

Seems with Rembrandt enabled I have not the slightest chance.
Remark: sent another 2 of the automatic crash reports

Mike-DE
mhab

Postby mhab » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:23 am

Well

This is a very happy man reporting here. :D :D
I have now sucessfully used FG 3.0.0 rc2 with Rembrandt enabled and without any performance issue or crash.
I tried various airports and had terrasync enabled.

My HW/SW environment is:
Sony Vaio notebook, Win7 64-Bit, i7 2630 QM, 2.0GHz, 8 core (4 core Hyperthreading) 8Gb Memory
Graphic-Card: Nvidia
gl-vendor:NVIDIA Corporation
gl-version:4.4.0
gl-renderer:GeForce GT 540M/PCIe/SSE2
gl-shading-language-version:4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Big compliment for the progress info during splash screen about the download speed of scenery.

Personal note: The transition from FG 2.12 to the new terrasync integration is not really smooth to capture, once it works, however, it is done very well. Guess new users might get that easier ;-)

Remark: I have a strong impression, that my issues with terrasync dir, which got wrongly set to 2, may have caused the strange crashes, maybe in combination with Rembrandt enabled.

I will continue to report smaller issues in a different thread.

Thanks
Mike-DE
mhab

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 am

please file a support request so that your TS related issues are not forgotten - while there may not be sufficient time for 3.0, at least the 3.2 release could be improved accordingly.
Many of us don't use TS at all - so it's not uncommon to see such issues go unnoticed for quite a while

PS: congrat!
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Previous

Return to 3.0