Board index FlightGear Release candidates 3.0

RC 3.0: Problem with Zoom and a non-working link

This is the archive of topics about the 3.0 release candidates.

RC 3.0: Problem with Zoom and a non-working link

Postby drdavid » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:56 am

The transition from the Splash Screen to the cockpit view appears to have the Zoom (the X/x function) defaulting to the maximum distance:

Pretty freaky! I can zoom to the standard cockpit view using the X-key, but something is not initializing correctly.

A second problem I discovered is that the Ctrl-M hot-key in the Equipment pulldown menu does not open the map.

Oh, a third thing. I set my airport to NTAA in Tahiti. Got pine trees instead of palm trees. This surprised me because I had also done a test flight around Hawaii and the landscape and trees looked fantastic!

I also am amazed by the new cloud rendering. The dimensionality and overall realism is beautiful. Great work!

Cheers,

David
drdavid

Callsign: SkyBoat
Version: 3.2.0

Re: RC 3.0: Problem with Zoom and a non-working link

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:07 am

Oh, a third thing. I set my airport to NTAA in Tahiti. Got pine trees instead of palm trees. This surprised me because I had also done a test flight around Hawaii and the landscape and trees looked fantastic!

That's be because Hawaii had a lot of personal attention in terms of getting regional texture definitions, whereas Tahiti has not, it uses the world-wide default as far as I know. And since jungle is technically denoted evergreen forest...

If you're interested in a certain region of the planet, regionalizing textures is something you can learn to do in a few afternoons.
Thorsten

Postby zakalawe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:58 pm

drdavid wrote in Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:56 am:I can zoom to the standard cockpit view using the X-key, but something is not initializing correctly.

Hmm, that's very strange.

There are also reports of the menu-auto-hide having a strange default value on Windows - it's almost as if the initial state from preferences.xml is getting randomised - but only on Windows. Very odd.

If you reset to defaults (--restore-defaults on launch), does the problem repeat?
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby drdavid » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:15 pm

To be clear, I entered --restore-defaults on the Executable line on the Launch Control page. Was that the correct procedure?

That did not fix the problem. What I noticed, however, as the Splash Screen was in transition, the correct view of the cockpit flashed and then zoomed to what it has been doing.
drdavid

Postby Philosopher » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:30 am

Hi, do you have any joysticks plugged in? There's a possibility that might be it. Please also post any other configuration items you might have.
Philosopher

Postby drdavid » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:17 am

I use the Saitek Pro Flight yoke and throttle quadrant. I've never had an issue like this on previous versions of FGFS.

I'm curious what you were thinking, though. It got me to thinking I should run the JSDemo program in the Win32 file, which I did, and my yoke is performing okay.

Any other ideas?
drdavid

Postby zakalawe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:51 am

If you're seeing it zoom (as if someone was holding down the key) I would indeed check your input config carefully, since on some joysticks (eg, mine) zoom is bound to a toggle switch and that's exactly what would happen if the switch was reading as 'always down'. (I'm not suggesting this is a hardware issue, more likely that the joystick config file is doing something odd).
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby drdavid » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I looked at the XML files for both the Saitek "ProFlight" and "Cessna" yoke versions (I have the Pro Flight). I did not see any problems with the zoom sections in either file. I also couldn't see anything that might indicate a possible conflict between the two yoke versions. This problem only cropped up with the 3.0 RC.
drdavid

Postby Gijs » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:07 am

Just unplug all yokes/pedals/joysticks once before launching FlightGear to see if they're the issue.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby drdavid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:31 am

I was really hoping unplugging the hardware would work--but it didn't:

That's the Piper Cub, BTW, appearing as it would experiencing the phenomenon known as spaghettification as it crosses the event horizon into a black hole :wink:
drdavid

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:42 am

what's your hardware/OS ?
Some hardware sensors may be recognized by FG as joysticks and could contribute to such issues.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby drdavid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:25 am

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (HP ENVY dv6)
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.40GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

MicroProcessor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 1G (Default)
HD Monitor: LG E2341 Flatron
Hard Drives
932GB Hitachi HTS541010A9E680 (SATA)
HD-2: Toshiba Automatic Packup Potable HD USB-2, 1TB
drdavid

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:37 am

I'd suggest to check some other threads related to people encountering potential issues due to embedded hardware liked "accelerometers" being picked up by FG as "joysticks" to see if that could be the cause here, i.e. see: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=accelerometer

I think there were even some folks who saw hardware sensors inside the hard disk picked up by FG as a joystick, i.e. they could literally move the view by moving their notebook :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby drdavid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 am

Hi-- I checked on the accelerometer possibility. After reading though the posts, I even tried to see if my laptop would act as a joystick. No results, there. Also, went back to 2.12.1 to check if the same problem cropped up there. 2.12 worked fine, loading correctly. I've now installed RC3.4. Still have the same hyper-zoom problem. I searched the forum for other folks with zoom issues and got no hits. Maybe we have a bug in the RC?
drdavid

Postby drdavid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:02 pm

The solution turned out to be sitting there in plain sight. I reset the FOV to 60 degrees. :roll:
drdavid

Next

Return to 3.0