Board index FlightGear Release candidates 3.0

FG 3,0 realase candidate

This is the archive of topics about the 3.0 release candidates.

FG 3,0 realase candidate

Postby FGRS » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:35 pm

It's not possible to download the FlightGear 3,0 rc1,the link is breaking every time I try to download it.
FGRS

Callsign: UAV001
Version: 2.8

Re: FG 3,0 realase candidate

Postby zakalawe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Just tried downloading from http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/releases/ now and it worked without problem. The files are pretty big but the host is reliable - what kind of 'breaking' are you experiencing?
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm

FGRS: you need to use a download manager, especially when using a crappy internet connection - or just use a torrent instead.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby FGRS » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:54 pm

It worked eventually. :) but thanks anyway.

But I have to say that 3,0 ,even as a release candidate is a big,big disappointment. After a lot of talk about it,I really expected something more...but it's basically the FG 2, 12 but much heavier. I really do hope that the master release will be better. Some problems are still there,like this "incomplete language source" message that appears on start-up and stays there till the launch of the FG screen,window or how ever you call it,along with some strange grey squares for view names,and similar stuff.

Same problems were on the 2,12.

DHC-2 Beaver a lot of problems,when using "b" or "B" it's not breaking at all,also page up/down for thrust control,not working,strange behavior of the rear wheel....you guys should take a look at a lot of things. I haven' t see the new scenery ,cause my PC is way to slow for it,but the TerraSync is ...well let's call it weird. It works,I mean it downloads a lot of stuff and it's doing it quite fast but...where all the files are going? I had to dig through all the scenery folders but all of them were empty,even though the TerraSync was working. :) In case you ask tat,yes I did properly installed everything,including the TerraSync destination folder.

Cheers.
FGRS

Postby Kabuki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm

I'd like to give it a try, but the ftp server at http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Windows/ is either throttled or overloaded, and giving me 4+ hours estimated times, which means "nope".

Looking for a windows setup package, btw.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby FGRS » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 pm

Kabuki wrote in Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm:I'd like to give it a try, but the ftp server at http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Windows/ is either throttled or overloaded, and giving me 4+ hours estimated times, which means "nope".

Looking for a windows setup package, btw.

I was using the same. :o

But ,what I did was to refresh (read restart) download a few times before it worked,and at 936mb it just stopped. Aaand after some pausing /resuming it started again,so the whole DL time was about 2h and some minutes.

Regarding the FG 3,0 it self, like I said in my previous post..sadly..it's a complete disappointment,at least to me.

Cheers
FGRS

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 am

But I have to say that 3,0 ,even as a release candidate is a big,big disappointment. After a lot of talk about it,I really expected something more...but it's basically the FG 2, 12 but much heavier

That's a bit unspecific since we don't know your expectations before. Nor the 'lot of talk'.
Thorsten

Postby FGRS » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:38 am

All of my expectations are written in the post about FG 3,0 at the FG man web site. I was expecting that. Way to much things are not working properly in this new release ,so that's why I'm so disappointed. In the 2.12 release were the same problems.

Cheers.
FGRS

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:49 am

You mean you're not getting new scenery? You can't find the DR-400 on the repository, or the 707? You don't get a walker when you set the property? You're not getting regional textures of Corsica?

'things are not working properly' is not a bug report that will trigger any kind of action from developer side. I mean, it's your choice, it works for me, if you don't want to share details that's fine with me.
Thorsten

Postby Müller » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:39 pm

FGRS wrote in Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:54 pm:It worked eventually. :) but thanks anyway.

.but it's basically the FG 2, 12 but much heavier. I really do hope that the master release will be better. Some problems are still there,like this "incomplete language source" message that appears on start-up and stays there till the launch of the FG screen,window or how ever you call it,along with some strange grey squares for view names,and similar stuff.

Same problems were on the 2,12.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration? I don't see you talk nothing good of 3.0
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby Spencer61 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 pm

After afew hiccups - probably down to my inexperience with the program - I have v3.0 rc-1 on my windows vista machine and running, with terrasync enabled. To be honest, I can't see any difference between this and version 2.12.1. Motorways still appear as strips of plain grey and there appears to be a coastline running up the centre of the UK. It wasn't there last time I looked! All this could be because I haven't got everything properly configured, but as a new user, I can't find an idiot's guide to doing this. Most instructions seem to require a certain degree of computer "savviness". I'm gradually getting to find my way around, but, at my age, it's a slow process.
If there's a way to get the scenery looking like it does in the preview shots, I'd be very pleased to hear about it!

John,
UK, Windows Vista, SP2, dual-core Itel 2.2Ghz processor, 2Gb RAM, Saitek Pro yoke and throttle quadrant.
Spencer61

Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:16 pm

If there's a way to get the scenery looking like it does in the preview shots, I'd be very pleased to hear about it!

The screenshots shown on the FG project website are all made with procedural texturing of Atmospheric Light Scattering on highest quality, using the latest regional texture definitions. Grand Canyon in particular uses a high dust setting selected in the Environment menu. The stark contrasts between light and shadow which make the picture appealing appear in low light and relatively clear skies (here using a Fair Weather scenario from Advanced Weather), in more cloudy conditions light gets more diffuse and they go away.

Bring a good graphics card.

I can't vouch for the whole world - the scenery is bound to have errors here and there, and usually I fly only where there's regional texturing (or more correctly, if I want to fly in an area, I create the regional texturing definitions before I take off).

So there's bound to be places where it looks less spectacular.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 pm

@Thorsten: I would add the first paragraph of your response to any of your articles/screen shot compilation, or even just add a new article to the wiki detailing the most relevant settings, I can help with adding screen shots showing the various GUI settings - so that things are better reproducible for people new to FG.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to 3.0