Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Using Terragear on VirtualBox (It was I'd like to stop...)

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Using Terragear on VirtualBox (It was I'd like to stop...)

Postby rockaffe » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:13 am

I'm sorry if I can seem rude, but I've just wasted 16 hours to install terragear.
Why wasted?
Because if you search "how to make an airport" on the wiki, the answer says: "you need world editor and terragear". It sounds so easy... and it is for world editor. Download, install and have fun!
Then you want to test your work but... but you have to waste time because terragear is like a lottery. Maybe you can find the right files, maybe you can find the right dependences but... you have to figure out: where install the files, where to search for every error you get, where to find the latest files to download.
I try to ask once again: it's possible to have a procedure to install and use Terragear on a Mac? Elsewhere just say no and I'll stop to waste my time trying to be useful.
Thank you.
Last edited by rockaffe on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working on LIRP ========> 40% ===================>100%
rockaffe

Version: 2020.3.11

Re: I'd like to stop wasting 16 hours per day...

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:18 am

I try to ask once again: it's possible to have a procedure to install and use Terragear on a Mac? Elsewhere just say no and I'll stop to waste my time trying to be useful.

don't worry, you are not alone - it's been called "TerrorGear" for over a decade - for a reason, it does involve a steep learning curve, originally it wasn't intended to be used by end-users, which explains why it is designed the way it is - but there are so many other ways to get involved, so don't give up on FG (or "being useful") just because TG seems so difficult to get working.
Overall, TG development is in good hands meanwhile, psadro_gm and papillon81 have been working hard to improve it - but obviously, it hasn't been maintained for quite a while prior to that, so it's only normal that there are still some "glitches".
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby rockaffe » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:30 am

Well again, I'm sorry for my attitude in my first post but I've started today at 2 pm and I'm still here (in Italy it's now 3:30 am) and I've done NOTHING :( I hope someone can give me a help tomorrow.
rockaffe

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:40 am

obviously, the people most likely to be able to help with this, are also the ones you are indirectly criticizing by posting stuff like this. I cannot help with TG stuff, but if I were involved in its development, I also wouldn't be too happy about such postings, no matter how true the message may still be ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby f-ojac » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:15 am

We're planning to try to develop a web interface so people can test their project without installing TG.
However, remember this is an opensource project, we're not aiming to be perfect, and TG just went into a major overhaul.
Moreover, there are too few devs using Mac. What abiut trying to get a GNU/Linux virtual machine up and running?
There we have feedback and even scripts to make it work fine.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:28 pm

f-ojac wrote in Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:15 am:We're planning to try to develop a web interface so people can test their project without installing TG.

That sounds good, we've had several discussions ideas and related to this over the years - and I agree, that something like this should be based on a Linux VM - ideally using a distro like TurnkeyLinux, so that the setup can be easily replicated. For a summary of previous discussions, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraGear_sc ... ild_server
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby rockaffe » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:00 am

Hi f-ojac thanks for your reply, I'm now installing ubuntu on a VM and I'll try again to install TG :)
Anyway it wasn't my intention to criticize nobody with my post, I think you guys have made a wonderful work with this project. As I said yesterday my bad attitude was due to 16 hours spent searching over and over files, dipendences etc... :)
rockaffe

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:03 am

we've all been there, it's called frustration - kudos for not giving up!

BTW: psadro_gm also mentioned several times that he's hoping to eventually refactor the TG code and turn it into QGIS/GRASS plugins, if the TG devs manage to pull that off eventually, we would suddenly have an extremely powerful GUI tool with TerraGear support - so it's not that people are no aware of such usability issues, it's just that it takes time and manpower to implement ideas like a TG build server or TerraGear plugins. Obviously, a great feature would be a distributed TerraGear build server farm analogous to distcc, remote-controlled via QGIS or GRASS plugins (and I would volunteer to host such a build server) :D
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby f-ojac » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:04 am

rockaffe wrote in Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:00 am:Hi f-ojac thanks for your reply, I'm now installing ubuntu on a VM and I'll try again to install TG :)

Using http://clemaez.dyndns.org/download_and_compile_tg.sh will help you a lot in doing that (for Debian based distros, which I'd recommend).
f-ojac

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 am

If you use TurnkeyLinux (it's debian based), it will allow you to remaster your setup, i.e. preconfigure everything and then turn it again into an ISO file (or even virtual appliance), so that you can share your setup with other users who then only need to download your file and can directly use your setup, WTG :-)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby rockaffe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:22 am

And after 10 more hours (but this time I'm happy, I swear!) finally terragear and terragearGUI are workin on virtualbox with debian. I've tried the gui and it seems to only have a problem with the generate scenery feature. I've only one more question: in World Editor can I put in the airport things like lights, signal and so on?
rockaffe

Postby f-ojac » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:38 am

Yes, you can do that in wed.
f-ojac

Postby rockaffe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:03 pm

The party is over! :D
TG had worked once, then after open it again today, I always get this error in the log file:

/home/cristian/install/terragear/bin/hgtchop: error while loading shared libraries: libCGAL Core.so.10: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

Libraries are being installed by the download and compile script, it seems like they've moved O.o
rockaffe

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:02 pm

if those libs were not installed system-wide, you need to preset LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly, or modify /etc/ld.so.config and add the folder with those libs. I suggest to check back with the docs of the d&c script
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Re: Using Terragear on VirtualBox (It was I'd like to stop..

Postby rockaffe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:14 pm

For those who could need help in the future, I solved this way:

Create a file called /etc/ld.so.conf.d/myapp.conf:

Code: Select all
# vi /etc/ld.so.conf.d/myapp.conf

Add the path where CGAL libraries were installed.

Activate path with:

Code: Select all
 # ldconfig
rockaffe

Next

Return to Scenery