Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

Blank white popup window

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

Blank white popup window

Postby alexalbq » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi, I installed FG 2.12.1, I use Windows 7. I found following problem: The small popup message window, that indicates nearest airport, or to composse a new message, and so on, appears always as a white blank window. How can I solve this problem?
alexalbq

Version: FG 2.12.1

Re: Blank white popup window

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:08 pm

please post your hardware specs as per the box at the top of the forum.
It seems that you are lacking some OpenGL support that is required by the new canvas system.
This has been recently reported at least once: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=20887&hilit=canvas+fbo
So please follow up with your exact hardware/software specs, including info from the HELP/ABOUT dialog.
And if you are affected by this, please consider filing a bug report so that we can look into it: http://flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby alexalbq » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi, tks for your reply. Informations about my PC: Windows 7, 32 bits, 4 GB RAM, Iintel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300@2,50 GHz, Intel 633/631 Express Clipset Family. I use generic mouse.
Additional problem: I'm unable to composse chat messages, popup window appears also as blank white screen.
My problem seems to be identical to the one reported at http: //flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/

See screenshots:

Image Image Image

Best regards, alexalbq
alexalbq

Version: FG 2.12.1

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:45 pm

could the people getting "white canvases" please get in touch to test a patch ?
Basically, the idea is to check if FBO setup failed and try some more conservative alternatives like pbuffers or ARBs instead.
We can use PIXEL_BUFFER_RTT or PIXEL_BUFFER instead of FRAME_BUFFER_OBJECT: http://lists.openscenegraph.org/piperma ... 04790.html

Given that we're going to use Canvas in more and more placed, including the GUI, it would seem like a good idea to get this sorted obviously.
On the other hand, it is hard to troubleshoot this without being affected by the problem yourself :-)

it's not a new problem: http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear- ... 20103.html
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:37 am

I ended up getting my hands on an old Intel graphics netbook, and while FG obviously doesn't work very well, some of the osg RTT demos actually DO work correctly. Besides, osgviewer itself, and even fgviewer, work well enough, with acceptable framerates/performance - so it would seem possible to optimize things a bit to also support such hardware.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Canvas