Board index FlightGear Support Flying Helicopter

Yaw with a 4-rotor machine  Topic is solved

Helicopter flying is completely different from flying a fixed-wing aircraft and thus requires different skills.

Yaw with a 4-rotor machine

Postby macnab » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 am

Helping out a friend. If you have rotors at the 4 corners of the aircraft, with individual throttles, pitch and roll is one thing. But how would you control yaw?
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Re: Yaw with a 4-rotor machine  

Postby Keith_Beef » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:15 pm

According to the Wikipedia article on Quadcopters:

"Yaw is induced by mismatching the balance in aerodynamic torques (i.e., by offsetting the cumulative thrust commands between the counter-rotating blade pairs)."

For pilot input, I suppose you would keep the familiar rudder pedal or jostick twist. But how to translate the control on the stick into changes in motor speed and blade angle is a different matter.
Keith_Beef

Version: 2.4.0

Postby macnab » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks. Never thought of looking for an article in the wiki.

The aircraft works with a throttle per engine. The secret is to read the elevator, rudder and aileron values, and then use nasal to adjust the throttle settings for the engines. Will take quite a bit of experimentation. Or you need 4 very nimble thumbs, seeing as the guy is using a USB R/C controller.
macnab

Postby Alant » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:31 pm

There is a quadrotor jsbsim model at https://github.com/arktools/arkhangar/t ... arducopter
More details in the thesis at http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/che ... dupilotone.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby macnab » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks. The guy I am helping is using the arducopter! Fortunately he knows how to edit files and write xml code. He just didn't realise that the model's FDM doesn't respond to flight-surface control - you need to write your own code to control the 4 engines to get it to do what you want.

If I point him in the right direction he will mostly get it right himself. Communication with him is a bit haphazzard, though - the PC with FG on it is in some lab (school/college/?).
macnab

Return to Helicopter