Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

Phototexturing using osgEarth

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Phototexturing using osgEarth

Postby mike4 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi
any tutorial on how to use photoscenery in 2.99?
http://www.flightgear.org/info/a-preview-of-features-for-flightgear-3-0/
Thanks
Swiss (non GPL) airports:
http://fgfs.sgier.com/
mike4

Version: GIT

Re: Phototexturing using osgEarth

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm

see the thread linked to in the newsletter, it's all carefully explained there: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21351&hilit=osgearth

Feel free to copy/paste things in order to turn it into a proper tutorial for the wiki, but it is pretty straightforward actually - especially in comparison to Terror/Gear/Sync :D
I have been lacking the patience to look again into TG/TS for years, but this took just a few minor tweaks (in the beginning) to make it work, and the results were simply breathtaking - this could be a great solution for all the places for which we don't have any developed scenery. Obviously, you need the corresponding horsepower (GPU, CPU and RAM), but also bandwidth/space - or it won't be very enjoyable.
However, we've been talking about an offline mode where osgEarth would precache required data for a certain flight, i.e. based on the route manager or the replay/flight recorder subsystem - that would then make it possible to create and populate the cache in advance, i.e. useful for bandwidth-limited scenarios like FSWeekend/LinuxTag.
Last edited by Hooray on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ludomotico » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Do not use the repositories in the first post, they are for FlightGear 2.12. The port to the 2.99 version is in the last messages of the thread.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm

and there are the known limitations of photo-texturing in general obviously, i.e. it's certainly not a replacement for the default scenery, especially not for low-altitude flying.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby f-ojac » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:29 am

I don't think that TerraSync is such a terror, especially with a 2.99... It eases users life so much, no targz to download all the time, and always uptodate terrain and objects.
Terragear toolchain is something else, not very much needed by the end user, and which got much simplified thanks to tg GUI.
f-ojac

Postby mike4 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:52 am

hmm towards the end of:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21351&hilit=osgearth&start=45

michael@michael-Ubuntu:~/fosg$ git clone -v -b 2.99-OsgEarthIntegration git@gitorious.org:fg/simgear-osgearth.git simgear
Cloning into 'simgear'...
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

By the way is 850 airport format in 2.99?
Thanks
mike4

Postby f-ojac » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 pm

mike4 wrote in Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:52 am:By the way is 850 airport format in 2.99?

FG has been showing 850 support for a few versions now.
However, if you're talking about the worldwide 850 scenery, it was release more than one month ago, and you don't have to use 2.99 to enjoy it.
BTW, to make sure, 2.99 is the version number for the current development version, the next version will be 3.0, not 2.99.
f-ojac

Postby ajm » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:53 pm

mike4 wrote in Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:52 am:michael@michael-Ubuntu:~/fosg$ git clone -v -b 2.99-OsgEarthIntegration git@gitorious.org:fg/simgear-osgearth.git simgear
Cloning into 'simgear'...
Permission denied (publickey).

I'm no git expert but I think if you omit the "git@gitorious.org:" and substitute a path like git://gitorious.org/ instead you should have more success
ajm

Postby mike4 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Thanks, yes 850 so I'll convert the swiss scenery now.

I figured to download that and simply put into/overwrote the scripted download, compiled but still no
photoscenery. Anyone could tell me how to install that in Ubuntu?
Thanks
mike4

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 pm

f-ojac wrote in Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:29 am:I don't think that TerraSync is such a terror, especially with a 2.99... It eases users life so much, no targz to download all the time, and always uptodate terrain and objects.
Terragear toolchain is something else, not very much needed by the end user, and which got much simplified thanks to tg GUI.

like I said, I haven't looked at in quite a while, last time I used TerraSync it was still using rsync, not SVN, IIRC - and I also didn't coin the term "TerrorGear" - I definitely appreciate the results the tool chain is giving us, but obviously many people find it intimidating - so this was just to say, there's no learning curve involved whatsoever in osgEarth, it just works out of the box - but it is up to you, the user, to decide if they can deal with the limitations coming with photo-textured scenery. But like I said, it definitely is a good solution for 90% of those cases where we don't have custom scenery available, and when people are flying at >= 3000 ft AGL, otherwise limitations get too obvious quickly.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:30 am

mike4 wrote in Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 pm:Hi
any tutorial on how to use photoscenery in 2.99?
http://www.flightgear.org/info/a-preview-of-features-for-flightgear-3-0/
Thanks

I forgot about this: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_Fli ... ntegration
I started working on this at a time when I thought it would be more difficult, but after poweroftwo applied the CMakeLists.txt changes, it was pretty straightforward.
Anyway, you could use those instructions to fix up the d&c script or the CMake superbuild files to build osgEarth support.
According to the devel list, people are also looking for a way to teach Jenkins (the build server) how to build with osgEarth support.

Feel free to contribute to the wiki article if you think there's any need for more docs, but please also look at poweroftwo's instructions FIRST.

(the wiki article still needs updating for 2.99, so keep that in mind)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Re: Flightgear 2.12 with osgEarth (Screenshots)

Postby mike4 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:41 am

Stunning, love it, many thanks. Haven't figured integration in 2.99 on Ubuntu yet, any help?
mike4

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:22 am

mike4 wrote in Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:41 am:Stunning, love it, many thanks. Haven't figured integration in 2.99 on Ubuntu yet, any help?

Why do you keep cross-posting like this and asking for help (different threads, forums, devel list) even though you've been given good advice already ?

If you need additional help beyond what's been offered so far, you should at least explain exactly what you have tried already, and tell us where things stopped working for you.

Just asking around for people to come up with tutorials for you isn't going to help you if you are not able to follow even the most basic instructions, no matter if you find new places/people to ask.

Honestly, it is plain disrespectful to behave like that, while completely ignoring the amount of documentation created by poweroftwo right from the beginning, and the discussions we've had here a few weeks ago, let alone the cmake improvements and the wiki article we've created to get people started - just posting over and over again: "I need help" isn't going to suffice - yes, there are people around here who can help, and who are willing to help, but we are not going to spoon-feed you, you really need to make a conscious effort here, or we won't give a **** (no need, to get yet another forum account/nick name now though).
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby mike4 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 am

Never mind figured that it's not that hard as it looks at first glance. Thanks. Compiling osgearth and converting my scenery simultaneously...hence enough time for a coffee.
mike4

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:00 pm

right, never ask before doing some basic research first, and even more important: trying :-)
Last edited by Hooray on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Next

Return to osgEarth