Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

FlightGear World Scenery 2.0 released

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: FlightGear World Scenery 2.0 released

Postby ludomotico » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Müller wrote in Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:57 pm: roads within rivers, rough terrain or lack or excess

If you see an excess of terrain... pull up!

Just kidding, just kidding. Some pictures of these errors would be very useful. For example, check that you really have roads on rivers, and not "rivers on rivers". i.e., a small water stream inside a larger water surface. Check also if bridges are correctly labeled in the area: http://www.openstreetmap.org

ICAO airports had many repeated, only from an airport with the name of a farm had repeated 8

This is a limitation (actually, it is a bug) of current fgrun: if it finds an airport in the scenery but not in the apt.dat, it repeats the name of the last airport. This means that the scenery includes more airports than the internal FlightGear database! You can update the database manually (my choice), wait for an update of FlightGear, or try to fix fgrun.

To update the database, download the last data from X-Plane (version 9, if I recall correctly) and substitute FGDATA/Airport/apt.dat with earth_apt.dat from X-Plane. You can also update nav.dat and fix.dat. Remember compressing these files using GZip format!
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Müller » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Ludomotico,
I'll look closer this weekend and will describe my problems and post the pictures.

"If you see an excess of terrain ... pull up!" ... PS. a large number of roads within rivers, sorry

was now looking for this Joinville, this is the current situation in the new scenario (http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/modelview.php?id=3552)
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby f-ojac » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Roads on rivers, lakes, sea, etc, this was already explained a few times: we chose to use accurate data for roads (ie: OSM), over a less accurate terrain (ie: VMAP).
Result : a lake, or a river, badly defined in VMAP0, has a river going onto it, for instance here: http://mapserver.flightgear.org/map/?lo ... FTFFFFFFFF . Moreover, we are facing a problem to properly clip roads on sea (which, in real life, is quite a common challenge ;-) Note that this also exist (even if it's a bit less common) which CLC,
So the best would be:
- to re-read the known bugs on the wiki and see if all the ones your are annoncing are listed in it or not;
- if not, see if they are really scenery related or other part of FG related (FGRun, etc.), in case you don't know, just ask;
- publish screenshots of the bugs you noticed which are not known.
I already asked if it was possible to release the intermediate version of FG with a new apt.dat and so, in it. Seems not. I'm using the new ones for a while now, seems to work fine and it's so much accurate.
Last edited by f-ojac on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby Müller » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:44 pm

I appreciate your explanation ... ... well, I believe it will be a long time until I can return to this topic, considering my short time available to view and review so much, but as soon as it's possible to come back to the subject, to make a Flightgear better every day. :wink:
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby sa7k » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 pm

f-ojac wrote in Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:42 am:The whole new scenery is now pushed on Terrasync.

And it started to upload again. Is this for bugfixes like the glacier landcover?
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby f-ojac » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:55 am

Yep, in fact Martin managed to build a new terrain with glacier + ice landcovers, stopped the upload, processed with the new terrain, but we were still missing the first tiles (e000, e010...) which were already pushed at that time. So this bug is soon to considered as fixed.
Last edited by f-ojac on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f-ojac

Postby Johan G » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:47 pm

That's great! :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby sa7k » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Ah, ok. Awesome!
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k

Postby F-JYL » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Thank you very much all the team for this great work, it is a big step to have such a nice scenery.
Here are some screen shots : http://www.flickr.com/photos/101014372@ ... 059207454/
F-JYL

Callsign: F-JYL

Postby macnab » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:15 am

Durban Harbour, South Africa.
I understand the problem between OSM and VMAP, but isn't this a particularly larger error, all those railway lines in the middle of the harbour?
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Postby ludomotico » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 am

macnab wrote in Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:15 am:I understand the problem between OSM and VMAP, but isn't this a particularly larger error, all those railway lines in the middle of the harbour?

No, it is not a particularly large error. The railways may make the error more evident, but this displacement is typical for the VMAP coastline. This is because VMAP uses old and low resolution data. You will find similar errors everywhere but Europe.

This is why using osm_coastline instead of v0_landmass in the next scenery iteration could be a step forward nearly as impressive as the last one, at least by the coast.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby macnab » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:44 am

OK
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Postby chrisb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:27 pm

I see a similar thing but its not train lines running through the harbor its the bay in the suburbs. I's a pretty huge obvious mistake to with the sea where land should be.
I only noticed it recently on a short flight from YLIL to YMMB
Also flying west from YSCN to the gorges there are some odd looking sheer cliff faces
chrisb

Callsign: cnb123

Postby chris_blues » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Here we can see some airport, near KSFO. KSFO can be seen in the top left corner of the pic, the plane has a heading of 250, and it looks like going from the RWY10 in a straight line above the mountains should lead you there...

Edit:
The reason I was heading into the pacific ocean was a little research about newly introduced memory-issues. My 4GB RAM need about 10min of flight to fill up completely (with a jet), which ends in a resource-wasting orgy of swapping and reswapping and so on, after 20mins my FG is completely unusable. So I tried what happens if there's no terrain to load. So, spawning at KSFO and flying straight to the open sea stopped my FG eating RAM! Which proves, that it's the new scenery massively eating my RAM! Damn, it looks so nice! But it seems, that there is still that old issue, that FG doesn't unload "unloaded" scenery! The more you fly, the more RAM will be used, though I'd very much prefer scenery being unloaded of the sim, to get unloaded from RAM as well... But this is another topic, which hasn't been nailed down yet...

Another one is, flying the 707 in cruise Altitude, my machine doesn't load the necessary scenery fast enough, the plane is faster! After a while the scenery appears behind the plane! :mrgreen: Only slowing down for approach makes FG catch up again, when I reach FL100 I have land before me!
Seems my good ole box has been greatly overcome by latest developments... (I wonder how the low end users cope with these kinds of requirements, I don't consider my box low-end! It's not the newest hardware, but has till now always done the job fairly speedy...)
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues

Postby islandmonkey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:05 pm

This appears to be another issue with the Scenery 2.0 edition at TNCM.
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

PreviousNext

Return to News