Board index FlightGear Development New features

Realistic Hose-Drogue Based Aerial Refueling

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Realistic Hose-Drogue Based Aerial Refueling

Postby Farrukh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi everybody,
I just want to declare on this Flightgear forum that i have been able to implement realistic hose-drogue based aerial refueling scenario with the pilot engaging, disengaging and colliding the drogue with his own aircraft probe. This has been done after untiring efforts and extensive study for the last 8 months and nonetheless, help from my colleagues. Although i have written the whole Nasal script for the calculations purpose, for engagement/disengagement algorithms, yet I have made so many changes in the source code of the Flightgear to support the Nasal code for this scenario. The reason to write this all here to just discuss how can i make this public with my name so that others may take benefit from my efforts. and this may be implemented in the future versions of Flightgear by default, if there is not involved any type of violation as i don't know about it yet.
Regards...
Farrukh

Re: Realistic Hose-Drogue Based Aerial Refueling

Postby hvengel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:15 pm

FlightGear is GPL and that means that you can modify it anyway you want. In addition you can make those modification available to others as long as the modifications are also available to the FlightGear project and are also licensed as GPL.

I would suggest that you join the FG development mailing list and work with the development community to get your changes merged in the FG repository, I am sure that you will find all of the help you need there to get this done.
hvengel
Retired

Postby ajm » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:40 pm

This is an area that I know interests quite a few FlightGear users and air-air refuelling is a challenging and fun manoeuvre to try. Does your work also include properly animating the movement of the hose and drogue? I'd love to see it in action...
ajm

Postby Philosopher » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:36 pm

The best way to submit code is to use gitorious.org, which is were the main FG code is hosted. Set up an account, clone the repositories, push your changes, and request a merge :).

Additionally, you could use either the mailing list or bug tracker to submit a patch, if you have/can make a patch.
Philosopher

Postby Johan G » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Is these the things you talked about this earlier topic: Making drogue slave to probe after contact in AAR?

I'm one of those that would definitively like to see this coming. The current hose and drogue system, with an inflexible "hose" is not all that exiting (though still being an effort)

One of my many futile attempts:
Missed it, barely by Johan G, on Flickr

What is interesting about the hose and drogue system is that the Soviet union and Warsaw pact countries designed their aircraft to be interoperable with NATO refuelling in order to reuse existing infrastructure after running over the Western Europe (thankfully there was no such war), and that included their air to air refuelling (AAR). In fact, looking at their probes they are identical, and I have even seen images of AAR with mixed origin of aircraft.

For some technical facts that you might already have (links to relevant mil-specs, drawings and the non-classified NATO AAR handbook etc), have a look at one of my earlier posts over here: Re: 707-xx pics.

Speaking about aircraft flying in delicate close formation, this topic might be interesting, though off topic: mp-patch introduction, development

Any thoughts of failure modes, like pushing the hose till the coupling fails as in this two YouTube clip: Jet Refueling went wrong (1 min)?
Last edited by Johan G on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:51 pm

yes, please make the changes available via gitorious - ideally, via cloned repositories of SG/FG and FGData - if you don't know how to file a merge request, see the wiki for details.
If possible, please rebase your changes against origin/next (SG/FG) or master (fgdata) respectively.
A request for review can be posted via the issue tracker.

Note that the code freeze for 3.0 is due in ~3 weeks.
For a review, you could also get in touch with Stuart, who should be aware of your effort: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20028
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Farrukh » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks for motivation from all of u...i am very happy to read the replies.
yes, it is with an inflexible hose till now, and just for information this is the last thing i am working on to improve. I am trying to add realism in hose movement. I would join Flightgear mailing list to get my changes registered in the future version of Flightgear. As soon as i release my code to repository, i would disseminate each and every information about my code. I would also tel how to modify it according to one's own refueler and receiver aircraft.
kindly i want to know how can i join the Flightgear Development Community Mailing List?
Regards...
Last edited by Farrukh on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farrukh

Postby f-ojac » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:25 pm

f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby Gijs » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:50 pm

Or, for some more instructions: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Mailing_list
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS