Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

FlightGear World Scenery 2.0 released

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: FlightGear World Scenery 2.0 released

Postby I-NEMO » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:28 am

Hallo,

first of all a big thank you to all the guys who take care of the new Scenery: it looks very good, and I'm aware they've made a tremendous job!...a big step forward towards better realism for FG.

I've flown a bit to have a look around, using Terrasync: I have noticed some 'cracks' in the tiles as you may see from the screenshots:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Its' a minor issue, really, and I dont' know if it's a problem on some tiles, or a fault of mine in properly configuring the whole new stuff.
Basically, I completely removed the whole scenery files and let Terrasync do its job.
I noticed those 'cracks' mostly over Switzerland, flying from LIME to Switzerland, immediately after the higher Alps (West-South-West of LSMM, if I'm not wrong; Long and Lat data on the GPS dialog may give an idea of the location).
Also noticed them, even if on a smaller scale, flying over Norway.
If I'm missing something, could you please help me in fixing this?

I'm on FG 2.12 first release, Windows 7, 32 Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 650TI, latest GPU Driver update; the shots were made with Rembrandt on.

Thank you very much again: great job!

Regards,

I-NEMO
I-NEMO

Callsign: I-NEMO
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby hvengel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 am

Some observations based on a few hours of use. So far I have only looked at w130n30 around KSFO and w120n30 around Lake Tahoe/Carson City/Gardnerville. So these observations may only apply to those areas.

There are clearly some significant improvements here. The airport layouts (run ways, taxi ways and so on) are a big improvement and look much better. From the air these look very realistic and detailed. Since I have not spent any time taxing around any airport I can't comment on what this looks like when on the ground but I would expect that the ground view is also an improvement. The new OSM based roads that are now there is also a big improvement. The terrain does appear to be over all more accurately modeled and roads do appear to be correctly placed on the terrain. Again this is a big improvement.

As the folks who are working on this have pointed out this scenery release is far from perfect being a work in progress. It would probably be better to call this a Beta or perhaps even an Alpha release to better set expectations. There are many issues that still remain from the old scenery and it appears to me that the new scenery introduces some new issues.

Shore lines and rivers are still composed of mostly of straight lines and sharp angular "curves" and at least in the places where I have been I did not see much in the way of an improvement over the old scenery in this regard. I was surprised by this since one set of screen shots posted a few weeks ago shows how much better the new terrain is in this regard in another location. So perhaps this is only an issue in certain locations.

There are some existing issues that are more obvious because now there are roads that didn't exist before that now run out into the water. Since roads appear to be correctly placed this is an indication that the shore lines are still not correct. It does appear that the new shore lines have a different shape around KSFO than the old version as some objects that were on land before are now in the water.

Some specific examples of the worst issues I am seeing that appear to be new.

The Moss Landing airport (on the coast a little bit south of KSFO) is partly submerged into the water and the airport's north end is elevated above the terrain around it. There is an area on the coast just to the north of the Moss Landing airport that is above sea level if you are up above 1000ft but is covered in water is you are on the deck. When flying over this you can see trees sticking up out of the water so the code that is placing random trees thinks this is above sea level. The old scenery didn't have either of these problems. Also if you fly over this at just the right altitude you can see this area switching back and forth between being water and land.

When following US Highway 50 from South Lake Tahoe up the east side of the lake the highway is sometimes in the water again indicating that the shore line is incorrect.

In areas where there are random buildings these are not placed along the new OSM roads and there are places where I am seeing large multistory office building being placed right in the middle of a freeway interchange and other clearly incorrect locations. I guess that this is why they are called random buildings but with the new roads these need to be less random. The urban shader along with the random buildings also obscures many of the OSM based roads that run through these areas which reduces the effect of these roads.

Some issues are clearly carry overs from the old scenery. For example in both the old and new scenery the capital of Nevada, Carson City, will appear to be about 4 or 5 houses in the middle of nowhere when is should look like a city of about 60,000 surrounded by other bedroom communities. One of those bedroom communities, Minden/Gardnerville, about 10 miles to the south of Carson City, has large multistory office buildings in FG when this should be mostly single family homes with some smaller businesses along the highway 395 corridor. Minden/Gardnerville has about 1/5 the population of Carson City but in FG appears to be about 100X as big.

I also did a quick run up to Stead AFB (were the Reno AIr Races are held) from the Minden airport (KMEV) just to have a look around. Downtown Reno looks OK but the suburban areas around it are completely empty. So there are all kinds of streets and freeway interchanges that go into empty areas. This does not look right and needs to be corrected somehow. Hopefully in a way that corrects this problem (nearly) everywhere. Also (just kidding now) where are the pylons around Stead? It would be nice to take a run around the race circuit (serious now).

The new scenery is definitely a step in the right direction and overall it is a step up from the prior version. But there is also a lot of work that remains to be done. It is worth the effort to get the scenery where you normally fly but I don't think I would down load all 7 torrents unless there is a major driver for doing this. This release provides a foundation for future improvements and I expect these improvements to come at a significantly faster pace now. So it is highly likely that we will be seeing significant improvements over the next few months that will necessitate replacing this scenery.
hvengel
Retired

Postby I-NEMO » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:46 am

Hallo,

I concur with hvengel: coastlines (I've flown over Norway's western fjords, and the 'white cliffs of Dover') are still to be perfectioned, being very 'angled/cornered' and not smooth. But they are much better than before.

It's anyway a very, very good step forward: let's give the Scenery's team time to work properly.

I- NEMO
I-NEMO

Callsign: I-NEMO
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby f-ojac » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:12 am

I-NEMO wrote in Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:28 am:I've flown a bit to have a look around, using Terrasync: I have noticed some 'cracks' in the tiles as you may see from the screenshots:

Noted. It's due to the lack of the "glacier" landclass, which explains you see it at high altitudes. Noticed around LOWI and Switzerland.
I-NEMO wrote:coastlines (I've flown over Norway's western fjords, and the 'white cliffs of Dover') are still to be perfectioned, being very 'angled/cornered' and not smooth. But they are much better than before.
We only rely on the definition of the open source data we can now gather. On the coastlines, I noticed the sea is sometimes "climbing" over the cliffs. That's a bug.
hvengel wrote:Shore lines and rivers are still composed of mostly of straight lines and sharp angular "curves" and at least in the places where I have been I did not see much in the way of an improvement over the old scenery in this regard. I was surprised by this since one set of screen shots posted a few weeks ago shows how much better the new terrain is in this regard in another location. So perhaps this is only an issue in certain locations.

No, there has been no improvement in that part of the world, because we still rely, for now, on VMAP0 data, as said in the announcement. The screenshots shown maybe were in Europe, where CLC is much more precise for that.
hvengel wrote: there are roads that didn't exist before that now run out into the water
Known. The roads are badly clipped into the water (note that this is because VMAP0 has a poor precision quality).
The issue concerning trees or building on OSM data is known, but is not stricly related to the terrain. I think Stuart is aware of it. That's mostly because we didn't have "twin" roads or rounadbouts before.
The rest of your comments are related to the poor definition of VMAP0, and there have been no enhancement on this. A solution could be to migrate to another source, like OSM, but be prepared to get a new dedicated hard drive. Personaly, I won't be downloading all the new terrain because I don't have much occasion to fly our 22000+ airports.
The terrain you see is a good playground, and if we - well - a very few of us - have room for progress, the bugs reported were not showstopppers. And yes, the toolchain now being robust (remember, that's the reason why you hadn't see terrain for the last 5+ years) the pace can and surely will be accelerated.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby f-ojac » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Created another thread to follow and summarize bug, limitations and feature enhancement. It'll be easier to follow up. Please read viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21294 if you think you found another bug.
I suggest to maintain this thread for thanks and others...
f-ojac

Postby Müller » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:39 pm

hvengel wrote in Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:15 pm:Doing a rough estimate it looks like it will take another month for everything to be available and perhaps three weeks for the US west coast to be available. I guess that everyone including myself was a little too optimistic.

As this estimate will take a month to get my City-Airport-, or 25 GB of download Scenery2.0-Part01, Part02-Scenery2.0 two ways to get the new scenario, or wait about a month or 25GB download :?
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby f-ojac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 pm

What's your local airport ICAO code?
f-ojac

Postby Müller » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:27 pm

f-ojac wrote in Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 pm:What's your local airport ICAO code?

is SBPA
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby f-ojac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Download it at http://goo.gl/ugmLLy
f-ojac

Postby Müller » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks for the link, and congratulations for the excellent work, now I could see the work that was done, very well done, this is splendid. :D
Müller

Postby sa7k » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Sorry f-ojac, I had to do it too XD
That zone had my province too. Thanks.
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby mr_no » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Thank you very much. Great work! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Postby Owen7037 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:28 am

Hi everyone! Please be gentle, this is my first post... :)

I'm posting this under scenery, as I have a question regarding same. I recently downloaded scenery for my home area, and I'm much enjoying it. Planning on ordering the entire set at some point in the near future as well, but for now I just used the download map. (Not sure if I've got the latest or not, I downloaded them from the map about 6 weeks ago....)

I noticed something a little off in my area, ( I believe the download section is either w120n30, or w120n40), my hometown airstrip is quite a ways out of position, it shows up in the middle of a bay of water instead of on land, next to the bay where it actually is.
Is there any chance of a correction? Or would it be corrected in World Scenery 2.0?
If it helps, I've got screenshots of the proper map position and where it actually was placed.

Thanks for all the great work!
Owen7037

Version: 1.9.0

Postby Johan G » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:55 am

Welcome! :D

Owen7037 wrote in Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:28 am:...my hometown airstrip is quite a ways out of position, it shows up in the middle of a bay of water instead of on land, next to the bay where it actually is.

Could it be that the airstrip is where it should be, but that the coastline is not. :wink: Unfortunately the data for coastlines often are of less accuracy than many of the other data that is used when generating the scenery.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Owen7037 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:07 am

Allrighty then, that would make sense.....all in all, most of the scenery is very well done. That just happens to be my favourite practice strip!
It's also interesting because there are several large hangars and a few smaller buildings at this strip - which I'm assuming are now happily underwater... ;)
(...is that due to "random objects"?)
Thanks for the info!
Owen7037

Version: 1.9.0

PreviousNext

Return to News