Board index FlightGear Development New features

Java Mapping Utility

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Java Mapping Utility

Postby cnovak » Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi,

I've released a new version under http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmapview/files/jmapview/0.4/jMapView.zip/download. It fixes the southern hemisphere bug, allows to set the UDP port, change the color of the plane track & displays speed and bearing of the plane.

There are a couple of other changes / improvements under the hood as well. I'd like to thank flash666 from Sourceforge for making commits and getting me to work on this program. As always: any feedback, criticsm... is most welcome.

Best regards - Clemens
cnovak

Postby Hooray » Tue May 28, 2013 3:19 pm

feel free to add some news/screen shots about your projects to the upcoming newsletter (see my signature).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby cdbs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:09 pm

jMapView is not loading maps for me.

After setting the data path, it will display all the airports and nvaids, but these are displayed on a grey screen with a grid of what appears to be image place holders that look like clocks set to around 7:00.

TerraMaster works fine, so I know Java is working.

FalconView OpenSource will fetch and display OSM maps, so I know my computer is able to talk to the OSM servers.

Any advice?

Othere misc questions...is there a way to tell it to look at port 5500 on a specific IP instead of just localhost so I can run it on a different PC on my network like I do Atlas? Where does it cache the map data and can I change that location if I decide to manually download chunks of OSM data vs fetching it as I go?
cdbs

Postby cnovak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi,

there were some issues with setting the color of the flightpath which are (hopefully) solved now; the new version is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmapvie ... p/download

Regarding the issue with not loading maps - I didn't experience it; Openstreetmaps has some bandwidth throttle, limiting the download; in this case the map view component shows these clock symbols. Maybe you try to wait a bit.

Flightgear itself manages the communication settings. For example the command line below tells it to send the position packages to localhost:5500.

fgfs --fg-root=/usr/share/flightgear/data/ --aircraft=ufo --nmea=socket,out,20,localhost,5500,udp

If you add the IP or another computer, you should be able to start jMapView there (I never tried though).

Currently the program caches the map tiles in /cache below its main dir. I can add this as a setting in one of the next versions...
cnovak

Postby cdbs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info... I had let it sit overnight zoomed into an area less than 20 mi across and still had no maps in the morning. I will set it up on a different computer to see if it is just this machine that doesn't like it.

Sounds like the same FG settings that send NMEA data to my Atlas laptop will work to get the data to jmap (just didn't know if it was listening only on localhost or if "jmap PC IP":5500 would work). I'll test it out this evening and let you know what I find.
"There are terrible people, who instead of solving a problem, bungle it and
make it more difficult for all who come after. Whoever can't hit the nail
on the head should, please, not hit it at all."--Nietzche
cdbs

Postby cdbs » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:02 am

Working fine on my laptop now...I guess there is something about my main PC that the program doesn't like.

I unzipped it into a folder on My NAS and ran it directly from there on my laptop. Maps came up immediately.

I set FG to push NMEA data to the laptop IP port 5500 and it tracks fine. Instructions would be identical to those listed for running Atlas on a different PC than FG.

My next idea since that was working was trying it on my Mac with the nice big display. It opened fine (after OSX automatically installed Java) and loaded maps perfectly. Instead of sending the NMEA data to the Mac's IP, I decided to try broadcast (for me that is 192.168.100.255:5500). Jmap on the Mac started tracking fine so I opened Atlas on the laptop and it was tracking fine so now I can run both at the same time on different displays giving me the nice detail of OSM and the topographic view of Atlas.

I enjoy low level visual navigation, so both of these views together work great.

I do have one other complaint/question...on both the laptop and the Mac jMap does not seem to offer the ability to adjust where the split is between the map and the search/speed/bearing section. On the laptop the map covers only the top 2/3 of the screen. On the Mac with a 27" display, the map is 4" while the bottom section is 8".
"There are terrible people, who instead of solving a problem, bungle it and
make it more difficult for all who come after. Whoever can't hit the nail
on the head should, please, not hit it at all."--Nietzche
cdbs

Postby RHeitzman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:31 am

Can jMapView be installed on the same PC as FG?

I have it installed and it displays maps but the Follow Plane option is not working.

It could be that FG isn't sending position - how do I check/set sending position via port 5500 using the Wizard delivered with 2.12.1?
RHeitzman

Postby RHeitzman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:53 am

Figured it out, read the rest of the directions: http://wiki.flightgear.org/JMapView and set the Atlas settings to localhost 5500
RHeitzman

Postby macnab » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:27 am

Works just great under Win 7/64. Thanks.
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Postby macnab » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:37 am

A suggestion: In full-screen (maximised) mode, is it possible to make the bottom section as small as possible so we get more up/down view of the map?
macnab

Postby macnab » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:49 am

Searching for eham causes the app to hang. So far, other searches successful.
macnab

Postby Necolatis » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:18 am

Works perfectly, many thanks. :)
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19