Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

OSM buidings EHLE

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

OSM buidings EHLE

Postby radi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 pm

With the FSweekend upcoming, I thought maybe someone is interested in having Lelystad OSM buildings (the textures don't look very Dutch, though)? If so, let me know. The current attempt is still lacking actual elevation data, but zero seems to work reasonably well there :wink:

In case the official FG booth team is interested, I'm happy to re-create the buildings at lower density should the current setting cause jitter.

Also, is there any custom NL landcover?
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Re: OSM buidings EHLE

Postby f-ojac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:48 am

Excellent! I asked a part of the team to come over here this this post, I'm sure they'll definitely be interested ;-)
The landcover they'll be sitting in should be the next terrain version.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby zakalawe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 am

This looks great, but since we have shown the EHLE/EHAM area for the past several years at FSWeekend, we did think to highlight other areas this year - since we have so much other awesome scenery we can show. That said, having EHLE look better would always be welcome - does this approach provide objects that can be used with the standard Terrain, or is it separate scenery tiles? We won't be able to use it if it's custom terrain, but if it's simply additional objects we can just drop them in I think
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby radi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm happy to create buildings for any other area, as well -- provided there is OSM coverage, of course. With some more coding (perhaps tonight), the process could be fully automated, then merely requiring a bounding box. Let me know which area, and I'll see what I can do.

The buildings come in clusters of, say, 1000x1000m, one .ac + one .xml per cluster, plus the corresponding .stg snippets. So yes, it should be straightforward to use them with whatever terrain I use for elevation probing. And I can grab terrasync'd or any custom terrain, whichever you like.
radi

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:44 pm

the area around LOWI would be an obvious candidate, because it definitely belong to the most-developed airports we have so far.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby f-ojac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:30 pm

f-ojac

Postby f-ojac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:32 pm

radi wrote in Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:12 pm:The buildings come in clusters of, say, 1000x1000m, one .ac + one .xml per cluster, plus the corresponding .stg snippets. (...) And I can grab terrasync'd or any custom terrain, whichever you like.

We probably have to find a way to make this consistent with and shipped by Terrasync.
f-ojac

Postby radi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:23 pm

True, LOWI would make a nice showcase. I'll update the LOWI buildings anyway (added some features over the summer, most notably better sloped roof generation).

I could submit these to scenemodels. But:
1. the textures are somewhat heavy, and since they're shared anyway, I'd rather have them e.g. in $FG_SCENERY/Models/textures (?) than (repeatedly for every region) in $FG_SCENERY/Objects/e???n??/...
2. Having these shipped with terrasync will make LOWI a no-fly-zone for those who lack powerful hardware (both graphics and RAM)

I'm somewhat confused now:
We won't be able to use it if it's custom terrain

Does that exclude any custom terrain, even the 'standard' custom LOWI scenery http://wiki.flightgear.org/Innsbruck_Airport?
it'll perhaps be next-gen scenery

will that be available by terrasync by then?

Oh, BTW: I'll be attending FSweekend on Saturday, so should there be any problems installing, I can help.
radi

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:39 pm

I could submit these to scenemodels. But:
1. the textures are somewhat heavy..
2. Having these shipped with terrasync will make LOWI a no-fly-zone for those who lack powerful hardware (both graphics and RAM)

I suggest to get in touch with the FSWeekend folks, but assuming that Torsten is going to be there, too - I really wouldn't be too worried regarding "heavy textures", simply because he's using this "box":

Subject: LinuxTag 2011 (sneak preview)

Torsten wrote:Image
you know for sure - LinuxTag 2011 is just round the corner. For those of you who are still uncertain if it's worth the trip, here is a sneak preview of our eyecatcher we will showcase at our booth Our Thomas-Krenn-AG Server with 4xnvidia GTX460 and 1x9800GT driving currently 9 monitors (will be 10 at the show):
6x1920x1200 (outside view, 3xleft of the panel and 3xright of the panel)
2x1920x1080 (outside view, above
1x1280x1024 (2d panel and Atlas map above copilot's yoke)
1x1280x1024 (not yet configured, outside view to fill the gap above copilot's instrumentation)

Two ELITE yokes, one of them a ProPanel II. Both have their standard controllers replaced by homemade FlightGearized HID controllers.
One set of solid state rudder pedals
One homemade radio stack to simulate two KX155, a DME indicator and an intercom for two aviation headsets.
The pilot's instrumentation are basically two 19" 1280x1024 TFT displays with a mask in front containing rotary encoders to simulate the knobs for setting altimeter, heading bug etc. These are driven by a separate mini-pc with an atom processor and a small 6500 nvidia card.

Everything is interconnected with a myriad of power, usb and network cables (wireless is for sissies!).

Total electrical power dissipation is roughly 2.5kW with peaks up to 3.0kW if the GPUs get busy.

Do you still think it's not worth the trip?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby f-ojac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 pm

That's why their eventual distribution channel has to be thought off. They should at least be optional.

Concerning the custom/standard stuff, most of the custom scenery are in fact using the data which will get shipped with the next terrain generation being worked on.
Next terrain generation via Terrasync is probably a matter of less one month. We have to wait for a possible official announcement.
And you'd probably be one of the first to know if you're at FS Weekend.

BTW here is LOWI with new terrain:
Compared to the link you gave earlier
Last edited by f-ojac on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f-ojac

Postby radi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Oh, now I see. While James and f-ojac were talking about ways to distribute this through terrasync to the general public, I was mainly targeting the FSweekend for now.

Sorry, I didn't mean to enter the long list of users asking "When is the nextgen scenery ready?"
radi

Postby zakalawe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Nono, I was talking specifically about FSWeekend, I didn't realise you would be there! Solving it for the general case I'll leave for another day :)

It's more that, since we need to combine this with the scenery we're using at FSWeekend - and terrasync will not be available - no connectivity at the Aviodrome, certainly not enough to download huge scenery files. So someone (not me) has hopefully thought about areas to demo. LOWI is an obvious choice, maybe Hong Kong with Julien's excellent buildings, I am sure everybody has their own suggestions.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby durk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:55 pm

[Temporarily coming out of hybernation :) ]

Funny, I just saw this post, after I had been practicing the LOWI runway 8 displaced threshold approach for a couple of hours. LOWI is definitely on the list of places to showcase at FSWeekend. Since I've been out of the loop, I'd be interested in knowing about other interesting areas. I can say that we have something interesting with respect to scenery, but that's all I can say right now.

FWIW, it's not that we don't want to visit the EHAM/EHLE area at all; it's just that after 8 years of focusing on that area, we felt that things were becoming a tad repetitive. I will probably be flying the 707 most of the time this FSWeekend (it seems to be appropriate for an Aviation Museum to fly something of historical interest), but I haven't finalized my plan entirely yet. I could be doing short hops across Europe, or just circuits in interesting areas. I would also like to try the Tupolev 154, but I'm not sure if two weeks is sufficient to learn Russian, in order to read the cyrrillic lettering. :-)

Suggestions for other cool (rembrandt ready) aircraft will also be welcome.

Finally, after a nearly two year leave of absence from the project, in order to pursue my photography hobby, as well as regenerate my batteries, I'm slowly coming back to the scene. I still have to determine how much, and how I wish to spend my limited spare time with FlightGear.

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby radi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Speaking of Hong Kong, that reminds me of MSFS freeware scenery I had converted to FGFS some years ago:

but never got around to ask for permission to release as GPL (should do that soon). The MSFS scenery includes the checkerboard hill, the airport terminal and the small buildings in foreground. The tall ones are OSM buildings I've just added. Ah, and I have adapted the LOWI lead-in-lights for the curved approach. Unfortunately, the (old) landcover is somewhat off here.
radi

Postby durk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Nice buildings!

radi wrote in Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 pm:Ah, and I have adapted the LOWI lead-in-lights for the curved approach. Unfortunately, the (old) landcover is somewhat off here.

We *will* be using state-of-the-art landcover data. But that's all I can say right now. :-)

D.
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Next

Return to Scenery