Board index FlightGear Media

The making of the Queen

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: The making of the Queen

Postby mischka » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 am

connect wrote in Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10 am:Thats one of the let downs with not only this, but also the Tupolev Tu154b.

from what I understood the tu154 has an autopilot, it's just forbiddingly complicated to use, like the rest of that plane.
Last edited by Gijs on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please.
Do you fly a lot in Europe? Have a look at European Virtual Airlines
Or do you fly all over the planet? Then have a look at Atlas Virtual Airlines
mischka

Callsign: EUR001

Postby Figaro » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:49 am

Well it just may, whilst I can speak a little Russian, I'm not proficient in Cyrillic script.

Cheers,
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby Gijs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 am

mischka wrote in Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:41 am:Will the a/p finally work for 2.6?

It should work yeah, Markus worked very hard on it. I'd suggest you to try the release candidate (when available), so you can report bugs and we can actually fix them béfore the release ;-)

You do need a nice cockpit btw. In the old one, the buttons weren't nicely modeled and therefore the pick animations had problems. The autopilot panel is rather complex, with up to three buttons in one. When you cannot feel them, it's hard to click the right one when the buttons are incorrectly modeled...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Tuxklok » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:48 pm

mischka wrote in Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 am:
connect wrote in Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10 am:Thats one of the let downs with not only this, but also the Tupolev Tu154b.

from what I understood the tu154 has an autopilot, it's just forbiddingly complicated to use, like the rest of that plane.

The Tu154 autopilot works extremely well and is really not so difficult to learn at all..perhaps I need to try and make more Tu154 videos soon. :)

Looking really great Gijs!

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby f-ojac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Gijs wrote in Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 pm:Just one more ("complete") picture, to keep myself motivated :)

Just a compliment, to keep you highly motivated ;-)
--
If you want to support my Terrasync server, hosted on a private server, you can donate here: http://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/WS2.0/WS ... 2.0.1.html
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby ot-666 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I really look forward to the cockpit of the Queen. Looks amazing :D
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666
Version: GIT

Postby mischka » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Gijs wrote in Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 am:
mischka wrote in Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:41 am:Will the a/p finally work for 2.6?

It should work yeah, Markus worked very hard on it. I'd suggest you to try the release candidate (when available), so you can report bugs and we can actually fix them béfore the release ;-)

so, 2.6 is out ... dies the A/P work now? ;)
Do you fly a lot in Europe? Have a look at European Virtual Airlines
Or do you fly all over the planet? Then have a look at Atlas Virtual Airlines
mischka

Callsign: EUR001

Postby E-Savageair » Fri May 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Updated CPA AWC...

Looking to start up ANA..
E-Savageair

Callsign: ESA
Version: 3.0

Postby Gijs » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:09 pm

It's been a while since my last post in this topic, but development continues of course. Porting the displays to Canvas system for example. The PFD is mostly done now and so are the EICAS displays. It's a lot of work, but very rewarding and fun to do, since you get to dig knee-deep into all systems and discover things you never knew existed :-)

Gijs

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:32 pm

I noticed your work already when reviewing the latest newsletter additions, seems like you're becoming a canvas expert already :shock: - is there anything that we need to work on tutorial-wise ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Gijs » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Well, what I'd really like to have is to duplicate the displays in dialogs. So you can have the fuel EICAS in a dialog, while looking at the fuel system controls on the overhead panel. In real life pilots can quickly glance up/down, but without Occulus Rift this is cumbersome in FlightGear. :-) I once managed to place the canvas on a dialog, but it was a very nasty hack that didn't work for multiple displays. Being able to look at an example would help a lot!

I also need a better way to switch pages on the lower EICAS. Right now I delete/re-create the Canvas with this code. It doesn't work well though; at times no page is loaded at all. Of course I cannot delete a Canvas when I have it displayed in a dialog, so this method is probably doomed...

Thanks!
Gijs
Gijs

Postby Philosopher » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Aye, our #1 Canvas user! ;)

Off the top of my head there are two options: use groups and z-index to select an "active" one and "inactive" ones (e.g. inactive=-1, active=0), or create/destroy groups. The former will probably end up being cleaner, and without looking at your code I would say that there needs to be a class for pages (instances of that would be specific pages) and a manager class (basically would handle z-index toggling), and the page class would have an update loop that would only run when z-index >= 0 (i.e. when it is active) and once on switching to active mode. So you really don't need to create/remove anything, just keep a group per page that shows and hides and updates only if visible.
Thanks,
Philosopher
(inactive but lurking occasionally...)
Philosopher

Callsign: AFTI

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:31 pm

EDIT: P. beat me to it, I spent too much time typing ...

Looking at your pfd.nas file currently, does the PFD work properly with multiple instances, i.e. captain/copilot ? Just wondering because I haven't looked at how the code is loaded, but just noticed that you are initializing a bunch of global variables at the top of the script, rather than instance-specific member variables, which I would have expected here ?

For example, consider code like this:
Code: Select all
flaps0 = pfd.getElementById("flaps0");
        flaps1 = pfd.getElementById("flaps1");
        flaps5 = pfd.getElementById("flaps5");
        flaps10 = pfd.getElementById("flaps10");
        flaps20 = pfd.getElementById("flaps20");

so with 2-3 helper functions, and using a vector of lookup keys (for the SVG handles, assuming that the member fields can have identical names) and automatically initializing a corresponding member field then, something along the lines of this (in the constructor):

Code: Select all
# we're in the ctor
var m = { parents: [canvas_PFD] };

var svg_keys = ["flaps0", "flaps1","flaps5", "flaps10", "flaps20"];
foreach(var key; svg_keys) {
m[key] = pfd.getElementById(key);
}

Obviously, this would need some special-case code to deal with updateCenter(); and other init stuff (translation/transform) - but nothing that couldn't be handled via a little helper function and an optional set of parameters, i.e. far less typing/coding required.

I sent a PM to Philosopher asking him how this works under the hood and if it's a safe practice or not - or if I'm just plain wrong :D

what I'd really like to have is to duplicate the displays in dialogs.

You should be able to use an embedded/nested canvas here - where you simply have a single 744 dialog and only ever set the index to the canvas that you want via canvas://by-index/ - Tom also mentioned once that he was going to support lookups by handles, but you can simply use canvas.get( path ) for now.

So, this should just involve:

I'll try to add a tutorial to the wiki once I can run FG again ...

I also need a better way to switch pages on the lower EICAS. Right now I delete/re-create the Canvas

Maybe Tom has a better idea, but I would simply maintain separate pages, either as canvas textures or simply as top-level groups, and then simply .hide() those that you don't want to show - that way, you can keep all pages in the tree, and only show certain pages, without having to delete anything. But Tom should know if there's a better way.

Personally, I would structure the canvas tree for the EICAS based on pages, so that each page is a separate group - and then only ever update the active group (page), while hiding all other groups (pages). That's basically also how the airport selection dialog works internally IIRC, it renders each airport feature (runway, taxiways, tower etc) into a distinct group, so that they can be easily hidden/shown, without having to redraw/update the whole canvas.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Philosopher » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Oh, hide/show is better :D. There should also be an isHidden predicate...
Thanks,
Philosopher
(inactive but lurking occasionally...)
Philosopher

Callsign: AFTI

Postby Gijs » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:47 pm

This is already interesting stuff, thanks guys! Perfect for a rainy Sunday like today (the amount of rain that normally falls over the whole of October falls in 24 hours today). Some initial comments; before I start trying anything (won't be today, but hope to have some time this week):

So you two suggest to merge all SVGs into one big EICAS.svg, containing a group for each page? And then hide/show those groups based on the selected page, and add an if to the update section, to only update elements from the active page/group? Sounds okayish...

Hooray wrote in Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:31 pm:Looking at your pfd.nas file currently, does the PFD work properly with multiple instances, i.e. captain/copilot ?

Right now both PFDs are identical, so there's just a single Canvas. Of course for a complete simulation we'd need independent PFDs, but that's not high on my priority list.

You should be able to use an embedded/nested canvas here - where you simply have a single 744 dialog and only ever set the index to the canvas that you want via canvas://by-index/

Ah, I forgot about that one. Ultimately I'd prefer to have seperate dialogs for all displays, so one can for example show the PFD, EICAS fuel page and EICAS hydraulics page at the same time.

Cheers,
Gijs
Gijs

PreviousNext

Return to Media