Board index FlightGear Media

Landscape Art

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Landscape Art

Postby Thorsten » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:49 am

So here's some motivation for scenery people, texturing enthusiasts and anyone who ponders whether it's worth learning how to create your own regional texture scheme.

We can render landscapes really nicely by combining all we have - FG doesn't have to look ugly, the problem is not lack of tools, they just have to be applied.

Thorsten

Landscape Artist

Postby Cpt Goosnen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Congratulations Thorsten! for beeing the first person who make me rl think about the acquisition of a modern OS

incredibly good work Image

slarti bartfass :mrgreen:
actually quite still naive
Cpt Goosnen

Callsign: Arse
Version: 3.0

Re: Landscape Art

Postby Bjoern » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:32 pm

The second one makes me want to go for a drive low flight in the countryside.
Do a barrel roll!
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby Johan G » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Cpt Goosnen wrote in Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm:slarti bartfass :mrgreen:

+1 on that. Beautiful screenshots, Thorsten. My favourite among these ones is the second one. 8)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Thorsten » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:46 pm

The second one makes me want to go for a drive low flight in the countryside.

And you can even see the wind moving the grass (although I'm not completely happy with the effect yet...) :D . Flying with a helicopter and landing somewhere in the terrain is actually pretty nice now, there's lots of ground details which you really only get to see that way (or with the cars of course).
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Thorsten wrote in Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:46 pm:And you can even see the wind moving the grass... :D

Mm, sounds interesting. :D Is that a shader in a similar way to the water shader, but perhaps with slightly different wave patterns?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby planetacancun » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:32 pm

That looks awesome, I want to fly there!
Callsign:Fallen-
Videos: http://youtube.com/planetacancun2
planetacancun

Callsign: Fallen-
IRC name: Fallen-
Version: GIT

Postby Thorsten » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:27 am

Is that a shader in a similar way to the water shader, but perhaps with slightly different wave patterns?

It's three interfering sine waves passed through a quadratic filter to give the appearance of gusts which then fade back to nothing, with a linear component superimposed for strong winds so that you get the impression of a flow of leaves and debris across the ground if there is a storm - much less regular than the water shader.

Code: Select all
// Wind motion of the overlay noise simulating movement of vegetation and loose
debris

vec2 windPos;

if (wind_effects > 1)
        {
        float windSpeed = length(vec2 (WindE,WindN)) /3.0480;
        // interfering sine wave wind pattern
        float sineTerm = sin(0.35 * windSpeed * osg_SimulationTime + 0.05 * (raw
Pos.x + rawPos.y));
        sineTerm = sineTerm + sin(0.3 * windSpeed * osg_SimulationTime + 0.04 *
(rawPos.x + rawPos.y));
        sineTerm = sineTerm + sin(0.22 * windSpeed * osg_SimulationTime + 0.05 *
 (rawPos.x + rawPos.y));
        sineTerm = sineTerm/3.0;
        // non-linear amplification to simulate gusts
        sineTerm = sineTerm * sineTerm;//smoothstep(0.2, 1.0, sineTerm);

// wind starts moving dust and leaves at around 8 m/s
        float timeArg = 0.01 * osg_SimulationTime * windSpeed * smoothstep(8.0,
15.0, windSpeed);
        timeArg = timeArg + 0.02 * sineTerm;

windPos = vec2 (rawPos.x + WindN * timeArg, rawPos.y +  WindE * timeArg)
;
        }
Thorsten

Postby Bjoern » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Thorsten wrote in Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:46 pm:And you can even see the wind moving the grass (although I'm not completely happy with the effect yet...) :D . Flying with a helicopter and landing somewhere in the terrain is actually pretty nice now, there's lots of ground details which you really only get to see that way (or with the cars of course).

Aaaaaaand the bar has been raised some more! Great job. How's visual performance?
Do a barrel roll!
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 am

how can I make the scenery on my computer look like on your pictures ?
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Thorsten » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Most are a combination of hires scenery (Corsica custom scenery, France custom scenery, Caribbean...) with dedicated regional texturing (all definitions except Corsica are available on GIT and 2.12) and procedural texturing (which requires Atmospheric Light Scattering on at high detail level) - and always Advanced Weather running for consistent weather and light. All these elements acting together give you spectacular scenery.

The only places where FG default scenery is really hires and we have regional procedural overlay definitions is Hawaii (not shown here) - it is worth exploring though...
Thorsten

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Well after playing around with War Thunder for a week and a half, I'd say the new FG scenery looks better, although the shadows, cloud shadowing and fog shading and shading-reflection effects in W-T is pretty awesome. Unfortunately they're not really into making a close representation of the 'real world's' terrain.

I'm surprised it ran as well as it did on my old gaming rig though. Something about DirectX's rendering efficiency.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2016.1

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:49 pm

shadows, cloud shadowing and fog shading and shading-reflection effects in W-T is pretty awesome

I know about shadows and cloud shadowing and to what extent we have those, but I have no clue what fog shading you may be missing and what a shading reflection is supposed to be.

We render fog with a time dependent 3-dim distribution of light by solving a light diffusion equation corrected for a Mie forward scattering term with the light incidence on the top of the layer dependent on cloud cover above as initial condition - so as far as real physics of light propagation in fog is concerned, there's actually a lot of that in FG. What are you missing?
Thorsten

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:20 pm

Actually I meant mirror effects, the Hurricane in the first tier of British fighters in War Thunder has a working rear view mirror, you can actually watch your six with it. And when you are flying in a thin cloud or fog, with some sunlight passing through, the shadow of your plane is cast through the fog. You also get varying amounts of ground shadowing from the thickness of the clouds passing between the sun and ground. It's quite realistic.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2016.1

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 am

I've now been flying a lot this year (basically a trip every three weeks since summer), and I was looking out every time about what nature has that we may be missing, how real terrain textures looks as compared to what we have and so on.

A shadow cast by an airplane is something that you hardly ever see. In reality, you actually have to watch closely, because diffraction bends a lot of light into the shade, it's thus very diffuse for any distance where you could actually see it, and frequently surrounded by an halo of light. Shadows of objects on the ground are something one hardly ever sees unless very close to the ground.

Average light attenuation on the ground due to clouds we have - individual cloud shadows on the ground I get to see in reality for maybe 1 in 10 trips, when the air is very clear and you have strong Cu clouds. Most days are hazy and have too diffuse clouds and individual cloud shadows become something you have to look for very hard.

So from my perspective, these things are incredibly cool, but their actual importance in reality isn't nearly as high as the effort it'd take to render them. Which means they aren't very high priority...
Thorsten

Next

Return to Media