Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Atlas-like application on Android

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Re: Atlas-like application on Android

Postby ludomotico » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:38 am

Currently, they use two different technologies:

- from the PC to the tablet, UDP is used. If the map is working and the instruments are moving, you have this bit working. Nice.
- from the tablet to the PC, telnet is used. It is used in the radio panel, the different switches of the instrument panel and in some other places. The tablet must be aware of the network address of your PC. You have to set the network address of your PC in the settings menu of FlightGearMap (in the tablet). I believe that you have not performed this step :)
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby loveflying » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:15 am

I have it working :) thanks for the help, it was thevtablet to pc ip address
loveflying

Postby loveflying » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:58 pm

a great app, all the map needs now is airport labels, i dont know how easy or hard it would be to add but it would make the app perfect.
loveflying

Postby welias » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:27 am

Hello, first of all congratulations on the application. It really is excellent. I tried it on a cell phone with Android and no problems. Today I bought a tablet with Android 4.1 and want to install the application from Google Play Store returns the error I get in the picture. I need help! Thank you.

welias

Postby ludomotico » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:00 am

welias, please, send me a private message including as much as information as you can about your tablet: android version, brand, screen size... I can create a filter in Google Play to prevent the installation on some devices, but I never used this filter... on purpose.

Edit: ups. It seems there are about 400 devices "not allowed" to have this application. I don't know why, I guess these devices are declaring their capabilities wrongly.

At the time being and if you don't care to use a development version, try to install manually this file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/131 ... earMap.apk

(you'll have to "allow installation from external sources" in your tablet settings)
ludomotico

Postby welias » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:54 pm

:(

The tablet is a dual core cortex A9, screen 9.7 LED, 1GB mem, 16GB Flash, Android 4.1
Bangho Aero A2-110

Thanks for you help.
welias

Postby ludomotico » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:52 pm

welias, I have no idea about what is happening. Your snapshot shows that you installed an apk with the google market. Are you using a custom rom? I noticed recently my code lists "google maps" as a requisite for FlightGearMap. This is wrong, I'm not using google maps any more but I forgot to remove the reference. I never noticed this before because google maps is included in most roms, but if you are using a custom rom it may be not the case.

Is Google Maps installed on your tablet? I'll post a link without the google maps requisite on wednesday.
ludomotico

Postby pommesschranke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54 am

I tried the "FlightGearMap" app yesterday and I like it very much.
on my android 4.0.1 tablet "Arnova 10d G3 ":

map & controls: works fine
only map: works fine
single engine panel: graphic is broken: content of instruments is shifted to one side.
cessna 337: I will test that today.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby ludomotico » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 pm

pommesschranke, I'll look into it, but it may be an occasional bug. I recently changed the code to support 16:9 and 4:3 screens. I tested the application on devices of both sizes and they ran ok but I guess screen aspect may be estimated wrongly under some special circumstances. In these cases, going back to the list of panels and then selecting again the same panel fixes the issue. Could you try the single engine panel again, please?
ludomotico

Postby ludomotico » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 am

pommesschranke, I'm afraid I cannot replicate the bug you reported on any of my devices. Did you try again the same panel?

welias, here you'll find a development version without the Google Maps requirement. Can you check if this works on your tablet? Thank you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/131 ... earMap.apk
ludomotico

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:52 pm

ludomotico wrote in Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 am:Did you try again the same panel?

yes. that did not change anything.
it always looks correct for a second and then gets messed up.
have a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-fjicg0ls
pommesschranke

Postby ludomotico » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Oh, I see. Thanks for the video. I'm still not sure about what is causing this bug, but I have now some ideas.

Have you checked the file I posted before? Is it doing the same?
ludomotico

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:55 pm

ludomotico wrote in Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:24 pm:Have you checked the file I posted before? Is it doing the same?

yes, the same.
pommesschranke

Postby ludomotico » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:16 pm

pommesschranke, in the link of the previous message you'll find a new version I prepared to address your problem. There is a new option in settings: switch the "center instruments" option off. It is going to be active by default, but not centering the instruments may be more adequate for your device. Can you test and report if your problem is fixed?

Note you may have to uninstall the application before installing again!

Edit: checking again your video, there is a funny thing I didn't notice before: the bottom bar hides automatically. How do you do this? Is there some option in your Android system? If this is the case, which version of Android are you using? Is it some trick by a third party tool? The position of the surfaces on the screen is calculated according to the declared size of the application. I'm aware some third-party tools fool the system into believing they have a different screen size to hide the bottom bar. This is a clever trick, but can interfere with applications that check the screen size, as FlightGearMap does. Is it your case?

I will add in a minute a new option: "do not go fullscreen". Please, use this option and report the results.

Thanks!
ludomotico

Postby welias » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:21 am

ludomotico, I could not make it work. I have tried everything. I have installed google maps, google store, google services. But I keep getting the same error when trying to install FlightGearMaps. Any idea?
welias

PreviousNext

Return to Atlas