Board index FlightGear Development Tutorials and missions

Missions

Interactive in-sim tutorials and missions

Missions

Postby k33bz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:49 am

At the same time I first started messing around with FGFS I tried out Flight Simulator. To be honest, there was not much difference between the two, at least IMO. Only thing I saw that was there in FS that is not in FGFS is missions. I would love to see missions here in FGFS. Flying just for kicks and flying for Virtual Airliners is all good, but I would like something else to do besides these two things.
k33bz

Callsign: K5360
Version: 2.10

Re: Missions

Postby Hooray » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:18 am

See: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=missions+adventures

There are also a bunch of threads on rescue missions, multiplayer stuff, virtual airlines etc - the glideslope tunnel script could be easily modified to check how well someone flies an ILS approach for example.

Otherwise, the bombable or the RedBull air race addons are most likely to qualify as "mission addons" with immediate feedback/interactive scoring.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby k33bz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:37 am

Thanks Hooray, just went over them, seems I am not the only one that has brought this up :).................... Did Trez ever finish creating his tutorial mission?

Wasnt really looking at something with scoring. Just something that is interactive with job complete. Like FSX, and as noted, only thing I really liked about FSX.
k33bz

Postby Hooray » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:49 am

Just look at the tutorial.nas file, it already supports stuff like progress/completion messages - and it can be easily extended to also support scoring, high scores or whatever else you may have in mind - making a handful of modifications like these should be straightforward, even if you don't know a thing about Nasal scripting - there are enough folks around here who are happy to lend a helping hand to walk you through, or even post full snippets of code - afterwards, it just boils down to opening existing tutorials or creating new ones.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Tutorials

I suggest to read through these docs, and you'll see that creating simple missions is already supported - even without touching any code, just by editing XML files.
So, that's not a real issue - unless of course you are asking US to create missions for you? :D

For starters, you could look at existing tutorials and see how they work - start by modifying them, copying snippets around - for example, change messages, numbers, targets - and it will all fall into place pretty quickly. Next, you can start your own little tutorial, such as flying a pattern at KSFO - it really isn't rocket science, and it doesn't require any coding either.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby k33bz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:56 am

Actually I put this post up as a feature request, if possible, and since it is possible, hooray me, lol. However, if it is as easy as you say it is, just minor xml editing, I could probable do it. Not sure when I will have the time, but I can look over the documentation and see where it goes from there. On a side note (not related to my original post)

How is or hard is it to give a plane a full make over? Coming from a guy who only tweaks scripts a little bit, but who is also a 3D graphics artist.
k33bz

Postby Hooray » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 am

please start a separate thread for your last question - we cannot cover tons of unrelated questions in a single thread and then expect new users to actually search the forum and read through such threads to find the answers they're looking for - just look at your own usage of the search function (i.e. lack thereof), despite me providing the corresponding links. :D
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Tutorials and missions