Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

SH-60B Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: SH-60

Postby x7cusick8x » Tue May 21, 2013 11:50 pm

link removed.
Last edited by x7cusick8x on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x7cusick8x

Callsign: 84-104
Version: 2.10

Postby x7cusick8x » Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 am

so i was thinking of adding a folding animation like this Image
and a tug or pushback with a tow bar only thing wrong is i dont know how to animate ether any help would be greatly appreciated
x7cusick8x

Postby x7cusick8x » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:16 pm

**UPDATE**

SH-60B interior completed and mapped.
Rear Door cut out (needs animation)
rotor issues solved

**WORK TO BE DONE**
Accurate Sounds
Folding animation
Pushback
Door animation
Aerotow
Maybe 3D hanging cargo
Last edited by x7cusick8x on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x7cusick8x

Postby Philosopher » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 pm

1) For the pushback, you could look at airliners for how they do it. It's essentially a thruster in the YASim file and then one property for showing the pushback and another for rolling the pushback towards the attachment point on the aircraft.
2) For the doors and rotor folding, you can use the aircraft.door class from Nasal. There are some docs in the $FG_ROOT/Nasal/aircraft.nas file and several examples in existing aircraft, but if you need help with Nasal I can help you out.

Your model is looking great! I'm looking forward to another helicopter in FlightGear, hopefully I'll get the chance to test it out. :D
Philosopher

Postby x7cusick8x » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Link Removed.

here is the updated link upon further inspection looks like the new Sound stick tubes and computer textures wont map in FG need to take another look let me know if you guys see anything else
x7cusick8x

Postby x7cusick8x » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Link Removed.

**UPDATE**

Interior tweaked
new views
x7cusick8x

Postby x7cusick8x » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Philosopher wrote in Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 pm:1) For the pushback, you could look at airliners for how they do it. It's essentially a thruster in the YASim file and then one property for showing the pushback and another for rolling the pushback towards the attachment point on the aircraft.
2) For the doors and rotor folding, you can use the aircraft.door class from Nasal. There are some docs in the $FG_ROOT/Nasal/aircraft.nas file and several examples in existing aircraft, but if you need help with Nasal I can help you out.

Your model is looking great! I'm looking forward to another helicopter in FlightGear, hopefully I'll get the chance to test it out. :D

help with the door nasal would be awesome im still trying to figure out how to do that
x7cusick8x

Postby x7cusick8x » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:05 pm

[quote=Link Removed.

**UPDATE**

Exterior View Tweak
Interior tweaked
new views
Pushback added (model wont show up)
[/quote]
Last edited by x7cusick8x on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x7cusick8x

Postby Philosopher » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:59 pm

You actually pretty much have it there. If you look at helijah's F6F you will see an example of extra doors being used for wings (see it's Nasal/doors.nas and Nasal/f6f-keyboard.xml) - you can basically copy that code, change names if you want to (e.g. tail instead of wings), and then use the property to animate things. The aircraft.door.new function accepts two parameters: property name to animate and time to go from fully open to fully closed. The first is what you will be using in your animation files (0 is the default position, so when the property is 0 it shouldn't change anything).

For the FDM: here's a little bit of code to experiment with for the pushback (YASim):
Code: Select all
  <thruster x="19.28"  y="0.00" z="-2.55" vx="1" vy="0" vz="0" thrust="10000">
    <control-input axis="/sim/model/pushback/target-speed-fps" control="THROTTLE"
                   src0="-1" src1="1" dst0="-1" dst1="1"/>

The model for the pushback did not have it's own <model> tag (it was with the "Interieur") and obviously needed some tweaking of the coordinates, so try this:
  <!-- Pushback -->
  <model>
   <name>Pushback</name>
   <path>Models/Airport/Pushback/Goldhofert.xml</path>
   <offsets>
    <x-m>-10.0</x-m>
    <y-m>0</y-m>
    <z-m>-2.7</z-m>
   </offsets>
  </model>

I would highly suggest double-checking the positions of the landing gear (it looks like a nosewheel aircraft instead of a taildragger :lol:). I can probably help you with that if you need it. And if you do animate doors (you have key bindings already ;)), then I would suggest to also make them clickable (using the same <binding> as used in the keyboard keys) since that seems to be the popular option (and I like it, clicking a door makes sense). You also seem to have a fair amount of animation/object name mismatches (don't you name your models in french? ;)):

Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'rotor'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'doorL', 'doorR', 'glaceL', 'glaceR'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'PortesArrieres'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'windowL2', 'windowR2', 'glaceL2', 'glaceR2'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'FenetresArrieres'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'windowL1', 'windowL2', 'windowR1', 'windowR2', 'glaceL1', 'glaceL2', 'glaceR1', 'glaceR2'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'FenetresTotals'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'elevator'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'roueG', 'axeL1'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'TrainGauche'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'axeL2'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'roueD', 'axeR1'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'TrainDroit'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'axeR2'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'roueA', 'axeT3'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'TrainArriere'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'roueG'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'roueD'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'roueA'

Nice model, though :)
Philosopher

Postby x7cusick8x » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:29 pm

A lot of the code was borrowed and that's why it's in French and I need to clean it up but thanks for the advice ill take another look at the code and post my results
x7cusick8x

Postby x7cusick8x » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:46 pm

thank you so much for the help i was never really sure about animation till now, i animated the tail gear, tail and door plus added a custom carrier mule as a pushback. my issue now is the aircraft moves back when i open the door and the camera stays put. so when the doors open the cockpit camera is out front of the aircraft... im stuck :|
x7cusick8x

Postby x7cusick8x » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Todo:
place pushback in correct position behind the aircraft
Fix door
Fold animation
Last edited by x7cusick8x on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x7cusick8x

Postby x7cusick8x » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Done:
NEW GLASS ADDED!
Fuselage Touched up
Correct pushback location and functioning
animated all parts of the aircraft
Fixed Rotor animation and position

Todo:
Fix the door and aircraft moving together (Need Help!)
Cut and animate the aircraft fold
x7cusick8x

Re: SH-60B Development

Postby x7cusick8x » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:25 am

Update:

In an attempt to make the FDM more realistic i actually made the aircraft incredibly easy and smooth to fly now! 8)
x7cusick8x

Re: SH-60B Development

Postby Philosopher » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 am

Hi, I got the chance to redownload and test (from your old link that I found in my browser history :)), and I have a couple comments:

1. The collective seems way excessive, something like twice as much as it needs to be. Changing min/max collective in the FDM to ±40 fixes this (they need to be the same value for some reason).
  2. There's some funny stuff happening with the right main gear ;). It's actually getting animated using the left gear's properties, and it doesn't seem to work very well besides. Thomas added something which may be of help here: Lock-track animation
  3. For the door animation: you wrote this in the file:
      <animation>
        <name>Door</name>
      </animation>

which translates as: group animation (since it has no <type>) with name Door (valid object name, meanwhile) and including all objects (which I believe is a side-effect of specifying no <object-name>'s). When you use an <object-name>Door</object-name> afterwards, that now references all objects, thanks to the group animation. Removing it helps :)
  4. When the door is fully back, it intersects the pylon-foil thingy, which I don't think is an intentional design feature?
  5. Paste this code in for the gear (btw, it's just a rearrangement, copy/paste, & editing of steering, but it fixes the gear animations and also makes the heli feel better on the ground):
      <!-- left gear -->
      <gear x="5.538" y="1.343" z="-2.958"
            compression="0.1"
            spring="3.2"
            damp="1.0"
            sfric="1.5"
            dfric="0.8"
            initial-load="1">
            <control-input axis="/controls/gear/brake-left" control="BRAKE"/>
            <control-input axis="/controls/gear/brake-parking" control="BRAKE"/>
            <control-input axis="/controls/gear/gear-down" control="EXTEND"/>
            <control-output control="EXTEND" prop="/gear/gear[1]/position-norm"/>
            <control-speed control="EXTEND" transition-time="7"/>
      </gear>

<!-- right gear -->
      <gear x="5.538" y="-1.343" z="-2.958"
            compression="0.1"
            spring="3.2"
            damp="1.0"
            sfric="1.5"
            dfric="0.8"
            initial-load="1">
            <control-input axis="/controls/gear/brake-right" control="BRAKE"/>
            <control-input axis="/controls/gear/brake-parking" control="BRAKE"/>
            <control-output control="EXTEND" prop="/gear/gear[2]/position-norm"/>
      </gear>

<!-- rear gear -->
      <gear x="0.744" y="0" z="-2.695"
            compression="0.1"
            spring="3"
            damp="1.0"
            sfric="1.5"
            dfric="0.8">
            <control-input axis="/controls/flight/rudder" control="STEER" square="true" src0="-1" dst0="0.5" src1="1" dst1="-0.5"/>
            <control-output control="STEER" prop="controls/gear/steering"/>
            <control-output control="EXTEND" prop="/gear/gear[0]/position-norm"/>
      </gear>

Even with reduced tailwheel steering, taxiing at any speed is rather precarious. (I don't think helis were made for taxiing... ?)
  6. Comment out line 432 of uh60.nas, since variant is never set to be something other than nil
  7. Getting this warning: Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'rotor'
  8. I think the pushback feels stronger than it should be, ±1 is quite fast right now.
  9. I like that you animated the tailplane!

It's coming along! Is this/this on the TODO list?
Last edited by Philosopher on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft