Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

Extracting new Aircraft into Folder Problem:

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

Extracting new Aircraft into Folder Problem:

Postby dik909 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 am

I've downloaded the .zip files of the new aircraft I'm wanting to fly, but am reaching the following peculiar error window when I select what folder to extract them to:

You don't have the right permissions to extract archives in the folder "file:///usr/share/games/FlightGear/Aircraft"

What gives ? Any ideas/suggestions on how to get around this ??

Much thanks..
dik909

Re: Extracting new Aircraft into Folder Problem:

Postby Bjoern » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:37 pm

It's a permission problem. Linux is very protective

I suggest extracting the aircraft to a temporary folder in your /home/[username] directory and then opening the .../FlightGear/Aircraft with root privileges in your file manager program before adding the aircraft to it.

In any case, I'd check the support forum or wiki for your distribution. You should find more information regarding folder permissions there.
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby Gijs » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Alternatively you may also assign an extra $FG_AIRCRAFT directory. This directory can be outside the protected environment and can contain additional aircraft that you download. A similar thing can be done with scenery.

Also see our wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Special_directories
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby a1872 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi. I'm trying to add aircraft--I've downloaded the ZIPs and extracted them to /home/anthony/Aircraft (I read that a way around the permission problem was to create a non-protected folder). I'm using FGrun and have directed the FG_Aircraft path to the F-14b folder in anthony/Aircraft.
On the page of FGrun where a model is shown, the aircraft is still listed as the Citation and the model is shown (many other aircraft are listed, besides the Citation); the F-14 isn't listed in the aircraft list and the model doesn't appear. The Command Line is listed as:
/usr/games/fgfs
--fg-root=/usr/share/games/flightgear
--fg-scenery=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery
--fg-aircraft=/home/anthony/Aircraft/f-14b
--aircraft=CitationX
--control=joystick
--disable-random-objects
--prop:/sim/rendering/random-vegetation=false
--disable-specular-highlight
--disable-ai-models
--disable-real-weather-fetch
--enable-fullscreen
--geometry=800x600
--bpp=32
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, 2.4 GHz, 1.2 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce FX 5200.
I expected that after directing the FGrun path to the F-14 folder in /Aircraft that the 3-D model would change and I'd fly the F-14 in-simulation. I can't login as Root (it doesn't recognize my password for some reason), but can use sudo. I'm using FG version 2.10.0.
Thanks for your help and time!
Anthony
a1872

Postby AndersG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Your --fg-aircraft option looks suspect. It should point to a directory that contains per-aircraft directories. That is, for you, most likely --fg-aircraft=/home/anthony/Aircraft/ . If you use fgrun this is something you set on (IIRC) the very first page.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby a1872 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Still working on it.
Last edited by a1872 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a1872

Postby Gijs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:14 pm

a1872 wrote in Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 pm:I point to the /home/anthony/Aircraft folder.

No, you don't. You point to /home/anthony/Aircraft/f-14b Drop the /f-14b from the path (so you have just /home/anthony/Aircraft and nothin more or less) and see if that helps. If not, please confirm whether there's a /home/anthony/Aircraft/f-14b/f-14b-set.xml file.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: F-14b not listed, when the other downloaded aircraft are

Postby a1872 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi. I was able to get the aircraft I downloaded (F-15, F-16, F-117, Eurofighter) ]to be selectable in FGrun, but the F-14b was not listed where I select the aircraft to fly. I tried re-downloading the ZIP and extracting and also tried to point FGrun to the anthony/Aircraft folder by going back to the beginning page and also tried restarting FGrun; is there some bug that doesn't allow the F-14b to be selected? Also, how do I know to re-download an aircraft when the work on the status of the jet improves?
Thanks for your time and help,
Anthony
a1872

Postby saiarcot895 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:06 am

The F-14b is a default aircraft, and should be already listed and available.

Based on your fg-root (/usr/share/games/flightgear), your fg-aircraft should be /usr/share/games/flightgear/Aircraft. If you download more aircraft, you can all extract them to a folder and add that folder to the fg-aircraft (ex. /home/anthony/Aircraft).
Saikrishna Arcot

My FlightGear PPAs: FlightGear Stable, FlightGear Development (Edge)
saiarcot895

Callsign: flyhigh
Version: -next PPA

Postby a1872 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:48 am

Hi. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, 2.4 GHz, 1.2 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce FX 5200. I'm using FG version 2.10.0. When I tell FGrun to look for aircraft in the directory: /usr/share/games/flightgear/Aircraft, the F-14b isn't listed on the page where I select what to fly; I did use the file manager to check--the F-14b folder is there, along with the xml. I downloaded this particular aircraft because I did not think it was included with the install, so the path for my downloaded jets are: /home/anthony/Aircraft; the F-14b that I did download does not show either when the path is: /home/anthony/Aircraft. What do you recommend I do to get the F-14b?
Thanks for your help,
Anthony
a1872

Postby Icarus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:54 pm

I have the same problem, aircraft in another folder won't load. Mac OSX.

I've set 2 paths in .fgfsrc:
Code: Select all
--fg-scenery=/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/Scenery
--fg-aircraft=/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/Aircraft

The "Scenery" path works: all my added scenery resides there & loads up fine.

The "Aircraft" path doesn't work. The aircraft folders are there, and the "-set" files are present: the "autosave.xml" file reflects them:
<path-cache>
   <fg-root type="string">/Applications/Games/FlightGear/FG-2.10/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/../Resources/data</fg-root>
   <fg-aircraft type="string">/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/Aircraft</fg-aircraft>
   <aircraft>
     <file type="string">dg101g-set.xml</file>
     <path type="string">/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/Aircraft/DG-101G</path>
   </aircraft>
   <aircraft n="1">
     <file type="string">bocian-set.xml</file>
     <path type="string">/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/FlightGear/Aircraft/bocian</path>
   </aircraft>

But the startup front-end doesn't list them. Have to move them to $FG_ROOT/Aircraft to be recognised. Seems like a bug somewhere.
Icarus

Version: 2.12

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm

most frontends don't use the autosave.xml-based cache, so you really NEED to install/extract a/c into $FG_AIRCRAFT and rebuild the launcher's a/c cache.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Icarus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm:most frontends don't use the autosave.xml-based cache...

:? What else is it for?

Particularly as the Command-line options > "View Options" includes the path:
--fg-root=path               Specify the root data path
--fg-scenery=path            Specify the scenery path(s); Defaults to $FG_ROOT/Scenery
--fg-aircraft=path           Specify additional aircraft directory path(s)

... since the "scenery" path works, new users would expect the "aircraft" path to work as well (and it really is needed).
Icarus

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:53 pm

since you asked: the autosave-based aircraft cache is used by FG to speed up finding $FG_ROOT aircraft, otherwise it would ALWAYS need to process ALL aircraft when you are running --show-aircraft, the cache saves time.

I am not sure if the --fg-aircraft option is cached at all - these features were developed years apart, and all three, --show-aircraft, the autosave cache and the --fg-aircraft option were each developed 2-3 years apart IIRC.

And frankly, I cannot come up with a reason why the local $FG_ROOT cache should also list external aircraft that do not reside in $FG_ROOT - conceptually, that doesn't seem to make sense ? Keep in mind that aircraft specified via --fg-aircraft could in theory reside on removable media (usb/flash drives), so caching them in $FG_ROOT would make no sense in my opinion, or rather, require tons of platform-specific coding to deal with special cases. So personally, I wouldn't expect --show-aircraft (or its underlying cache) to honor external aircraft at all.

Some of this may be subject to change once aircraft can be switched at runtime - and maybe I am just wrong here, but I don't see how this is supposed to work.

If it does/did work (even just partially), the code behind it is -in my opinion- trying to be far too clever...

EDIT: Background info: http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear- ... 09713.html
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Icarus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:26 pm

OK, I can understand the cache requirements, but I'm looking at this from the end-user perspective.

It's NOT a good idea to store user-added options w/in the application package, for the simple reason that if the application should have to be re-installed (for whatever reason), all the users add-ins get blown away.

That IS in fact why I chose to remove my scenery & aircraft files from FG_ROOT: I reinstalled the application, and lost all my previously installed additional scenery & aircraft.

On Mac, the "Application Support" folder is there for just that purpose: to store user-specific settings and add-ons. And FlightGear DOES appropriately use it for many such things.

Anyway, I won't belabor the point, now that I know aircraft must go in FG_ROOT. I'll remember to save them if I ever have to re-install again. :lol:

Thanks! Sean
Icarus

Next

Return to Linux