Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

F4 Corsair

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

F4 Corsair

Postby Dene » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 am

Hi
Looking for an awe-inspiring, spectacular...screenshot of the F4 Corsair

Anyone?
Dene Maxwell
NZWN
Dene

Version: 200

Postby grtux » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:43 pm

well. there is a french version, dubbed "For French Only"
one has been restored it is flying , on meeting.

here the Flightgear model , not yet available, on progress

http://perso.orange.fr/GRTux/F4U.jpg
grtux

Postby stuart » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:48 am

grtux,

To go slightly off-topic...

What is the carrier in the background? It looks very nice and with a non-angled deck is quite different from the Nimitz

Is it GPLd and in CVS?

I'm putting together a landing simulation for the seahawk, so it would be nice to have an accurate carrier. At that time, the RN was still using "straight" deck carriers in general.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby grtux » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:56 pm

hello, stuart

it is not off-topic because the corsair was a wonderfull aircraft in the navy.

The carrier you can see, is the model of a French one "Arromanches" was English (Colossus Class),
Yes it is GPL, like an other carrier "Foch" (Vivian did commited "Foch", he asked me to do it).
Theses are part of a French project, which will include most of the French Aeronaval (RFN) ships and aircrafts from 1939 to now.
The F-8E Crusader ( which suit to "Foch" carrier) is fully finished flying with FG 0.9.9.
I have a lot of them, not yet finished.
Carriers "Bois Belleau" (was Belleau Wood) and "Lafayette"
Aircrafts, Corsair F4U-7 (which suit to "Arromanches") , F6 Grumman, Lancaster MKIII, Catalina PBY-5 , Walrus ........
Helicopters HSS (Sikorsky H34), Dragonfly S-51, Piasecki H-21

After that long explanation, and ... coming back to that straight deck carrier, it is under test, as soon as it is available for download, i will tell it on that forum, and, if there is any interest, i will not mind to have it in the CVS
Today only for the eyes :) some snapshots:

http://perso.orange.fr/GRTux/Arromanches_F4U-7_p2.jpg
http://perso.orange.fr/GRTux/Arromanches_F4U-7_p3.jpg
http://perso.orange.fr/GRTux/Arromanches_F4U-7_p4.jpg
http://perso.orange.fr/GRTux/Arromanches_F4U-7_p5.jpg
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby stuart » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks for the information.

According to wikipedia, the Colossus class was also used for Seafire aircraft in the Korean War, so it will be a great addition to FG.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Corsair variation

Postby hvengel » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:08 pm

The Good Year GF-2U-D1 is a variation on the Corsair that is very rare and would make a good addition to FG. Seems like it should not be hard to take one of the existing Corsair models and fix it up for this version.

This particular aircraft is a restoration of the one that won the Nationals the last time these was held in Cleveland (1949) exactly as it appeared at that time. There were only 10 of this variant built and only a few still exist and this is the only one currently in flying condition. It took the owner about 30,000 hours to do the restoration work.

The main difference between this and a regular Corsair are a much bigger engine (three rows instead of two) and the bubble canopy. But I believe that the fin/rudder were also much larger to handle that added power and to compensate for the reduced rear side area of the turtle deck.

I took this photo during the Nationals at Reno in 2005 where this aircraft was on static display. It also did flight demonstrations including aerobatics as part of the daily air shows. This image is a panorama that is stitched from 6 photos taken with a Nikon D70. So the full size version of the image is highly detailed.
Last edited by hvengel on Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
hvengel
Retired

Postby grtux » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:11 am

hello hvengel,

that GF-2U-D1, would be interesting, however
are you sure it has been built from a F4U-1 , and not from a F4U-5 ?
If your answer is ---F4U-5----

that GF-2U-D1 could be done from the other corsair F4U-7
the F4U-7 is the F4U-5 based
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby hvengel » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:18 am

As far as I know these are the only Corsair variants that had the full bubble canopy. This reduced the side area aft of the cockpit and looking at photos it is apparent that the fin & rudder are bigger than other Corsairs. In fact one source I found says the fin/rudder is a full foot taller. Also the nose is shorter to keep the CG in the correct location because of the extra weight of the bigger engine.

Although the F4U-5 had a more powerful engine than earlier models I think it was the same basic power plant as the earlier versions but with modifications that increased the power a few hundred HP. The GF-2Us have close to 3000 HP. The earlier Corsairs had 2800 cubic inch 18 cylinder engines that were around 1800 to 2000 HP and the GF-2Us had 4360 cubic inch 28 cylinder engines. This is the same basic engine as the B-29 and the Spruce Goose and these were commonly called the corn cob engine by those who worked on them. These babies have four bladed 13 foot propellers.

From looking on the web it appears that the development line started with the FG1-A in may 1944. The FG1-A was a Goodyear built F4U-1. The first and second prototypes were fitted with the 4360 engine but still had the original cockpit and turtle deck. The third and forth prototypes had the original 2800 cubic inch engine but were fitted with a P-47 bubble canopy and had no turtle deck.

Five pre-production prototypes were built in late 1944 early 1945. These were the first true GF2Us. At that point actual production began and 10 more aircraft were completed before production was halted by the end of the war. The one in the photograph entered service on 10/45 and was the fifth production aircraft and the last D1 version built. It was restored by Robert Odegaard of Kindred, ND starting in 1996. Here is more information about this planes history. This is currently the only flying example of this aircraft but Robert Odegaard is currently restoring another example for the Western Reserve Hist. Society of Cleveland, Oh. So at some point there will be two of these that are airworthy. Two others are on static display in museums. All of the others were either crashed, scraped or have an unknown fate.

So I am fairly certain that these were not F4U-5 variants since they were clearly derived from the F4U-1.
hvengel
Retired

Postby grtux » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:00 am

hello hvengel,

Many thanks for your explainations, i knew nothing regarding that wonderful corsair variant but some photos from www.airliners.net.
In spite of many time spent to study that aircraft.
I had that remark regarding F4U-5 versus F4U-1 , because
when ,last year, i started to draw the F4U-7 i thought to use a similar model i made before a F4U-1D.
The two drawing where so different i decided to redraw the aircraft, instead of trying to use that F4U-1D with modifications.

Gérard
LFMO
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Re: F4 Corsair

Postby Galloglas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:37 am

Dene wrote:Hi
Looking for an awe-inspiring, spectacular...screenshot of the F4 Corsair

Anyone?

Well, maybe not "spectacular" but this is what I captured for 'ya this weekend. I don't know if this is what yer after or not....

I'll leave them a week or so...

Brian
Galloglas

Return to Aircraft