Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

FGFS Update fails  Topic is solved

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

FGFS Update fails

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:55 am

It gets to here then errors out:
Code: Select all
[ 39%] Building CXX object src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/__/Scripting/NasalCanvas.cxx.o
/home/truenorthist/fgfs/fgfs/flightgear/src/Scripting/NasalCanvas.cxx: In function ‘naRef initNasalCanvas(naRef, naContext, naRef)’:
/home/truenorthist/fgfs/fgfs/flightgear/src/Scripting/NasalCanvas.cxx:202:31: error: ‘getCurrentTarget’ is not a member of ‘simgear::canvas::Event’
make[2]: *** [src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/__/Scripting/NasalCanvas.cxx.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/Main/CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Is this just a matter of waiting a few days, or is there something wrong with my install?
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Callsign: CF-CZML
Version: 2020

Re: FGFS Update fails

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:19 am

is your simgear also up to date (pulled, rebuilt and installed) ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:18 pm

It may not be. I did a complete compile about a month ago but things may have changed since. I will recompile simgear.

Thanks Hooray.

Edit: that fixed her up nicely. Cheers! Still, time for some house-cleaning.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Well, maybe not entirely fixed... My joystick isn't working now and I get this:

truenorthist@truenorthist-N56VJ:~/fgfs$ ./run_fgfs.sh --aircraft=c172p --airport=KSJC
Enabling ATI viewport hack
environment init
Loading local weather routines...
KMA20 audio panel initialized
KI266 dme indicator #0 initialized
Electrical system initialized
KAP140 power up
Nasal runtime error: bad/missing argument to split()
  at /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/string.nas, line 235
  called from: /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/joystick.nas, line 717
  called from: /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/joystick.nas, line 726
  called from: /sim/bindings/gui/binding[3], line 2

I wouldn't bother you about this but I do not yet have my windows version working so if this Linux version goes down I am grounded.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:01 pm

is your fgdata (base package) up to date ?
in case of doubt, switch into the corresponding directory (cd $FG_ROOT) and then issue "git checkout master && git pull && git status"
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 pm

I ran the code and got this:

git checkout master && git pull && git statusfatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

I am sorry but I am on new ground here.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:40 pm

you need to run this inside the FGDATA directory, i.e. where the base package is located - assuming that you are using a git clone of fgdata (i.e. through the d&c script)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Do you mean
./download_and_compile.sh

That is what I have been using all along followed by whatever individual component such as DATA, or SIMGEAR for example. I also ran ALL but still have no joystick. Should I rename the fgdata directory to .old and try again?

Edit: Well, as I no longer have a working version of FG on either of my operating systems I might as well delete the Linux version and start fresh. I have a mess of old or renamed directories littered with past mistakes etc. Probably doesn't help having all that junk around.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:10 pm

just cd into the fgdata directory and update fgdata using "git pull" - otherwise, you can also see the wiki to do that using the d&c script.

TrueNorthist wrote in Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:49 pm:Edit: Well, as I no longer have a working version of FG on either of my operating systems I might as well delete the Linux version and start fresh. I have a mess of old or renamed directories littered with past mistakes etc. Probably doesn't help having all that junk around.

don't do that - that's always a bad idea, and typically only done by semi-competent windows users who try to solve problems by starting over fresh ... there's really no reason to delete your OS to update fgdata. Even renaming fgdata would be better, but you should be able to just update fgdata and try again - without deleting anything at all. Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be. :D
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Copy that. I am just getting frustrated with my own inability to fix this. I have snapped out of it now.

i did recompile fgdata but did not rename it first. I ran ./download_and_compile.sh DATA but still no joy(stick). I take it I have to either rename directories first or remove them or the script will simply acknowledge it's presence and move on.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Philosopher » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Before line 717 of joystick.nas, in the same function, there's this line:
 657   var id = getprop(dialog_root ~ "/selected-joystick");

Try this instead:
 657   var id = getprop(dialog_root ~ "/selected-joystick") or "";
Philosopher

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks Philosopher, and you too Hooray. That did the trick. I have been fixated on that line (and line 726 and /string.nas, line 235) for quite a while but couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Not suprising really as code is still a foreign language for me. I simply removed ";" and the joystick came back.

I am still going to do some serious housekeeping and delete all the junk on my Linux drive. Every mistake I have made from day one is still in there, as well as all the .old etc. I could have waited a few days as I usually do when things like this happen, but I am down to only the Linux version right now and I use FG to escape from work stress, which lately has been enormous. :shock:

Thanks folks.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:41 pm

To be honest, I never even looked at the error/line, because I was assuming that we're dealing with unmodified base package files here, which are working for everybody else - so why should we have to default arguments in the first place (which is what P's fix is doing) ? What is it that I am missing here ?

Is this a real bug that needs fixing in the repo ? If so, please send a heads-up to Stuart, so that he can consider/review the patch for the upcoming 2.12 release.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:37 pm

About all I can add to this is the fact that I have not modified any of the base package files, aside from the one change recommended by Philosopher. I did correct the url for openscenegraph a while back but that is it. FG had been crashing recently (it would quit to terminal) but I assumed it was my rendering settings and I had been fiddling with them. The crashes have completely stopped now, even with the shaders at full. (No random builings) The weather is now loading better as well. Before I would get pop-ups saying such and such failed to load and all the clouds would dissappear and typically a crash would soon follow. That no longer occurs. At least, not yet.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:44 pm

FG abruptly closed again and booted me back to terminal. I am getting repeated instances of this:
Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context
  at /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/geo.nas, line 242
  called from: /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 167
  called from: /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 119
  called from: /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 91
  called from: /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 270
  called from: /home/truenorthist/fgfs/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 346

It reoccurs at regular intervals. Does it have anything at all to do with FG shutting down suddenly? Should I "default" all those lines as I did with the joystick problem? (ie: remove the semi-colon at the end of the line)
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Return to Compiling