Board index FlightGear Development Documentation

READ-ME (text-file) formatting request

Discussion of the FlightGear documentation, how it can be improved and coordination of people working on it.

Re: READ-ME (text-file) formatting request

Postby Hooray » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:33 pm

That solves a problem within FlightGear itself, but what about individual aircraft packages? (Which, by the way, is what prompted this thread in the first place.)

As of 2.10, we do have a pretty simple, but integrated, "doc file viewer" (for plain text) that also handles CR/LF for different platforms properly.

It is up to aircraft developers to make use of that feature, or provide docs in another format, such as PDF. We can only really "enforce" best-practices by requiring base package aircraft to follow certain rules.

It would be possible to use the canvas system to render formatted output, i.e. a subset of HTML or even LaTex
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Hooray » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 pm

A LaTex/PDF wrapper is now implemented and added by Stuart as part of 2.12+ https://gitorious.org/fg/getstart/commi ... 05560cce0b

For the PDF, see: http://mapserver.flightgear.org/git/?p= ... df;hb=HEAD
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:20 pm

There should probably be guidelines for the allowed line width, say for example 60 characters. As of now there is a lot of lines extending past the document edge or getting too close.

But for a first try it looks good (apart from line lengths in some cases) and the links in the table of contents works. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:45 pm

LaTex should actually handle such issues.

I haven't checked, but I think it's because Stuart's Perl script is directly embedding the text file and doesn't use any latex markup to control line-wrapping behavior through some parameter. Thus, the perl script would need to insert CR/LF in this case.

EDIT: Stuart just committed a fix: https://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/commit/ ... b64d1ffda9
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to Documentation