Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Atlas like application on iOS

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Re: Atlas like application on iOS

Postby doedje » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:41 pm

I am rather new here on the forum (and to FG in general)
Just wanted to let you know that I am very happy with FGMap (using it on both iPhone and iPad).
It helped me a great deal in finding my way around, especially in the beginning, now I am learning to navigate using VOR/DME icw printed maps...

One piece of advice I'd like to give (since I am now already in the process of writing you a msg...):
The icon of the plane is now in the center of the screen, I would find it more useful to center it in the apparent mapview (thus excluding the instruments)

keep up the good works!
doedje

Postby Half Brick » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:43 am

Hi,

Your app is great! However, it would be useful if we could hide the "FlightGearMap v. 1.x.x".

Also, could you make it possible to show the intruments alone. This way, if we have multiple devices, we could focus more on the map or instruments, whatever the case may be.
Half Brick

Postby mahela007 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:19 pm

The "mail to myself" button causes the app to close..
Where can I get the mobatlas file?
mahela007

Postby bluejayde67 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:31 am

Hi,

I have get the mobatlas.xml config file via E-Mail but where can I find the Protocol directory?
I use FlightGear v2.12.1, OS X 10.9.1, FG Map v1.4, iOS 7.0.4

Thanks and a nice X-mas time.
bluejayde67

Postby bluejayde67 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:41 am

Sorry, I have found it.
Here's my answer:

Right click the FlightGear App in OS X Finder and open package, go to
Contents | Resources | data – there you can find the "Protocol" directory.
bluejayde67

Postby Spencer61 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:00 pm

I just downloaded the latest version of your app to my iPad. How do I access the config page, please? When I start the app, it goes straight to the moving map/instrument display. It also means I have no way to email myself the "mobatlas.xml" file, either. I'm very new to flightgear, so please be sparing with the command line entries , or, alternatively, give a complete dumbo's explanation!
Thanks in advance,
John
Spencer61

Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Spencer61 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:07 pm

I've somehow got the android app to work on my cheapo 9" tablet running android 4.0.4 - see ludomotico's thread elsewhere - heaven knows what I did right. As for the mobatlas/andatlas.xml files, I just copied the text into xml notepad and saved it as an xml file, despite a warning that the file was lacking a style or some-such. Anyway it worked and I was able to get the app working to my satisfaction.
Nevertheless, I'd still like to get this iPad version going, too, if only to make use of the (slightly) larger screen. I await any pointers to help me achieve this end.
Regards and happy new year to all,
John
Spencer61

Postby PetteriP » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:36 am

Maybe a little late for an answer to Spencer61, but anyway:
Hitting lower left hand corner of your iPad screen will pop up the config menu - even if you don't see the gear symbol down there.

Myself I have the same problem with mahela007 above:
When trying to email the .xml file to "myself" the app crashes without sending anything.
Perhaps my email settings are somehow off on the iPad, I did check them but don't want to add or change any of the mailing settings.

So, if anyone could point me to a download or, even better, send me the file, it would be highly appreciated!
EDIT:
Perhaps it would be OK for one of you who have the mobatlas.xml file to post the content here as a text, we who don't have it could then copy it and save it as xml.
After all, it's open source so it's available anyway, right? Of course the updates would pose a problem later on, but at least we could have it working while other issues are being dealt with.

Cheers,
-P
PetteriP

Callsign: PP-7
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby hamzaalloush » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:21 am

spencer, i have used the iPad version.

the config is hidden under the instruments in Ipad's landscape mode, change to portrait view and you will see it.
hamzaalloush

Postby Spencer61 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks, Petter. Found it straight away after changing to portrait. mobatlas.xml also on its way, too! I'm off to have a play!
John.
Spencer61

Postby Spencer61 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Had a quick go around the south coast of England in my Mosquito. The app performed perfectly, although I'd like to be able to zoom out to help with navigation. I feel another period of playtime coming on!
John
Spencer61

Postby PetteriP » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:16 am

Sweet, great that it worked out for you, John.
Now, where would I get my hands on one of them mobatlas.xml files...? ;)
-P
PetteriP

Callsign: PP-7
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Spencer61 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:24 pm

PetteriP,
Hope the mobatlas file that I emailed you worked OK. If not, let me know.
To the OP. Is there any way to substitute, say, the half-million lower airspace aeronautical chart instead of the street map/satellite maps? Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick about the maps, etc. Not sure how the Atlas system works, what sort of file structure the map sections use, for example. I have the British Isles aero maps in jpg/png form but have no idea how to use them, except to print them out! One might as well have the originals on your knee for navigational purposes - but then that's just like the real thing, I guess!
John
Spencer61

Postby rsmck » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but as a feature request it'd be nice if jcuk would consider releasing a 'panel only' version of this, sort of FGPanel for iPad ?

I considered trying to write one myself but it seems that most of the work is already done in FlightGear map, just needs the instruments in their usual '6-pack' arrangement occupying the whole screen without a map - would be an ideal way to have a standard instrument panel without needing multiple monitors.
rsmck

Postby Spencer61 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:26 pm

rsmck,

If all you want is an instrument display and you have an Android tablet, try the app as described in the thread "Atlas-like application on Android". It has the facility to display just instrumentation if I remember correctly.

John
Spencer61

PreviousNext

Return to Atlas