Board index FlightGear Development New features

Bombable-FireFighters

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Bombable-FireFighters

Postby Michat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi all.

Bombable is a great addon for FG that is focus in dogfighting, I think would be great also to use Bombable for firefighting, so in this way we can use, cannadair, dromader, helicopters, catalyna, goose, tankers.. with many more multirole ideas.

My propossal is to adopt-adapt the name for the Bombable-FireFighters, offering even more to this awesome dev work by user Flug.

User can make evacuation from the roof of a skyscraper on fire, can make airwatering (tanker), move firefighting vehicles on MP or fight against a big country fire.

From my point of view, some missions can be easily edited for that, however I'm pretty bad with code.

Well, how about this idea, do you like it?
Michat

Version: 191b

Re: Bombable-FireFighters

Postby AndersG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Fire fighting over MP has been supported in FG since version 2.0.0. Check the wildfire settings dialog under Environment->Wildfire Settings and the FG wiki.

The number of aircraft supporting fire fighting is not large, though. The only one in fgdata I can recall now is the PBY Catalina flying boat (however, it looks like its support for wildfire has been removed?).
The wildfire-part of adding water, foam or retardant drops to an aircraft is just a few lines. E.g.:
Code: Select all
var resolve_impact = func (n) {
  print("Foam impact!");
  var node = props.globals.getNode(n.getValue());
  var pos  = geo.Coord.new().set_latlon
                 (node.getNode("impact/latitude-deg").getValue(),
                  node.getNode("impact/longitude-deg").getValue(),
                  node.getNode("impact/elevation-m").getValue());
  wildfire.resolve_foam_drop(pos, 10, 0);
}

Setting up a suitable submodel to simulate the fall of water/foam/retardant to determine where it hits the ground and providing a suitable visual representation requires additional work.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Return to New features