Board index FlightGear Development Documentation

Fork manual into user guide and installation guides

Discussion of the FlightGear documentation, how it can be improved and coordination of people working on it.

Re: Fork manual into user guide and installation guides

Postby Hooray » Sat May 04, 2013 9:51 pm

as was mentioned earlier, there are a bunch of convertors available - from our POV it would just be interesting to see just how messed up the generated output really is :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Fork manual into user guide and installation guides

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 am

I don't know about Stuart, but if I had to incorporate someone's text into my LaTeX document, I'd much prefer plain ascii over machine-generated LaTeX. Machine-generated LaTeX often has all sorts of exotic macros to get it back to something WYSIWYG. If you don't have tons of math or similar, it costs maybe 15 minutes to get 30 pages of ascii text properly formated. Since you don't have to micro-manage, it's just down to inserting a control structure into the text.

I want to give you something formatted better than a plain-text ASCII document

I do appreciate the sentiment, but in practice it probably means one has to take all formatting out of your text to get it back to ASCII, then put the LaTeX formatting back in to comply with the rest of the manual style. So it may not be as helpful as you think.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Documentation