Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FG needs a tutorial section

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FG needs a tutorial section

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Dear pilots,

So it's been a long time since I posted anything to the forums. But this is something that I've been thinking about for a long time. I really think that it would only make FG much better and attract much more people if a 'Tutorials' section gets implemented in the menu. It shouldn't be a hard thing to do, and it would certainly help all the new players with understanding the simulator.

Think about it: what was your thought on the very first time that you loaded up the sim? I know what mine was: "How the heck do i get this plane off the runway????" I assume that I am not the only one who thought this on the first few tries. But this is not just with taking off, a lot of other amazing aspects about this simulator are very vague to new players. And for new players, it's easy to give up and never look at this amazing simulator again.

Now, I can already hear a lot of you thinking: "Just go to youtube and search for tutorials". Isn't that a little bit...weird to say? With eerything in life, It's important to invite and welcome new people, instead of just saying "just find out yourself and we'll see you later". Not saying that there are no good tutorials on youtube, as a matter of fact there are a lot of great ones. But instead of leaving the sim and going on the internet, I think that a new tutorial section should be added in the launcher, with all sorts of tutorials (take-off/landing/carrier landings and take-offs/multiplayer tips/ILS landings etc etc....). This is all about creating a better user experience, something that is very important in my opinion.

-Mitchell
Last edited by DutchPilotMitchell on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Re: FG scares off new players

Postby Gijs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Mitchell,

This is such a good idea that we've already implemented it a while ago! ;-)
Just launch the c172p for example and open the Help > Tutorials dialog. You can then choose from a selection of tutorials.

Since it's quite some wwork to setup a good tutorial, most aircraft don't have any. But the c172p as our default has.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Hey,
I already knew this, but not every aircraft has this, and Im pretty sure that the Cessna doesn't have a tutorial for carrier landings :P
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Postby Gijs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Well, feel free to make something then. It's all documented http://wiki.flightgear.org/Tutorials
Needless to say that I'm not going to commit a carrier landing tutorial for the Cessna. That would probably scare away any serious simmers :-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Haha Obviously :lol:
Oh and I was more talking about like, puttin in an extra tab with videos in the launcher itself rather than when youre already in the similation.
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Postby Groucho » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Frankly the topic and thread content struck me somehow.
The first thought I had was that something severe has happened due to the big, fat headline I encountered.
Then I read the whole post and noticed that the severity implied by the topic headline and the feature request inside did not fit together.

It is correct that tutorials in the sim are helpful for a better experience for novices and pointing out that tutorials are missing at certain areas is a very valid point and thanks for bringing it up - however whether new users are turning away from the sim in significant quantities due to missing tutorials is an assumption made by yourself but spans the whole topic.
So I would appreciate if the topics headline would be chosen in a more sensible way instead of the "yellow press style" :wink:
Makes the reading experience of the forum much more comfortable if the reader can see in advance what the thread is about and choose whether it is of interest for him.

Thanks in advance.
====================
Edith notified me that the topic has been altered. Thanks for doing this. This is highly appreciated.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Return to The FlightGear project