Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

ATC events in Europe and at Marseille - France

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

ATC events in Europe and at Marseille - France

Postby lenny64600 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:57 am

Hello dear airmen,

- Do you wonder whether an airport is controlled or not ?
- Do you wonder where you could go within ATC presence ?
- Do you want your ATC session to be visible to other pilots ?

I come up with an idea : every ATC session gathered in a single website -- http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net
Every ATC is welcome to this website, independent from any organization. I host my ATC sessions at Marseille (LFML) there, and some tutorials / guides will come up soon. If you are an ATC and plan to make some sessions in Europe, you are welcome to add them to this website. This way, other pilots will be aware of which airport will be controlled, and when !

** IF YOU ARE A PILOT
- You see every ATC session that has been scheduled
- You can see some important information about the airport you are going to / coming from
- Soon, you will even be able to file a flightplan (I'm working on that)

** IF YOU ARE AN ATC
- You can plan a new session at any date/time
- You can edit the events you create
- You can provide to other pilots some useful information (FFGcom/Teamspeak, where to download charts, scenery, etc...)
- Soon, you will be able to schedule "regular sessions", by choosing days and time. It will then automatically plan all the sessions at once
- Soon, you will be able to see pilots who has filed a flightplan to/from your airport (I'm working on that)

What do you think about that ?

Please feel free to contact me if you see a bug, because I'm currently trying to make some "crash tests" and need some help. Contact me if you have some "regular scheduled ATC sessions", so that i can add them into the database
Last edited by lenny64600 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*NEW : New website to follow ATC sessions : http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Callsign: LFOK_TW, F-LENNY

Re: ATC events in Europe and at Marseille - France

Postby Johan G » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Nice page. Clean and uncluttered but not sterile. :wink: :D

One point though: Make sure you allowed to use that map and have a proper attribution.

In fact you might want to find a similar free(er) map from a place like Wikimedia Commons. (For a search on some of the Europe maps on Commons click here, it is a bit messy and not so easy to find a similar map, I admit, and most of them, if not all, require attribution.)

EDIT: Do not know how i missed that, but thank you for using UTC times, it is a lot easier on my brain than having to consider time zones, daylight savings time etc. :wink:
Last edited by Johan G on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby lenny64600 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 am

Hej Johan, tack så mycket !

Thank you very much, indeed you're right I will have to change the picture. And it will be better and cleaner (there won't be additional labels such as city or country names.

And now you are able to file a flightplan to/from a controlled airport in the list. Have a good flight !

Hejdå !
*NEW : New website to follow ATC sessions : http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Postby D-EKEW » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 am

A very good idea.
Especially that one can enter a flightplan. Now we "only" need a direct interface with OpenRadar where the ATC can open/close the flightplans, change it if necessary or enter one given by the pilot through Com.

Btw for entering a ATC session, where to put the data and the time (month, day, hours, minutes) is a bit confusing. Some better labelling might be a good idea. I needed two tries to get it right.

ELLX_TWR
D-EKEW

Callsign: D-EKEW, ELLX-TWR
Version: git

Postby OO ZVY » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:03 pm

very good idea.

bgrs

OOZVY
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Flightgear 2020.4.0
OO ZVY

Callsign: OO-ZVY
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby lenny64600 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Hello dear airmen,

I am just reporting some big updates on http://lenny64.free.fr

--> Now, when you created an event you are able to edit it
--> You are now able to see every sessions you planned, and edit them. To do so, edit an event you created, and in the menu will appear "My sessions". It will show you the dashboard.
--> Many bugs fixed (especially when you create an event)
--> Some improvements in the event creation form
--> A smarter form, that will tell you if there is another session planned at the same moment and same airport. It will also refuse the event creation if the begin time occurs before the end time...
--> Main picture update (as Johan suggested before)

Will come soon :
* The ability to see detailed pilots flightplans (flight type, waypoints, etc...)

As usual, you are welcome to test and tell me if something is going wrong !

Bye bye !
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Postby omega95 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:01 am

Hi Lenny,

I'm impressed by the work you've done and on your philosophy of Air Traffic Control in FlightGear - I've tried working with other groups to get the flight planning and ATC scheduling better but most other ATC groups or Virtual Organizations focus more on joining their group, ranking and they're way too specific on partnership programs. As a simple schedule or submit flightplan and fly system, I would like it if we could work out a system for communication between our websites.

--> Our website displays ATC availability in a calender style format
--> When a pilot books a flight at our website to or from one of the airports at the time someone's servicing the airport, the flightplan and depart/arrival time get's send to your system in the form of a flightplan.

I would've suggested more airports but I don't think there's a point to it unless someone actually controls there, so I was thinking we could add them in later?

So, what do you think?
Cheers!
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby lenny64600 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 am

Very good idea.

In the future, I actually should make a kind of "API" to export the future sessions in a CSV format (for instance). That would be great for anyone who want to gather the information about future ATC sessions.

I haven't been able to see your calendar format on your website. For now, in my database I've got several data injected for each sessions :
- Airport name and ICAO
- Session date and begin/end time
- Communication info (FGCOM / TeamSpeak if available)
- Other useful info such as link to dl airport charts
Just tell me exactly what you need and how we could manage working together. I think the best way to inject flightplans in my database is to read your flightplans, treat them and add only at the right place/time ATC is available.

It won't be easy and I'm not working 100% of my time on that project.

Enjoyed by the idea to work with you, I wish you nice landings :)

Bye !
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Postby omega95 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:49 pm

That's exactly what I'm talking about, an 'API'-type system would be great for external users. First, like you said, a generated webpage of data (csv works, but check out XML, so php could access it with DOM), this data doesn't need to be generated or sent continuously, so what about a simply cURL script to send data to all the external websites registered to get your data (make a registration form where the user/webmaster inputs web php to receive the curl data? Shouldn't be difficult, just get the input to store the web url in your database) and whenever an ATC schedules or edits an event at one of your serviced airports, the data is sent to every URL in your table to insert/update the data stored in our database).

And then, when one of our pilot books a flight to or from one of the airports you service, he will be redirected to a new form in the website about the ATC service, where he enters a time (ATC scheduled data sent from your website will be shown there) and if he enters a time in the time-slot you specified, he'll be asked to enter a flight plan and any other data you want. Once he's done with it, we'll store a copy of that in our database and we'll send the table to your website as a pilot registration for a scheduled event.

What do you think? :)

I haven't been able to see your calendar format on your website

Right, because there isn't any yet! I need to make one as soon as we develop the system to transfer data.

I think the best way to inject flightplans in my database is to read your flightplans, treat them and add only at the right place/time ATC is available.

Right but that problem will be fixed because it'll only send the flight data to you if his departure/arrival time matches the time-slot we get from your website, so you won't have to worry about that. :)

It won't be easy and I'm not working 100% of my time on that project.

Don't worry, this is more like a fun project anyway. Hope it goes great though.

Cheers! 8)
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Postby kheitzman » Fri May 10, 2013 1:56 am

JSON would be a great format too.
kheitzman

Callsign: CVAO1
Version: GIT

Postby Johan G » Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 pm

About filing of flight plans, have a look at my post here: Re: Transponder over network.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby lenny64600 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 pm

I have to admit that OpenRadar (and, more essentially, Flightgear) is missing this transponder feature. I would really like to have this implemented, that would be an excellent improvement for pilots who really care about realism.
On the other hand, as far as I can see, "good pilots" (i mean, those who know what a VOR, DME, ILS, SID, STAR, ... is) are very rare when I'm ATCing. That's not a problem : you vector them on the go, and that's great like that. However, I'm not sure they will be able to manage (or even understand) the transponder.

And btw once it will be available in OR, I will give it a try with my cessna 172p. I remember that the B1900d has a native transponder, do you think it is explicitly functional ?

I'm tracking back about your issue with OpenRadar : did you fix your "OR-in-range" problem ?

--------
While I'm here, I will give you some updates at http://lenny64.free.fr

- "Plan a new session" button highlighted at the top of the home page
- Ability for an ATC to "log in" from the menu to acces to his/her dashboard
- New ATC session form improved
- No need to repeat your e-mail and password if your session is already open

- Improved flightplan filling form
- A clearer presentation of flightplans (just hover with the mouse)
------

Cheers, lenny64
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Postby wagnerw » Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 am

Hi lenny,
The squawk feature in OR and FG is on the way, but it requires input to provide the full functionality.
We need to define how I can download a flightplan... Currently I am stuck with the data that I have available. We better define it via XML because if we use a versions we will not run into trouble when we notice that a field is missing. Please contact me directly!
W.
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Postby Michat » Tue May 14, 2013 5:49 pm

I wonder If you could coordinate a single calendar that inside OR could be edited, then transmitted to the several webpages calendars events that they are, almost impossible.

I'm very concerned in to avoid creating the same uncoordinated model that is present today. We have several uncoordinated calendars and a lot uncoordinated virtual airlines. So the real model is not good. NO GOOD
Also we have a mumble server that is active since 4 years ago. Current address is dacer.homeip.net. But now people are also using team speak, raid call, and other mumble servers are opening.

That's not good. In my opinion the big problem is the hermetism that FG's webpage has.

The official Gcalendar is maintained by curt, so if you want to release an event you must send an email first and wait. But there are other alternative Gcalendars.

In my opinion FG's web page must be the epicenter of all activities, I also added that it should be the place where all hangar, airlines and vaos should be nested. FG is loosing some opportunities to finance it's activities for that kind of reasons.

I wonder if a new user can easily find: the tracker, the radar, the virtual airline, the mpmap, the software for voice FGCOM-Mumble, and the huge list of web pages, hangars, and more that they need to fly. Hopefully we don't have passwords.

Your work is excellent, and quite appreciated. I wonder if you are thinking the possibility about to use OR like a real interface to centralize, edit and release all schedule information. That's will be cooool. I wonder if FG web could help, including some integrations with your great services.

I wonder if FG understand that the user should be able to open a virtual airline inside FG web structure, a project, an hangar, edit an released articles, be part of a VAT, a development team and more. On a centralized an easy free way.
I believe this is an old and populated question.

Thanks for sharing
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby lenny64600 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Hello Michat and everyone,

Thank you for sharing what's on your mind, I find that very helpful. My goal with that website is to provide other pilots the information about controlled area at a given time.
At this point, to summarize up, we've got 2 things :
1. ATC "sessions" where there is ATC presence at a given time and given airport
2. Flightplans management, for pilots who want to make it as much real as possible

Since the website is open, several people asked me to make an "API-like" to make external requests :
- How can I automatically know if an airport is controlled or not at a given date/time ? (virtual airlines)
- How can I automatically gather flight plans ? (OpenRadar, virtual airlines, etc...)
- How can I automatically file flightplans from my web interface (virtual airline, etc...)

I think Michat pointed something very interesting and important : it is difficult to gather each service (hangars, virtual airline, flight clubs, flight schools, ATC services, charts, docs, etc...) in only one place. In fact, as Michat said, the best place to get every service you want is the official FlightGear.org !
As it is a free and open game, I understand people who want to make up external services, even if they are not very visible to other members of the community.

In the near future, I really would like to make my website become more a "gateway" where you pick information you want. For instance, this week I'm working on a way to "export" the data I have : flightplans, ATC sessions. I already made a simple function : you tell the airport, the date and time and it will tell you if there is ATC at this airport, date and time.
This week, I will also work on flightplan export, and also flightplan filling from an external website.

Once that will be done, I will give you where to get this data in order to implement that to OpenRadar. I'm not familiar with Java, but I may help you for other things...

Bye bye !
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Next

Return to Multiplayer events