Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 2

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 2

Postby Gijs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Because the old What/where did you fly today? topic had grown to An-225 size, we will start from scratch in a fresh topic.

Rules
Based on comments from various users, we've created a small set of rules, in order to make this an even nicer collection of FlightGear.
  • Place no more than 10 screenshots in one post. Please create an album topic if you'd like to show a complete series of more than 10 shots.
  • If you have several nearly identical screenshots (eg. a single aircraft/location from a certain point of view), try to pick the best. No-one is interested in five variants of the same image.
  • To please those with slower internet connections, embedded images should be no larger than 1280x1024 pixels. You may link to larger resolutions of course. If you use the following code, clicking your image will open the large version.
    Code: Select all
    [url=link-to-large-image][img]link-to-"small"-image[/img][/url]
  • Also, try to compress your images to reduce their file size. JPG is a much friendler format than PNG for online images, but even PNG files can be greatly reduced in size by compressing them when saving. Images at the maximum allowed resolution can look fine at (much) less than 0.5 Mb.
  • Avoid linking to non-public files (like Facebook images), as not everyone can see those.
  • Only screenshots and videos showing FlightGear are accepted.
  • Do not quote images; quote the description instead. Also see our quoting guidelines.
  • Media posted here can be selected to be featured on our Google+ and Facebook pages.
What to do when someone does not adhere to these rules?
Please report a post by clicking the ! icon next it, the moderators will then look at it.

How can I contribute to this collection?
Making and sharing screenshots is described in this topic. Videos uploaded to YouTube can be embedded by copying the ID (marked red in this link: youtube.com/watch?v=V1gLFJ8X7BE) and placing it like the following code example:
Code: Select all
[youtube]V1gLFJ8X7BE[/youtube]

Looking forward to your amazing shots!
Last edited by Gijs on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Linking to the older topic
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 2

Postby Martien van der P. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Flying with Douglas dc-3 Dakota from EHAM to EHRD
Last edited by Martien van der P. on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby METAL » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 pm

It was suggested I re-post my topic from the recently retired thread, so I shall. It's funny, as I put them up yesterday and noticed the size of the topic, I thought how the admins were sure to come along soon and rein things in a bit. Guess I was right!

Practicing over the snowy summit of Navajo Mountain on the AZ/UT border. Lake Powell in the background:
I couldn't resist touching down atop Navajo Mountain. A landing of extreme skill and questionable intelligence. Page, AZ is the little tan area in the upper left of the pic:
Then this morning I downloaded and tried out the Yak18T with the re-done yakpak. Nice plane! Handles much like the Lancair 235 but it has AP! I took it for a brief spin around Flagstaff:
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.
METAL

Callsign: METAL
Version: 3.4.0

Postby Trez » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:16 pm

So today i decided to take the F-35 out for a spin.

Grenada Airport(TGPY)..... Early in the morning.... No clouds.... Lightning clear for takeoff....

Grenada we have takeoff.....

Turning North......

Ile Large and Fregate....

Carriacou.... and Union in sight....

On approach to union....

Sadly i didn't get pictures of the landing, i had both hands in use (joystick and throttle) but i did get one on the ground

It was my best flight with the F-35 though with an amazing landing on a short runway (752m!!) the fdm has certainly improved from when it was first released
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby METAL » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:13 am

Since I've never flown the F-35 I may be in error here, but it looks like you're flying around with the speedbrake activated.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.
METAL

Callsign: METAL
Version: 3.4.0

Postby Thorsten » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:09 am

Caribbean adventures...

Can anyone explain to me again just why the FSX demo of the same scenery is supposedly so impressive as compared to our scenery? Because I don't see it - our Caribbean scenery is quite compelling...
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 am

Flying the Concorde this weekend, because she made her maiden flight 44 years ago (2 March 1969)!

PS: Too bad that Rembrandt does not (yet) support anti-aliasing, but overall I think the shot turned out quite nicely.
Gijs

Postby fmg » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:37 am

Bad weather in Berlin.
Rain
Cold
Fog
All gray
But in the end...

There was pretty strong wind there. Only the steam of the power station could hold against it :wink:

f-)
Last edited by fmg on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby StuartC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 am

METAL wrote in Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:13 am:Since I've never flown the F-35 I may be in error here, but it looks like you're flying around with the speedbrake activated.

Its the intake doors. Hes ether flying with some down vector on the engine = intake doors are open in proproprtion , or hes not fully colsed them while in normal flight ( m/M controls both the nozzel angle and the doors )
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby sa7k » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Gijs wrote in Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 pm:[*]To please those with slower internet connections, embedded images should be no larger than 1280x1024 pixels.

About this, just to be more clear, as was said in part 1 of this thread almost always the problem is with the uncompressed png images, not with the size in pixels. So just converting your images to jpeg greatly improves the size in bytes of the image without losing much quality. In my image viewer I can do that simply with a click on File -> Save as... -> and then changing the file extension to jpg.
An example (please Metal understand it is just that your image is in this same page) the image above is 800x500 pixels and it's file size is 1,162,191 bytes and this image
is also 800x500 pixels, but is only 22,162 bytes and the quality is not that bad.
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby Gijs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi sa7k,

I meant to add that, but somehow I forgot to put it on the list. It is now.
Do note that it's not just JPG vs PNG but also compression levels. Saving that example image as maximum compressed PNG already brings it down to roughly 1/6th.

Cheers,
Gijs
Gijs

Postby Martien van der P. » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Flown from a oilplatform to a ship near EGOW with Bell UH-1.
Last edited by Martien van der P. on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Trez » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:53 pm

@ Metal and stuart,

As Stuart stated i had the fan intake open. The fan adds more lift to the aircraft and makes it fly a bit slower which is handy for low level flight(it's super smooth!). The default X52 pro config set one of the rotary axis' to the vector (i think it's either mixture or prop advance).

As a feature request though Stuart could you set the fan to for example mixture and the nozzle to prop advance and still keep the current m/M button as the combined button for keyboard users? It would mean better control and acurate. The real life F-35 uses 2 different controls. a separate control for the fan power would be nice too :D
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby StuartC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:11 pm

it will be controlled by the FCs eventually. Planned to have pre set modes for autohover and short takeoff/landing modes all at the touch of a button.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby jam007 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:18 am

Draken over northern Sweden
jam007

Callsign: LOOP
Version: 2020.4.0

Next

Return to Media