Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

EDDC city models

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

EDDC city models

Postby radi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Some individually modeled scenery models for Dresden city and surroundings. Enriched with ~50k buildings from OSM. Works best with Papillion81's custom scenery. Development repository at https://gitorious.org/fg-radi/eddc-city

Converted from MSFS with permission by the original author, Helfried Miersch
(http://helles-flusi.de)

Converted using xplane2fg
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Conver ... om_X-Plane

Placed in Flightgear scenery using fgopt
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10625

Download
--------
download archive from https://gitorious.org/fg-radi/eddc-city ... ball/maste
or
git clone https://git.gitorious.org/fg-radi/eddc-city.git

Install
-------
copy Objects/ and its subfolders to your scenery folder.
Overwrite existing. Backup first.
Last edited by radi on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Re: EDDC city models

Postby Johan G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Nicely done! :D

If those are compatible with the GPL license, please consider uploading them to the scenery database, as they would then be available to everyone syncing their TerraSync terrain. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby josh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 am

Oh..It starts! This is wonderful! At the weekend I'll fly over the tips of dresden. Yes!
Thanks for your work.
josh

Postby radi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks, 99% of the credit goes to Helfried Miersch.

Johan G wrote in Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 pm:please consider uploading them to the scenery database

Most of them are compatible with the GPL, and I've got permission to release them as such. I've already uploaded the Frauenkirche via the web form

I'd love to see the rest in the scenery database, as well. However, these objects share textures. As I understand, the current state of the web form does not allow shared textures. If anyone knows a way to get these objects into terrasync (without replicating textures), please let me know.
radi

Postby josh » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 am

hej Tom,

I think floatroof...png is one of these terxtures, right? I trust...
Rename these files to the basic name of the model. For example, rename flatroof_2.png to Neumarkt12.png, because Neumarkt11.png is your main texture. Yes, the same texture (flatroof) with different names. You can see also: rename your Neumarkt.png to Neumarkt11.png.
- Files have to share a common name, for instance: modelname.ac, modelname.xml, modelname.png and modelname_thumbnail.jpg
- If you have multiple textures, name them modelname1.png, modelname2.png etc.

the next step:
Open your model.ac in a text editor and replace the texture part (simply search for .png or flatroof_2.png etc).
- texture "Neumarkt.png" replace by texture "Neumarkt11png"
- texture "flatroof_2.png" replace by texture "Neumarkt12.png"
Then you should control your result.

For your model Neumarkt1.ac you should have:
Neumarkt1.ac
Neumarkt11.png your "Neumarkt.png"
Neumarkt12.png your "flatroof_2.png"
Neumarkt13.png your "Fuerstenzug.png"
Neumarkt1_thumbnail.jpg

So you do not need to replace/refit every schared texture in your 3D program, i think. It is also a lot of work, but you should try this.
Hope this will be helpful. Thanks for your models and your work!
greetings
josh
josh

Postby radi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks Josh,

If two models A.ac and B.ac share a texture common.png, I can of course copy that texture common.png to A.png and B.png. But if common.png is, say, 1MB, and I have 5 different models, I end up with 4 MB wasted. And this is not only disk space or terrasync download bandwidth, both of which is rather cheap these days. What's even more precious is video ram. If you have these 5 models in one scene, they suddenly eat up 5 times the video ram. And since textures are no longer compressed in video ram, this is not just 4MB wasted. Plus the increased loading time.

Now, if FG itself couldn't deal with different models sharing textures, I would bite the bullet and copy the texture. But that's not the case, FG deals fine with that. As I understand, It's simply the current submission form which can't handle this case.

I'm not blaming the authors of the submission form, the current form is great for submitting single models with unique textures. However, sharing textures between models is a good thing, and it's just plain wrong to duplicate textures.
radi

Postby josh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 am

Hej,

yes, 1mb is very hard. I didn't see this fact.
Hm...with each model I'm learning :-) I will keep this in my mind.

greetings
josh

Postby zakalawe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 am

radi wrote in Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 pm:Now, if FG itself couldn't deal with different models sharing textures, I would bite the bullet and copy the texture. But that's not the case, FG deals fine with that. As I understand, It's simply the current submission form which can't handle this case.

I'm not blaming the authors of the submission form, the current form is great for submitting single models with unique textures. However, sharing textures between models is a good thing, and it's just plain wrong to duplicate textures.

I agree totally with this, I'm going to ping the script authors for their opinion, in case they didn't notice this thread yet.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby f-ojac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:19 am

Already answered here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14671&start=75#p174891
It's not script-related: the scripts mainly reflect the way the underlying db is set up, which itself relies a lot on feedback of experience.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby papillon81 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi,

this looks very nice. Congrats to the original author and thanks for converting this and bringing it to the FG universe :)

One thing to consider: The original authors page states that he used Google Earth to create textures, which sounds an alarm for me. Can you please make sure those textures are not used when you transfer the work into the scenery DB?
Maybe it is possible to substitute these textures by something similar (and GPL)?

Cheers
Chris
Scenery guy. Currently working on: Terragear improvements for the 850 apt.dat format
Scenery Repo: http://gitorious.org/papillon81/flightgear-custom-scenery/"
papillon81

Callsign: D-PAP

Postby radi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 pm

papillon81 wrote in Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm:The original authors page states that he used Google Earth to create textures, which sounds an alarm for me.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've identified the offending textures. Will replace them with compatible ones (found some suitable on Wikipedia) before the models go into the DB.

I've added 20k models extruded from OSM floorplans. Works best with papillion81's custom scenery. WARNING: serious fps impact. Work in progress. No LOD animation yet. Some facade textures don't quite match with the building geometry. Need more textures, anyway.

radi

Postby zakalawe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:39 am

Depending on how this is organised, the frame-rate impact should be similar to random buildings, and hence not too bad. In particular, you want to batch nearby buildings into block-sized clusters (or even a bit larger, maybe 400m to a side) and try to use as few textures as possible in each cluster - ideally exactly one texture+material. If you do this, the cluster should render as a single VBO on the GPU, which is the most efficient configuration.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby radi » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Update.
Now includes LOD animation (set ranges under View->Adjust LOD ranges).
Partially fixed overlap with static models.
Added more facade and roof textures.

Download: see first post. Enjoy!
radi

Postby f-ojac » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Excellent!
f-ojac

Postby ot-666 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:28 am

Wow :shock: Looks fantastic. :D
Any chance you could do this for LOWI / Austria?
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666

Next

Return to Scenery