Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.10

2.10 using V 2.6.0 Scenery-TerraSync directory  Topic is solved

This is the archive of topics about the 2.10 release candidates.

2.10 using V 2.6.0 Scenery-TerraSync directory

Postby VicMar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Each time I start up V 2.10 the log starts with this:

Starting automatic scenery download/synchronization. Using built-in SVN support. Directory: '/Users/vicmarriott/Desktop/Desk top files/FlightGear 2.6.0 r319.app/Contents/Resources/data/Scenery-Terrasync'.

I have altered some files to make sure it is using the V 2.6.0 r319, and it is.

How do I make V 2.10 use it's own directory for Scenery-TerraSync?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Re: 2.10 using V 2.6.0 Scenery-TerraSync directory

Postby zakalawe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 pm

That's really strange - most obvious explanation would be that --terrasync-dir command line option is set, but I would guess you've checked for that. Of course it could be set in an fgfsrc file too.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby sa7k » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:54 pm

It was just being said on the mailing list that it is on purpose so that it uses the same files and does not redownload the same stuff again.
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30425868
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby VicMar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi sa7k,

I think that is a totally different issue, but thanks for chipping in.

@zakalawe,

There are no entries in the command line, so it is not that.

I don't know where to look for the fgfsrc file. Can you advise please.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:04 pm

re: fgfsrc, please see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Fgfsrc

However, this is just a "startup configuration" file for storing default settings - that will be applied absent any other/overriding startup arguments.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby VicMar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:49 am

There is definitely not a fgfsrc file on my Mac. I have searched the whole thing and there just isn't one. I can also confirm there is not a command line steering towards the 2.6 SceneryTerraSync folder.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby f-ojac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:40 am

I agree with what James said (this is a feature, not a bug, to avoid redownloading). It's good to have a specific directory for Terrasync stuff, and it keeps evolving whatever the FG version is, no need to recreate or update it each time a new version comes.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby VicMar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:33 am

Does this mean I will always have to keep my old versions indefinitely?

I ask because I never got a satisfactory 2.8 version.
What if the next new version has a path to the Scenery-TerraSync folder in V 2.8 which I have not kept up to date?

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby fmg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am

VicMar wrote in Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:53 pm:Each time I start up V 2.10 the log starts with this:

Starting automatic scenery download/synchronization. Using built-in SVN support. Directory: '/Users/vicmarriott/Desktop/Desk top files/FlightGear 2.6.0 r319.app/Contents/Resources/data/Scenery-Terrasync'.

I have altered some files to make sure it is using the V 2.6.0 r319, and it is.

How do I make V 2.10 use it's own directory for Scenery-TerraSync?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Vic

Hi Vic,

you're not alone. It is exactly the same behavior here.
I thought this setting was moved into the autosave.xml in the .fgfs directory (path: /User/xxx/.fgfs.). So I tried changing it there, but without success. It stays at V2.6.0r319. So no idea for now from where FG gets this.
Interesting to see would be what's happening if you don't have 2.6 installed. But I don't want to delete my installation just to find out.
In the scenery download dialog window the path is displayed, but you can't change it. Now I find out, that clicking on the down-arrow on the right offers you another path, if you defined one via the command line. But if it's already defined, choosing it again doesn't make much sense. My dream would be, that FG create a scenery-terrasync directory in /data per default just not to confuse new users and you could browse your directories and choose one via the dialog-window instead. But this might not be realistic for the 2.10 release.

f-)
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby zakalawe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 pm

/User/xxxx/.fgfs is ignored by 2.8 and upwards on Mac - the new location (for Sandbox and other compatability) is /User/xxxx/Library/Application Support/FlightGear

The file is called fgfsrc, autosave is in there, and that's the default TerraSync location too.

Checking out Terrasync to the data directory is a bad idea, since it's inside the application bundle, which we need to not mess with for Gatekeep compatibility on 10.8. Officially under the sandbox-ing rules, Application Support/Flightgear, or if we're being pedantic, Application Support/org.flightgear/, would be the only place we're supposed to write too - that's why I moved FG_HOME to the new place for 2.8
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby VicMar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:52 pm

zakalawe said.
The file is called fgfsrc, autosave is in there, and that's the default TerraSync location too.
Just being pedantic here, but that folder is actually called 'FlightGear'.

What does 'fgfsrc' stand for?
If someone refers to a file called fgfsrc and a Mac user searches for it, they will not be able to find it.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby someguy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

I have a functional installation of 2.10 (2.8 as well). Since the Environment > Scenery Download dialog didn't let me change the TerraSync path to my existing data, I simply created a new folder to match the path it seemed to want (/User/xxxx/Library/Application Support/FlightGear) and copied all my 2.6 TerraSync stuff into it. That seemed like the path (pun intended) of least resistance. When I installed 2.10, I didn't even think about TerraSync, it just worked.

IMHO, if the TerraSync-path field is not editable, then FG should create a new folder on first run, if necessary, and start using it without further ado. It's good to inform the user where his new TerraSync data will be stored, but revealing it in what looks like a form field is misleading and potentially frustrating. If it's actually supposed to be editable, then let's see a Browse button; typing long paths is a heinous, error-prone chore, since paste doesn't work in fgfs. But the automatic generation of a folder in the default location is the best plan.

BTW, a Spotlight search finds no fgfsrc file or folder on my Mac, not even a hidden one.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby VicMar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Someguy said,
... the automatic generation of a folder in the default location is the best plan.
I can confirm that does actually happen. As far as V 2.8 was concerned, this never worked on my Mac, but that could well be just MY Mac. It produced the new file with V 2.10 first time I launched it.

I am happy now it has been explained that from now on there will only be one Scenery-TerraSync folder, and that it will reside at ~/Library/Application Support/FlightGear. It will continue to get updated as long as you have 'Download Scenery on the fly' selected, and will be applied to all future versions of FG without the need to re-download everything again.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby VicMar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Here is how to set the path to the required place (~/Library/Application Support/FlightGear).

First, use the Finder/Go menu and select 'Go to Folder'.

Next, select 'Go'

Delete the 'autosave.xml' file.

Start FG, and in the Mac Launcher, tick the 'Download on the fly' box then 'Start Flight'.

After you have spawned at the airport, go to the 'Environment' menu and select 'Scenery Download'.

Select 'Enable automatic scenery download/update'.

The path should now automatically be set to send any updates to the correct place.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Return to 2.10