Board index FlightGear Release candidates 2.10

[Windows] FlightGear 2.10.0.0 RC1

This is the archive of topics about the 2.10 release candidates.

[Windows] FlightGear 2.10.0.0 RC1

Postby mr_no » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm

Win7 64bit. I started to install and it froze. With or without force 32 on 64bit system it always freezes.
Opened process explorer. I found something called "_setup64.tmp". I killed that process and the installation continued.

Weather setup is now easier, but advanced weather menu is too big for my screen (vertical 768 pix).

Save Flight Recorder freezes and crashes FG. No messages in the console.

Memory management with Random buildings and trees is much better now. No crashes on high settings.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Re: [Windows] FlightGear 2.10.0.0 RC1

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 pm

regarding your #1: that really shouldn't happen - and it does sound like another process may be interfering with the installer here, that typically happens with "scanning" background processes like for example antivirus scanners - are you running anything like that ?

It isn't uncommon for such Windows "daemons" (background processes) to register hooks so that they can intercept system-level API calls and implement background scanning via APIs patched "in-memory" - the software using these APIs may seem "frozen" and unresponsive during the scan, especially given the size of our base package and the resulting installer imager - and "_setup64.tmp" sounds like it was just about to extract the installer image to a temporary location - that's exactly when virus scanners would normally kick in and slow down things even more.

Thus, it would be helpful if you could report back if you are using any such tools and if so, if temporarily disabling them, solves the problem for you so that the installer may proceed from then on.

Thanks
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby mr_no » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 pm

I decided to wait a little longer. After 5 minutes it started to install!
So it does work. The extraction must be slow. Its progress isn't shown so it only appears to be frozen.
mr_no

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 pm

antivirus scanner ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby mr_no » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 pm

Only Windows' own Security Essentials and Antimalware Service.
mr_no

Postby jimkberry » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm

When you installed did you point it to a pre-existing TerraSync folder?

I did, and the result was that the installation dialog appeared to be stuck at "Creating directories" with the progress bar at 0.

I opened Resource Monitor and saw that the setup process seemed to be iterating over my entire TerraSync tree opening each of the files.

Needless to say, this took a while. After several minutes of this the installation moved on and continued just fine.

2 Questions:

a) Any chance this is what happened to you?
b) What the heck was it doing, anyway?

-jim
jimkberry

Postby mr_no » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 am

Yes. That's exactly what I did and happened. Word for word.
So it looks like the problem wasn't my antivirus software. :!: :idea:
mr_no

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:37 am

jimkberry wrote in Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm:b) What the heck was it doing, anyway?

TerraSync is currently based on the subversion revision control system - so once you have an existing "checkout", it needs to look at it in order to see which files you got already, and which ones are missing or need to be updated - that is bound to be fairly slow the more scenery you got installed already via terrasync.

We should probably update the installer to show a note/warning saying that the TerraSync step may take considerable time and that the installer may seem stuck.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby mr_no » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:50 am

Flight recorder is malfunctioning.
Not only am I not able to save a flight tape, but there's another bug.
I was playing a replay 39+ min long then this happened: The replay didn't loop last 90 sec but it said "end of tape" and went all the way to the beginning of the flight. It's not big but it's still a bug.
mr_no

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 am

if possible, please file a bug report via the issue tracker - so that ThorstenB can have a look: http://flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby mr_no » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:43 pm

RC2 - no change.
mr_no

Postby Michat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm

"I did, and the result was that the installation dialog appeared to be stuck at "Creating directories" with the progress bar at 0."

I use CCleaner, registry cleaner before, in order to get progress bar working.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Kabuki » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm

It's always taken a very long time to install. Just... wait...

The sim itself crashed while loading, but ONLY the first time. It's been fine since then. And I like it a lot. It seems faster. Improvements to the interface, it's great.

And now I see there's an RC2 already.... it takes too long to download at 72 Mbps. Probably just a dinky little patch, too.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:10 am

Kabuki wrote in Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm:The sim itself crashed while loading, but ONLY the first time.

For the release after 2.10 we should probably consider adding a simple strack trace signal handler via backtrace() on *nix platforms (i.e. Mac and Linux), or just by linking in libSegFault.a
And we already have optional Google PerfTools support, so we could just as well support Google BreakPad, too - which would give us this functionality for all supported FG platforms (used by Mozilla, Chrome etc): http://code.google.com/p/google-breakpa ... thBreakpad

Breakpad is a library and tool suite that allows you to distribute an application to users with compiler-provided debugging information removed, record crashes in compact "minidump" files, send them back to your server, and produce C and C++ stack traces from these minidumps. Breakpad can also write minidumps on request for programs that have not crashed.

Breakpad is currently used by Google Chrome, Firefox, Google Picasa, Camino, Google Earth, and other projects.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to 2.10